Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I save rusted chain and pedals?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-30-21, 11:00 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

So, my Rivendell was put in "covered storage" over the winter, which turned out to be basically "stored outdoors under a very small overhang near an area that was heavily salted in the winter" - the chain and pedals (and some other parts) are now quite rusty. The chain was an almost new silver SRAM PC 890, but is now completely covered in rust - although it still flexes just fine. The pedals are cheap Shimano SPDs.

Can I salvage the chain by cleaning it, or is it trash? I assume the pedals will be OK with a scrub and some lubricant.
Old 04-30-21, 11:26 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i've seen worse retrieved over in the "classic and vintage" section. so, i'd say yes if the pedal bearings aren't toast and the chain isn't too stretched.
measure the chain to see if it's even worth it. otherwise, a light oxalic acid bath (or other rust removal) and nice soak in gear oil
the pedals will need dismantling to clean effectively. in the future, though, they may tend to rust a little easier than before since the metal has been compromised. that can be mitigated with occasional spraying of lubricant
Old 04-30-21, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I used to "save" worse on the bikes my kids left in the rain and didn't ride for days. If you aren't going to put many miles into the bike anyhow, then if you can get the chain and everything to loosen up and shift right you don't even need to remove the rust.

It's mostly cosmetic and the chain flexing will get what needs to be gotten. Though if you plan to ride the bike a lot and frequently, then changing out the chain soon and cleaning the other stuff up might make gears and things last a tad longer.
Old 04-30-21, 11:55 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
On a chain like this I would first hit it with PB-Blaster. Then hit it with Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Then hit it with motor oil. Then see what's left...

As a matter of fact I would probably coat the entire bike with ATF then wipe it clean and see what I got...

But that's just me...

Nice Bike!
Old 04-30-21, 12:16 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by zandoval
On a chain like this I would first hit it with PB-Blaster. Then hit it with Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Then hit it with motor oil. Then see what's left...

As a matter of fact I would probably coat the entire bike with ATF then wipe it clean and see what I got...

But that's just me...

Nice Bike!
you're braver than me, amigo. ATF is nasty stinky stuff. i wouldn't put it all over a bike. i mean, all the time you have to handle it. gets on your skin...eww. wear disposable clothing!
Old 04-30-21, 07:31 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’ve recovered a couple of ugly looking (i.e. rusty but not worn out) chains by soaking them for a few days in EvapoRust! It’s important though that the chain is completely free of dirt, oil and/or grease as those things prevent the EvapoRust from getting to the rusty parts. RE: the pedals, I’ve not had to refurb any rusted like the OP’s but EvapoRust may work here too. I would disassemble as much as possible as it will be hard to get the grease out of the spindle bearings before soaking in EvapoRust. The chainring bolts look to need some attention too!
I hope the OP finds a more appropriate storage location for his bike next Winter.
Old 05-01-21, 08:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
A wire brush wheel on a drill will blast all that off no problem.
Old 05-01-21, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Why bother on the chain? Chains are cheap. Get a new one and go ride.

The pedals don’t care if they are rusted or not. That’s just cosmetic. Ride them enough and the rust will wear off. Personally, I’d be just as concerned about the aluminum bits. Aluminum doesn’t endure salt any better than iron does. It oxidizes but the oxide isn’t red like rust. I can see white spots on the aluminum that are due to salt corrosion. Rinse your bike well to remove as much of that salt as you can.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-01-21, 10:49 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I would say the chain is the least of your worries. I would be more concerned about the hubs, bottom bracket, headset, seatpost and rear derailleur.
It's a Riv, so you spent some coin; it's worth taking it to your LBS for an overhaul/tuneup. Unless you do your own wrenching.

Otherwise, it's kinda fun to see a Rivendell all roughed up like that. Looks tuff!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-01-21, 10:50 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by robo
out of curiosity, what shifters are you using on this bike? and, do you/can you have any full driveside shots of this bike? i have a thing for nicely equipped rivendells . just if you don't mind
Old 05-02-21, 12:43 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Submerge the parts in diesel overnight. Then regrease the bearings of the pedals before assembly.

I'd replace the chain if it was mine though.
Old 05-02-21, 01:20 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
The answer depends on your means and goals. I personally would replace the chain. If I were in my younger more boot strapping days I'd put some oil on that chain, go for a 20 mile ride to work loose whatever corrosion is on the inside, then properly clean, measure, and if passing re-lubricate the chain at the end of the ride.

Pedals, purely a cosmetic concern, you can probably shine up with a green scotch-brite pad (and the same on the bottle cages), although some time with a chemical rust converter on the disassembled exterior parts would be a more thorough solution.

As above, do consider what might be inside the brake and derailer pivots, etc.
Old 05-02-21, 01:49 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
As long as the links aren’t frozen, I’d consider the chain salvageable. Stiff links means rust inside that you’re never going to get out. And rust is harder than steel. It’ll act as a grinding compound and accelerate wear to ridiculous levels.
Wire brush, the chemical method of your choice or ignorance can be applied to the outside rust.
Old 09-10-21, 03:01 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I scrubbed the bike down with plenty of detergent and water (both to get salt and general grime off), then soaked the chain in a citric acid bath for a few days. Then baked it in the oven to dry it, and gave it a good lube. I checked it with a chain stretch gauge and it's still got at least 50% life left in that respect, and it's now working fine again.
It was harder to get the salt pitting off the aluminum but I'm assuming that now that the salt itself is gone, it's purely a cosmetic issue.
Likes For robo:
Old 09-10-21, 05:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I'd be concerned about the interior of the frame. Hope you used plenty of Framesaver or whatever. At least pull the seatpost and check. Also, the twined chainstay wrap will encourage rust if the paint beneath it is not flawless.
Old 09-10-21, 09:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
That poor bike. I bet you could find 1000 members on this forum who could give that bike a nice loving home indoors and save it from shivering outside under a cheap tarp soaking up all the humidity and stuff that blows underneath it. It isn't some Huffy from Wally-Mart here, it is a good quality bike that deserves love even if not ridden in winter should at least be loved and cared for at least somewhat.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-11-21, 02:48 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
DOH! Broke my own rule and didn't check the dates...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics