Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

A sub-forum for brifters?

Old 06-09-21, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
i havent been shy with my suggestions and you havent been shy with your passive aggressive as well as outright aggressive snark.

In threads discussing the new subforum which is on a message board, i have stated my opinions. Ive done that since this is literally a place to state opinions. That seems quite reasonable.
The forum was created because a user suggested it. Since a user's opinion created the subforum, its reasonable to think that another user's opinion will be heard. Go snark about the user who suggested the forum since they are 'telling the mods how to do their jobs' if you want to be consistent.

1- i am not telling the mods how to do their jobs.
2- i fully recognize mods volunteer and the job is thankless.
3- i have been vocal about not forcing threads into the subforum since that practice is so very rarely done in all other forums. That is user feedback.
4- do you think users should just stay quiet and never discuss changes to a system that benefits from the users actually using the system? This is a symbiotic relationship- message board and users. Feedback from both sides helps the relationship continue.

Its great that you have recently discovered bikes with integrated shifting into the brake levers. If you post questions on the road forum about your older bike/older tech, you will have answers. I know this because people do it all the time. If you post questions on the c&v forum about your newer bike/newer tech, you will have answers. I know this because people do it all the time.
Im not sure what language you think you need to speak to post about your bike on the road forum- its the same language you will need to post about your bike on any of the forums.

You and mods seem to think the circle of c&v and circle of road dont/cant intersect so another forum was needed to bridge the gap. Reality is that the circles are a pretty significant overlapping venn diagram.

tl/dr
Old 06-09-21, 01:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Sure then Ill be done, unless more nonsensical threads are moved into there while a ton of threads about MTBs, lights, GPS, nutrition, etc are left on wrong forums.
If moving threads is going to happen, then I would think it would apply to topics for all forums.

But yeah- moving that C&V thread back to where it makes sense would be super great to see.
I would love to have you volunteer to help to do this.

Thank you for the invitation, but I must decline for the same reasons I have given you in the past.
I think that you can give us instruction on how to run this forum properly. Maybe even rebuild some ideas.

But if you do not want to give back or contribute, please don't complain when others do. At least they are putting in effort to grow along with the memberships needs.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-09-21, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

- 7, 8, and 9sp STI bikes are still sold new right now. That level of shifting is still on new bikes, so having a forum for them that is separate from other road bikes is...curious.
- If the forum is really just for early road bikes with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting from the levers then dont put threads that are full of c&v bikes which have been retrofitted with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting since those bikes arent from that era. And really dont put threads where c&v bikes are retrofitted with 10 and 11sp shifting since neither the frame nor the shifting applies to the forum's intent.

Just move this back to C&V. https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...ergos-321.html

And snap to it, mods! This guy hath commanded!
Old 06-09-21, 01:30 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And snap to it, mods! This guy hath commanded!
Chop chop! On my way boss!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-09-21, 01:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't like entomology. It bugs me. See what I did there?
What about Entenmanns? I have a weakness for pastry, but I'm not even slightly tempted by that crap.
Old 06-09-21, 01:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I would love to have you volunteer to help to do this.

I think that you can give us instruction on how to run this forum properly. Maybe even rebuild some ideas.

But if you do not want to give back or contribute, please don't complain when others do. At least they are putting in effort to grow along with the memberships needs.
This is a business. It can pay for people to monitor it, or it can rely on people to volunteer their time.
I pay for membership and I contribute through sharing discussion and helping others with questions about bikes.

My volunteer cup is overflowething so I will not be able to assist here, as already stated. That does not mean I don't contribute and I hope you don't take that view when it comes to all the posters who contribute significantly to this online community.

You seem to have taken the stand that unless someone is a moderator, they don't have a voice. Is that your position? A big red button is next to every post, but you only want suggestions from those who volunteer for the site?
Old 06-09-21, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am saying if more absurdly incorrect threads are moved that I have an interest in, I will mention it in the future too.

Why would you anchor a new forum with a thread that you know doesnt have bike frames from the time period the forum focuses on, and often doesnt use shifting speeds the forum focuses on? Hopefully whoever chooses officially understands that a longstanding thread with regular users from a forum and frames that fit that forum, should stay in that forum and not be used as bait to entice people into another forum.

I tried honey last week but was continually ignored/dismissed(not sure which since, you know, i got no response) by a different mod. So I tried vinegar and it got your attention right away. Then nothing for a handful of days, so vinegar it is yet again, which again got attention.
Looks like I am swarmed with bees due to my vinegar.
Attention you crave?

Gotta say, most forums ban people for arguing with the mods, so be careful what you wish for.
Old 06-09-21, 01:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Attention you crave?

