Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Marathon Supremes Onestar vs Addix

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-12-21, 03:57 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts

I just switched from my Onestar Marathon Supremes to the new Addix Tour compound versions, and I feel that the Addix compound added more than a few watts to my pedaling effort. Anyone else went from the gen 2 to gen 3 and felt they've gotten slower and also a little harder around the sidewall?
Old 08-14-21, 12:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The Addix tires have been scoring lower on that bike rolling resistance test website.

I ordered an Almotion about two weeks ago and it hasn’t shipped. I’m beginning to think it’s vaporware. If the seller was out of stock they weren’t clear about it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-14-21, 02:19 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The Addix tires have been scoring lower on that bike rolling resistance test website.

I ordered an Almotion about two weeks ago and it hasn’t shipped. I’m beginning to think it’s vaporware. If the seller was out of stock they weren’t clear about it.
The other evening I went on the Schwalbe website to research some tire information and discovered they do direct sales on the site in the USA from WA. Having read this thread I went to the site and saw the TLE tubeless ready Marathon Almotion tires are available for sale in the 700x 200 and 2.15 size.

​​​​​​I didn't look any further than that. Not every tire listed is available that's for sure.

What amazed me was the wide variety of tires they offer.

There's also a limited time 10% off coupon on the site.

I ended up getting some inexpensive tires for my commute bike, on which on using inner tubes which have shipped FedEx ground with the order filled the same day as ordered.

​​​​​​I was tempted to buy the TLE Almotion tires, but I prefer inner tubes for quick repair if I do get a flat ony way to work.

It was fun to peruse the site on my phone.
Old 08-14-21, 09:25 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
That version is $66 from the UK, too. I was looking to go down a size going from gravel tires to city slicks, not up. The 2" tires would add more than a pound to my bike compared to what's on there now. I found a sale listing of the prior version in 38c listed at Bike Bling but it's been more than a week since I placed the order.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-14-21, 11:12 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
That makes sense. Feels grippier, so I feel it in the pedal effort, especially when I use non-clips. It is a little smooth but the ride isn't gliding over the little holes and bumps. Rising pressure 4 lbs made it a little better. I guess they had to mess with a good formula to differentiate the models. A pity.
I think there's a shortage of bike parts from the COV delays from the entire chain break down, including that Suez boat jam.
Schwalbe is made in Indonesia, so I think the COV restrictions there has affected production scale.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Thanks for that. I just stocked up on more Onestars Supremes. A bit expensive to my usual source but the ride is better on the Onestars.
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
The other evening I went on the Schwalbe website to research some tire information and discovered they do direct sales on the site in the USA from WA. Having read this thread I went to the site and saw the TLE tubeless ready Marathon Almotion tires are available for sale in the 700x 200 and 2.15 size.

​​​​​​I didn't look any further than that. Not every tire listed is available that's for sure.

What amazed me was the wide variety of tires they offer.

There's also a limited time 10% off coupon on the site.

I ended up getting some inexpensive tires for my commute bike, on which on using inner tubes which have shipped FedEx ground with the order filled the same day as ordered.

​​​​​​I was tempted to buy the TLE Almotion tires, but I prefer inner tubes for quick repair if I do get a flat ony way to work.

It was fun to peruse the site on my phone.