Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Love the Townie, hate the long reach to the handlebars-any suggestions?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Love the Townie, hate the long reach to the handlebars-any suggestions?

Old 09-04-18, 07:44 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
How easy is it to remove and reattach the brake levers, grips and shifter over to new bars? Also, would there be an issue with brake cable length if I went for Cruiser Ape bars, for example?

On my Townie 8i, I have a twist-shift on the right-hand side grip.
Old 09-04-18, 11:34 AM
vmcrcr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
How easy is it to remove and reattach the brake levers, grips and shifter over to new bars? Also, would there be an issue with brake cable length if I went for Cruiser Ape bars, for example?

On my Townie 8i, I have a twist-shift on the right-hand side grip.
I didn't have any issues,the levers/grips/shifters moved right over (carefully removing the grips, and using hair spray or gel to reassemble them). I went with a lower rise, so I just left the cable length alone.
They guys over at https://www.ratrodbikes.com/ might have a better answer for you as far as sources for extended length cables, or buy some for a tandem and cut them down.
Old 09-04-18, 03:18 PM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Townie with original handlebars

Townie with cruiser handlebars
Old 09-04-18, 03:21 PM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took my Townie to my LBS and they switched the handlebars for me. Yes, it involved some new cables but it was worth it.
Old 09-11-18, 09:14 AM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not too fond of the far reach either and I was just about to consider changing handlebars. Then I realized if I sat up straighter that my bad knee would "pop" when I pedaled. Bent forward to reach the handlebars and my knee didn't pop. The reason I went with the Townie is because it's the only bike I tested that was easy on my knee. So as much as I wish I could get another handlebar, I'm going to end up keeping it since it magically puts my body in the right position so as to not hurt my knee. That's what's so good about bikes I guess, each one can be customized to your needs and the way you want them to look
Old 09-16-18, 08:22 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deathcrow76
I'd like to see how they look too thanks!
kill the thread! He gets it! Lots of handlebar options - awesome! Lol
Old 09-17-18, 10:19 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by recycledrider
I loved how the Townie felt on my bottom and legs/knees, but felt like I was reaching out too far and wide to reach the handlebars.
I also rode a Trek Verve 3 and loved how that felt, but it was not quite as comfortable in the legs. I was fitted at a quality bike shop, and the associate made several adjustments. Anybody ever swap out the Townie's straight bars for some curved ones?
After trying a pair of "full moon" bars from HBBC I ended up going to a custom fabricator & having him build me what I needed. Would be happy to forward references!
Old 01-21-19, 10:45 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sindy
:d
Only if you don't read any part of it.
Old 05-03-19, 10:53 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Thank You Trestlehed! These are the bars that I want for my bike. Townie 21D
Old 05-04-19, 01:59 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Townie7D
I took my Townie to my LBS and they switched the handlebars for me. Yes, it involved some new cables but it was worth it.
I just found some dude on a bike group or Craigslist with good old Walds, Torringtons or similar old and wide, long bars and did it myself.
Old 05-15-19, 04:53 PM
alloo

New Handlebars

I got the Electra Cruiser Cafe Bars installed on my bike. I love the posture better, the bike seems easier to ride. My other Townie will have Bullhorn Bars.
Electra Townie 21D with Cafe Bars.
Old 06-13-19, 06:57 PM
alloo

Townie 21d w/Bullhorns
Townie with the Electra Cruiser Bullhorn Bars.
Old 08-14-21, 06:46 PM
JanJ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had similar situation as the townie electra works great for my knees & hips but I needed the handlebars to be much closer. I was having to stretch to reach them and my lower back was killing me to the point where I just could not ride like that at all. So after reading countless forums and going to 2 bike shops and ordering and trying on different handlebars, I have a very simple solution. I turned the stem around. They say you are not supposed to do that as it affects how the bike drives/ steers. Well I'm here to tell you it doesn't. There is absolutely no difference in the way you handle the bike and honestly turning it around has been a life saver. I'm so comfortable and zero back ache.
Old 08-15-21, 07:30 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by JanJ
I had similar situation as the townie electra works great for my knees & hips but I needed the handlebars to be much closer. I was having to stretch to reach them and my lower back was killing me to the point where I just could not ride like that at all. So after reading countless forums and going to 2 bike shops and ordering and trying on different handlebars, I have a very simple solution. I turned the stem around. They say you are not supposed to do that as it affects how the bike drives/ steers. Well I'm here to tell you it doesn't. There is absolutely no difference in the way you handle the bike and honestly turning it around has been a life saver. I'm so comfortable and zero back ache.
Well. Since it’s resurrected.

I think you’re correct. I think only the distance from steering axis matters. Not whether that distance is in front or behind the steering axis.

Immediately upon seeing the crank forward thing I understood the idea was to rotate the whole body backwards. And that’s why people find the handlebar position odd.

And I realized if I ever wanted to stand up and go for it, that it would turn into an incredibly awkward bike.

So maybe the handlebars are so far forward so they won’t be behind you if you ever have to stand up and pedal hard.

This is long winded... I guess my conclusion is these are like recumbents for people who aren’t quite ready for a recumbent.
Old 08-22-21, 05:32 AM
C.corri

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
On my townie I did not like the setback of the seat. So I bought a laidback seat post, and flipped it around. this put my legs in a better position and decreased the reach to the bars. This allowed me to setup the townie with similar dimensions of my other bikes, which made the ride more enjoyable.
Old 10-04-21, 02:53 AM
elboomero

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
nice!