Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

And you thought it would never happen

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-27-21, 10:42 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

Fly by wire brakes. Please no.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-electronic-braking-patent
Old 05-27-21, 11:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
That's odd. If you're going to do that, you might as well make it wireless/hoseless and put the receiver/reservoir in the caliper. I mean, I'm not ready to put my faith in that kind of product, but if you're going to do it...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-27-21, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Next thing you know we'll have bikes with electric motors that provide pedaling assist. Probably be called something dumb like "eBikes."
Old 05-27-21, 11:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's odd. If you're going to do that, you might as well make it wireless/hoseless and put the receiver/reservoir in the caliper. I mean, I'm not ready to put my faith in that kind of product, but if you're going to do it...
I can see riding a bike where, if you forget to charge your battery, you can't change gears. But one where you can't stop? Nuh-uh.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-21, 11:13 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
I can see riding a bike where, if you forget to charge your battery, you can't change gears. But one where you can't stop? Nuh-uh.
Exactly. I'd want to see multiple redundancies and a good track record before I'd be an adopter.
Old 05-27-21, 11:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Exactly. I'd want to see multiple redundancies and a good track record before I'd be an adopter.
It would have to lock the brakes BEFORE you start a ride if there's not sufficient charge.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-21, 11:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I knew they would happen. it is becoming more common in high end cars why not on bikes?

I agree yes would like to see some redundancies but if you can stop one of those fancy Mercedes Benzsszs why not something on a bike, make it lighter and maybe better feel.
Old 05-27-21, 11:21 AM
WhyFi

It would have to lock the brakes BEFORE you start a ride if there's not sufficient charge.
Why not during a ride?

Warning: low battery. Locking discs in 10... 9... 8...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-27-21, 11:27 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 1,427 Posts
HOLD ON! If it's wireless it means the man is going to know when I'm braking! I will not have my braking tracked! sarcasm/off

It sure would be sweet having a bike with no visible cables. I'm in. It would really not be pleasant to get your e-brakes hacked, though.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-27-21, 11:31 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I am curious about some of the details - it mentions a dynamo connection. It seems like you could do a standard that this only works if the bike has a dynamo for the calipers... but then why would you put the hardware in the levers?

This really leaves me with so many questions...
Old 05-27-21, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Do you suppose Shimano sometime files patents on things they have no intention of pursuing, just to throw off the patent-watchers (the folks trying to divine what the next generation of Dura Ace will be)? They probably have enough money to file frivolous patents.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-21, 11:42 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I always thought that this would happen - once we had wireless shifting, the completely wireless cockpit was only a matter of time. This sounds like the first step in perfecting electronically actuated brakes - eventually we'll have wired brakes with/or without hydraulics (if we don't have to transmit braking force from the levers to the calipers, we don't really need hydraulics if we can actuate the pistons directly) and ultimately fully wireless. If we can operate fully electronic airliners, I think we can manage reliable electronic bicycles.

Last edited by Litespud; 05-27-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-21, 11:47 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
bosch has come out with anti lock brakes for their e bike motor setup so it is changing.
Old 05-27-21, 11:48 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Litespud
I always thought that this would happen - once we had wireless shifting, the completely wireless cockpit was only a matter of time. This sounds like the first step in perfecting electronically actuated brakes - eventually we'll have wired brakes with/or without hydraulics (if we don't have to transmit braking force from the levers to the calipers, we don't really need hydraulics) and ultimately fully wireless
but I wonder how you would deal with feel or modulation?
Old 05-27-21, 11:49 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
KERS system FTW
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 05-27-21, 11:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
but I wonder how you would deal with feel or modulation?
Haptic feedback is already a feature of many electronic controls. My brother flew fully fly-by-wire Airbuses - pretty sure the little joysticks has artificial "mechanical feedback" built in - I'll ask him.
Old 05-27-21, 11:54 AM
fooferdoggie 

Haptic feedback is already a feature of many electronic controls. My brother flew fully fly-by-wire Airbuses - pretty sure the little joysticks has artificial "mechanical feedback" built in - I'll ask him.
that would be interesting.
Old 05-27-21, 12:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked 3,539 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
That looks like electric brake assist, not quite brake by wire.

A little hard to tell from the drawings.

Old 05-27-21, 12:24 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
They don't.

I fly an Airbus and it's what I miss the most from a "normal" airplane. You lose the "feel."

Luckily (or sadly) we don't race Airbuses and don't need to take them to their limits. The lack of feel however, is a bit of a pain during gusty/crosswind landings though. The Boeings in this aspect are more "pilot friendly"

Along the lines of this thread, the Airbus also has electronic braking... so you do put your life in the hands of computer braking more than you'd think There are 2 redundancies built in. Again, because of lack of feel, if you lose the computer, it can be easy to lock up the brakes if you switch to manual (you have the other guy monitor the brake pressure indicator). The last option is the emergency/parking brake (which, ironically enough), is also electronically controlled.

Interestingly, FBW and autobraking wouldn't exist if they weren't the overall safer (and more efficient) option. However, again, the use case is what's key.

Maybe electronic assists for safer braking for the average cyclist, but manual for the competitive crowd?

I also watch a lot of Formula 1 racing and they have BBW but only for the rear brakes... the front brakes are conventional (and work as a backup).

Last edited by Metallifan33; 05-27-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 05-27-21, 12:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
HOLD ON! If it's wireless it means the man is going to know when I'm braking! I will not have my braking tracked! sarcasm/off

It sure would be sweet having a bike with no visible cables. I'm in. It would really not be pleasant to get your e-brakes hacked, though.
​​​​​​I can sell you a thing that'll activate someone else's brakes. How much is that race worth to you?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-27-21, 12:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I agree yes would like to see some redundancies but if you can stop one of those fancy Mercedes Benzsszs why not something on a bike, make it lighter and maybe better feel.
Well, those big Mercedes Benz vehicles have a correspondingly big battery and an alternator to keep that battery charged while the engine is running, so there is considerably less risk of losing power to the brakes than on a bike with brakes controlled by a small battery with no charging mechanism on the bike.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-27-21, 01:39 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I said it would happen on about every thread that's come up with a similar subject. My idea was that a touch strip/pad running the length of the handlebar might eventually replace the levers in the future.

Last edited by seypat; 05-27-21 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 02:02 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Luddites! But seriously, at what point do they stop being bicycles (never, I guess, if they still have two wheels)—a relatively simple, low-tech, accessible human-powered machine—and become just another expensive, high-tech gizmo? To each their own, I suppose. I'll continue riding old junk.
Old 05-27-21, 02:50 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Luddites! But seriously, at what point do they stop being bicycles (never, I guess, if they still have two wheels)—a relatively simple, low-tech, accessible human-powered machine—and become just another expensive, high-tech gizmo? To each their own, I suppose. I'll continue riding old junk.
Tbh thats the problem I have with the whole ebike trend: they're motor bikes, not bicycles. If I wanted to ride a motor bike, I'd have taken up motorcycling. They're awesome for people with reduced mobility, but as a default option for everyone? No thanks.
Old 05-27-21, 03:32 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I can sell you a thing that'll activate someone else's brakes. How much is that race worth to you?
That's why I'll be making little tin foil helmets for my disk brakes.
Likes For MattTheHat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.