Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Kinetic Road Machine vs Control?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 11:51 AM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Kinetic Road Machine that I generally use in the winter or in bad weather. It is not always the most inspiring. Thinking ahead to the winter months I am considering using Zwift or one of the other online training programs. I am debating whether it would be worthwhile to upgrade the trainer with the Control unit.

I am not sure if the Control unit making it "interactive" is necessary or much of a plus. If people have found it to be a really significant difference or improvement I might consider the expense. Any thoughts or comments about this?
Old 07-28-21, 05:12 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Necessary? Probably not. You could get away with just using a speed sensor on the rear wheel.

A plus? It depends. I think that the Control Unit simply broadcasts a power number, so it won't give a fully interactive experience. Your on-screen speed in Zwift or whatever will change depending on your power (pedal harder = go faster) but you won't get automatic and interactive resistance changes.

You'd probably be best using your current setup, seeing how much you "enjoy" indoor cycling, then possibly buying a proper smart trainer.
Old 07-28-21, 10:07 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I use a road machine with Zwift and it does what I want it to do. Would I like a smart trainer, yes but there are other things to drop a grand or more on.
Old 07-29-21, 05:33 AM
etw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I use a road machine with Zwift and it does what I want it to do. Would I like a smart trainer, yes but there are other things to drop a grand or more on.
Yes, good point. Although upgrading it by adding the control unit would give me a way to bridge that gap for a lot less cash.
Old 07-29-21, 02:19 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
The control unit adjusts the resistance right? IMO, that's a big plus for Zwift.
Whether it's worth the money or not likely depends on how much you use Zwift and the trainer in general. However, if it is going to be pretty regular, then going with a direct drive smart trainer is a worthwhile investment IMO. I'm certainly happy I got one.
Old 07-29-21, 02:28 PM
etw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, from what I understand it will control resistance. I am hoping it might be a motivation to use it a bit more often. I like the idea of the direct drive trainers, but don't think I can spend that kind of money right now. I have seen some write ups that suggest it is a workable alternative for a bit less money.
Old 07-29-21, 03:48 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I have an older Kinetic Road machine paired with Kinetic InRide.
https://www.kurtkinetic.com/inride
Mine is the older blue tooth only. Works pretty good for Zift, but if i had the spare cash i would want a smart trainer. Still I use Zwift 4 or 5 days during the week before work and on the weekends if there is bad weather. Makes indoor riding much more enjoyable.
Likes For Bolo Grubb:
Old 07-29-21, 03:58 PM
etw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
Mine is the older blue tooth only. Works pretty good for Zift, but if i had the spare cash i would want a smart trainer. Still I use Zwift 4 or 5 days during the week before work and on the weekends if there is bad weather. Makes indoor riding much more enjoyable.
Thanks! Mine has the same. I have used some other training programs, so probably starting with Zwift and getting comfortable using that should be step one.

Last edited by etw; 07-30-21 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-30-21, 10:05 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
I went from the InRide to a direct drive smart trainer. I'm happy I did, and I'd probably say that's the best way to do it. Doing the intermediate step of having a smart trainer that is wheel on probably isn't worth it over just the InRide.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-05-21, 01:14 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
InRide is just a fancy sensor replacement for the standard speed/cadence sensors used to calculate your virtual power. Nothing interactive about it (in reference to "smart" trainer).

OP, are you referring to Kinetic Control Power Unit? Haven't heard anything good about it except that it can be use with the Rock and Roll frame. I love my RM but would not buy one of their control power unit. KK really need to up their game.
Old 08-05-21, 01:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I went from the InRide to a direct drive smart trainer. I'm happy I did, and I'd probably say that's the best way to do it. Doing the intermediate step of having a smart trainer that is wheel on probably isn't worth it over just the InRide.
This is my thinking as well. I bought a Kinetic Road Machine a few years ago, thinking I would mostly use it for warming up for races. The InRide sensor was just a nice bonus and a quick and easy way to get on Zwift. If I had known I was going to spend so much time on the trainer doing Zwift and/or TrainerRoad, I would have bought a direct drive smart trainer, which is probably what I'll do this fall. I wouldn't bother with the Control unit. I'll keep the Kinetic for race warmups, but I'll likely just dedicate an old bike to the new smart trainer set up.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-05-21, 02:27 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by caloso
This is my thinking as well. I bought a Kinetic Road Machine a few years ago, thinking I would mostly use it for warming up for races. The InRide sensor was just a nice bonus and a quick and easy way to get on Zwift. If I had known I was going to spend so much time on the trainer doing Zwift and/or TrainerRoad, I would have bought a direct drive smart trainer, which is probably what I'll do this fall. I wouldn't bother with the Control unit. I'll keep the Kinetic for race warmups, but I'll likely just dedicate an old bike to the new smart trainer set up.
One nice thing with a direct drive trainer is that you don't even need an old bike. Putting your current bike on the trainer is as quick as changing your rear wheel.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-05-21, 04:59 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
One nice thing with a direct drive trainer is that you don't even need an old bike. Putting your current bike on the trainer is as quick as changing your rear wheel.

Also there's no wearing out tyres or having to check tyre pressures or setting roller resistance or even the need to calibrate the trainer (depending on model). Once you go direct-drive, you never go back!
Likes For tempocyclist: