Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

After a steep draining hill, do you coast or pedal ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

After a steep draining hill, do you coast or pedal ?

Old 08-26-21, 07:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I will generally keep pedalling so my muscles don't get tight. I usually don't put a lot of power down, just enough to keep tension in the chain. Rarely I find a climb where the descent leads directly to another climb and putting a few more watts into the downhill might give me a bit of a run at the next climb.

There's a lot of routes around me with exactly that pattern of rolling hills. For me, there's really no general answer to how I handle descents, it's too specific to the characteristics of the route, the steepness, the quality of the road, and maybe even how hot I got doing the climbing part.

There's a fair number of roads around where the pavement on the hills is so bad that braking on the descents is my primary concern because complete pothole avoidance is an impossibility at high speeds.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-21, 08:02 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
You're all doing it wrong. The hill is only 0.2 miles...... Get going fast enough before the hill so you can coast UP the hill AND back down the other side.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-26-21, 09:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Rarely I find a climb where the descent leads directly to another climb and putting a few more watts into the downhill might give me a bit of a run at the next climb.
I know of a few places like that, and I put a little work into building up speed on the descent just to keep that little bit of momentum going up the next hill.
Old 08-26-21, 10:09 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Rode a 10% hill for .2 miles.
After, my legs were burnt out.

I thought to myself, what is ideal here?
coasting with no pedalling at all
or
very light pedal for continuity (Not really propulsion)
The proper form is to power over the top, put it into the big ring and get to speed. Then, you can tuck and rest. Just saying because you seemed to be into form with pushups and squats. Dying too early is bad form. Bad pacing on the climb
Old 08-26-21, 10:36 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
What is this "coasting down after climbing the hill" you all are talking about? Where I live, most of the hills are actually river valleys, thus all the climbs come after the descents.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 08-26-21, 12:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Yes, that is exactly how I workout.
Except I also do many wind sprints and lunges across the soccer field I ride to.
Awesome! Keep it up and soon you will be able to tackle a real hill, and increase your ride to 5 1/2 minutes!
Old 08-26-21, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
You're all doing it wrong. The hill is only 0.2 miles...... Get going fast enough before the hill so you can coast UP the hill AND back down the other side.

I know a couple places near me where there's a hill like this with a traffic light that's usually red at the base. PITA both directions, but I think I prefer the accelerating uphill to braking on the downhill. A climb this short isn't really enough to cause more than just a couple minute's annoyance but going the other way would be a lot more fun if I could take the speed boost into the long flat that follows.
Old 08-27-21, 12:10 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Pedaling down hill is wasting energy that I could use later, especially on those longer rides.
Old 08-27-21, 03:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Kind of just go with my body's flow with "SOFT PEDALING" = rotate cranks with no pressure application just to keep muscles from cramping OR power into the cranks for additional speed and to work the muscles OR coast OR a combination of the previous actions.

Six Gap Century provides an opportunity for plenty of experimentation with one's technique.

https://www.granfondoguide.com/Event...hree-gap-fifty

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-27-21 at 03:38 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-27-21, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by devianb
Pedaling down hill is wasting energy that I could use later, especially on those longer rides.

I don't care if someone comes up with "math" that supposedly proves this wrong, but I'm quite sure it's more efficient for me to keep the pedals turning on rolling hills. Also, if it's a long downgrade of less than something like 6%, I'm going a lot faster pedaling than not, and I'm going to carry over some added momentum into the subsequent flat or uphill. I know someone's going to claim that I have to expend a great amount of energy to take the bike from 25 mph to 30 in that situation because of wind resistance, but it sure feels like the gravity boost makes pedaling fast in a high gear close to effortless.I