Gotta say, most forums ban people for arguing with the mods, so be careful what you wish for.
Dont take my continued playing out of the saying(it wasnt the actual saying) as anything more than showing vinegar unfortunately was what finally got a follow up response). I dont crave attention on here.
Thanks for the warning on being banned. I havent been mean, insulting, etc. I have just continued to disagree and have pushed for a correction to the new forum, with listed reasons why the correction should take place. Is that ban worthy?...I sure hope not, but nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 06-09-21, 01:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Gosh, nobody has ever solicited my help as a mod.... Seriously, if the sub forum has to stay, I suggest moving it to just under C&V Appraisals so all the C&V stuff is together.
Old 06-09-21, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Dont take my continued playing out of the saying(it wasnt the actual saying) as anything more than showing vinegar unfortunately was what finally got a follow up response). I dont crave attention on here.
Thanks for the warning on being banned. I havent been mean, insulting, etc. I have just continued to disagree and have pushed for a correction to the new forum, with listed reasons why the correction should take place. Is that ban worthy?...I sure hope not, but nothing surprises me anymore.
Once, maybe. But you've posted essentially the same thing over and over and, by your own account, this is the third round of the same campaign.

Take no for an answer already. The reason forums ban people for arguing with the mods is because otherwise it's an endless loop.

I like the new forum. You know where your thread is, go there or don't, and quit acting like this is one of the great constitutional issues of all time.

And, BTW, the best thing about those invites to become a mod is your very long-winded reasons for why you don't have the time. The irony is hilarious.

That unpassive enough for you?
Old 06-09-21, 02:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Gosh, nobody has ever solicited my help as a mod.... Seriously, if the sub forum has to stay, I suggest moving it to just under C&V Appraisals so all the C&V stuff is together.
Speaking of "sub-forums" which is also in the title of this thread, wouldn't it have made sense for the new forum to actually be a Sub-Forum under C&V? And the "Appraisals" forum you mentioned for that matter. These are both regular full forums, not 'sub-forums'.

A sub-forum is like the Road Bike Marketplace subforum in the Road Cycling forum.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-09-21, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Speaking of "sub-forums" which is also in the title of this thread, wouldn't it have made sense for the new forum to actually be a Sub-Forum under C&V? And the "Appraisals" forum you mentioned for that matter. These are both regular full forums, not 'sub-forums'.

A sub-forum is like the Road Bike Marketplace subforum in the Road Cycling forum.

Why don't "underwritten" and "subscribed" mean the same thing?

I knew a U-boat commander who posted on a sub forum, but it was the main sub forum, not the sub subforum..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-21, 02:10 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11895 Post(s)
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,418 Posts
@mstateglfr please leave the thread, you've been disruptive enough. Do not post further in this thread. Your $1 per month gives you no special rights. Period.
Old 06-09-21, 02:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

This is a business. It can pay for people to monitor it, or it can rely on people to volunteer their time.
I pay for membership and I contribute through sharing discussion and helping others with questions about bikes.

My volunteer cup is overflowething so I will not be able to assist here, as already stated. That does not mean I don't contribute and I hope you don't take that view when it comes to all the posters who contribute significantly to this online community.

You seem to have taken the stand that unless someone is a moderator, they don't have a voice. Is that your position? A big red button is next to every post, but you only want suggestions from those who volunteer for the site?
Ummm... You make no sense. The reason that you are upset with the addition of a new subforum is BECAUSE people who are not moderators have a voice. I'm asking you to come and make changes to what you feel the thousands upon thousands of members here would like since you don't like what we do. I'm willing and open to listen but you are not wanting to help.

And that's fine.

And if you dont' like it, you dont have to. Im not expecting everyone to favor our decisions. But if people ask, it gets brought to the table and discussed and we take action or we dont'. Plain and simple. You arent' going to like every single thing on this forum. I'd be surprised if I saw you on every single forum on here. Why arent' you complaining about those?
Old 06-09-21, 02:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11895 Post(s)
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,418 Posts
Siu, I don’t want to hear any more from mstateglfr in this thread, he’s being intentionally disruptive.

I would suggest he PM you to respond. Capishe, mstateglfr?

Last edited by BillyD; 06-09-21 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-09-21, 07:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
What about Entenmanns? I have a weakness for pastry, but I'm not even slightly tempted by that crap.
My mom used to buy that stuff BITD. I’ve never had a sweet tooth, but the cheese stollen was darn good.
Old 06-10-21, 08:04 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
It is a Ph.D in the field of Rhetoric, earned from an accredited USA University, that qualifies me as an expert in language. I didn't attend four years of Evil Medical School to be called 'Mister,' thank you very much. I accept your perspective that it is lazy and inaccurate but that does not stop the culture at large from using it nor does it stop the tide of language fluidity. I know people that still 'dial' their phones to make calls. This is the nature of language. It can change faster than we can.

Either adapt to change or be crushed by it. Choose wisely!
Fire rebuttal, bae.
Old 06-10-21, 09:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Ughhh.... this got moved out of General into Forum Suggestions and User-Assistance to die a lonely death

At the very least move it to the "Old Brifter" forum where it can get some passionate input.
Old 06-10-21, 09:43 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Ughhh.... this got moved out of General into Forum Suggestions and User-Assistance to die a lonely death

At the very least move it to the "Old Brifter" forum where it can get some passionate input.
...if you want passionate input, it should go into Advocacy and Safety.
Likes For 3alarmer: