Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

26" Tandem Tire Recommendations

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 07:58 PM
Oxbowfarm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are relatively new to the tandem world but have really enjoyed the last year or so on a Cannondale road tandem. The bike is great but we live on and have access to miles of dirt roads that the cannondale feels a bit unstable on. I tried switching the gatorskins (700x28s) for SCHWALBE Marathon Mondial HS 428 (700x35) and that helped a bit on gravel but it cost us a bit when we ride on paved roads. My solution was to pick up a very gently used Santana Cilantro SE as our daily driver around the house and to put the gators back on the cannondale and use that when we go out on pavement rides. The Santana currently has 26 x 2.1" Ritchey Z-Max Knobbies on it. This bike handles the gravel really well but makes excessive road noise and requires a lot more effort to move than the cannondale on pavement.

That said, I am looking for 26" tire brand/style/size recommendations that will provide decent performance on paved roads while still allowing us a secure ride on gravel. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Old 08-23-21, 06:28 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Oxbowfarm
That said, I am looking for 26" tire brand/style/size recommendations that will provide decent performance on paved roads while still allowing us a secure ride on gravel. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Unfortunately, your choices for 26" (559) are very thin these days. We tour/camp long distances on road and trails with Schwalbe Duremes (or Marathons or Mondials). Schwalbe makes great tires, but the Duremes are no longer available. I have been pushing Schwalbe to do another batch of Duremes, they are a great multi-surface tire, possibly SJS cycles (UK) will commission another batch. If you are interested, email a request....another voice. The other Schwalbes are Supremes which are slick and not good off pavement, and Mondials which are expedition tires and an overkill on pavement. So the Marathons then, which are very durable against flats, but heavy. We use Marathons when touring in goathead country.
Old 08-23-21, 09:23 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We use Schwalbe Kojak 26x2 on our (touring) tandem. It's a slick and still in the Schwalbe catalog. On hardpack and dirt roads, it works fine. Not good for loose stuff since there is no tread but I don't take our tandem on loose stuff. Too much excitement upsets the rear admiral.

Tread life is decent and we haven't had any punctures though I do avoid riding in the city and ride mostly on country roads.
Likes For scycheng:
Old 08-23-21, 11:28 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe try something like this?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/he...=228787-156177
Old 08-23-21, 11:43 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
we got these they did had some drag but had a softer feel at the same psi over the marathons. but we have not gone offroad with them yet.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...urricane_hs499
Old 08-23-21, 12:40 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Also, Continental has several tires that they list as available for a 26" rim. Availability may be a different story...

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle
Old 08-24-21, 12:49 AM
kaz1807

Bikes: tandem, pass hunter, recumbent, fixed, folding, shopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We use
  • Schwalbe Kojak 26x2.0" for CoMotion Periscope Trident Convertible
  • Schwalbe Kojak 26x1.35" for Santana Fusion
Both are very smooth and good grip even in wet condition.
We ride on gravel road with care as the sidewalls are thin.
Old 08-24-21, 07:15 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
We have 26 x 1.75 Paselas on our Ibis. They are decent but I wish they came in a 2” width.
Take a look at the Maxxis DTH tire. They are popular for mixed surface. I have them on my rigid Stumpjumper and like them a lot.

(edit) also see this thread from the C&V forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...el-thread.html

Last edited by due ruote; 08-24-21 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-24-21, 08:04 AM
Oxbowfarm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses!

This gave me a lot to consider and think about for I was originally looking at going with a 1.9" tire or so. You all are right about the lack of stock especially on the larger widths. I ended up going with a Michelin Protek Cross 1.6" they should be here by Friday. I will give a review after we use them for a bit. I hope I did not make too much of a mistake, but if I did they were only $20 so I will not cost me too much. I took the bike out on our dirt road for the first time yesterday. The knobby tires have to go. Not sure how they could have put these on this bike (these are OEM). The front wheel kept picking up small rocks and lodging them in the forks and then spitting them out like popcorn. That can't be good for the chrome or for anyone riding next to us!
Old 08-25-21, 09:20 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oxbowfarm
This gave me a lot to consider and think about for I was originally looking at going with a 1.9" tire or so. You all are right about the lack of stock especially on the larger widths. I ended up going with a Michelin Protek Cross 1.6" they should be here by Friday. I will give a review after we use them for a bit. I hope I did not make too much of a mistake, but if I did they were only $20 so I will not cost me too much. I took the bike out on our dirt road for the first time yesterday. The knobby tires have to go. Not sure how they could have put these on this bike (these are OEM). The front wheel kept picking up small rocks and lodging them in the forks and then spitting them out like popcorn. That can't be good for the chrome or for anyone riding next to us!
We have Serfas Drifters on our long bike. 26x1.5, but they make a 2”. Haven’t intentionally off-roaded them, but overall I’m happy with them.

RE the stock tires on your bike: I suspect most people who bought those “lower end” Santana mountain bikes didn’t ride them very much.
Old 08-28-21, 12:22 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Our "Soulmate" runs on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Performance 26x1,75 and this tire selection for us was probably one of the best decisions made when I built up the bike (besides the Rohloff-hub and the Magura double piston brakes of course ;-)). I still remember my wheelbuilder frowning when I told him what I was going to put on his nice little handwork: He knew about the advantages of the tire but doubted to have any fun with it because of the rolling resistance. Now -after three years and nearly 10000 kilometers on those wheels- I'm still and even more than ever exited about the tire performance. They are rolling astonishingly well and fast and seem to be undestroyable. We see some weaknesses on loose ground what we try to prevent anyway but apart from this they are just rolling and rolling and I'm really afraid that I will never put their successors on which are waiting in my cellar for nearly two years by now ;-)