I have a route I ride that has about a mile of 9% uphill grade followed by several miles of about 3-4% downhill grade on a state road without intersections. If you pedal that downgrade in a good tuck, you can go ridiculously fast. I find it absurd to say that maximizing that speed boost is somehow wasting energy. At that point what are you saving it for?
Old 08-27-21, 06:13 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

or
depends - if I’m in a group, I’m likely to get yelled at for not pedaling down the descent. If I’m solo, could go either way - I’ll pedal if I’m feeling it, otherwise I’ll take the view that I’ve paid for that coast, so I’ll take the break
Old 08-27-21, 07:16 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Kind of just go with my body's flow with "SOFT PEDALING" = rotate cranks with no pressure application just to keep muscles from cramping OR power into the cranks for additional speed and to work the muscles OR coast OR a combination of the previous actions.

Six Gap Century provides an opportunity for plenty of experimentation with one's technique.

https://www.granfondoguide.com/Event...hree-gap-fifty
Yes, this is exactly what I was seeking.
Soft pedaling
I knew there would be a thing.

It is so tempting to coast, but my instinct told me to at least soft pedal
Old 08-27-21, 06:07 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Is there cyclist coming the opposite direction?
Likes For jleeg:
Old 08-28-21, 04:30 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
tuff to locate a solid descent after a decent climb that doesn't involve a four-way stop in suburbia around here.

coasting is sweat equity. we may not always cash it in but it is deserved at some point, whether immediately or eventually.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-28-21, 06:46 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
this question could have been a good one relating to interval training.
Too bad thread took a dump
Old 08-28-21, 06:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
Pedal over the top until you get back up to speed. What you do after that isn't super important. I shift up at that point so I can pedal if I want to, but usually coast.
Old 08-28-21, 07:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Depends more on what the goal is for the ride or the exact circumstances of the moment.

Not so much on how hard the hill was to climb. Lack of energy from climbing one side will only impact the ability and how well one can do what is desired on the down hill portion.
Old 08-28-21, 08:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
If you take the OP’s question and apply it to a hill I did two days ago, climbed 1/2 mile, the grade started at 10% and immediately jumped up to 14 then 16. Hung at 16 for the longest quarter mile of my life, then backed down to a relatively easy 10% to the crest. When I got to the top, I definitely coasted because I gave it 100% and my HRM was pegged. Had more hills to climb after that but nothing as extreme and would get back up to speed when crested. When I got home (after 52 miles and 3400’) I laid down on the cool garage floor and was utterly whipped. Come to find out I had the beginning of a virus then and now have a full blown head cold. No wonder I didn’t feel really strong on the ride. So if you apply the OP’s fitness and cycling acumen, it matters on the steepness, length and his fitness whether he soft pedals or coasts.

So the definitive answer is….it depends (not the underwear). Haven’t gotten to that stage of life yet.

Old 08-28-21, 10:01 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If you take the OP’s question and apply it to a hill I did two days ago, climbed 1/2 mile, the grade started at 10% and immediately jumped up to 14 then 16. Hung at 16 for the longest quarter mile of my life, then backed down to a relatively easy 10% to the crest. When I got to the top, I definitely coasted because I gave it 100% and my HRM was pegged. Had more hills to climb after that but nothing as extreme and would get back up to speed when crested. When I got home (after 52 miles and 3400’) I laid down on the cool garage floor and was utterly whipped. Come to find out I had the beginning of a virus then and now have a full blown head cold. No wonder I didn’t feel really strong on the ride. So if you apply the OP’s fitness and cycling acumen, it matters on the steepness, length and his fitness whether he soft pedals or coasts.

So the definitive answer is….it depends (not the underwear). Haven’t gotten to that stage of life yet.
Hope you are getting better. Hope it isn't the corona virus !
Old 08-28-21, 11:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It depends which bike I am riding. If I riding my fixed gear I pedal downhill, if I am riding my singlespeed I coast.
Old 08-28-21, 01:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Hope you are getting better. Hope it isn't the corona virus !
Thank you. Me too!

Old 08-29-21, 09:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

or
Logical cyclist pedal up hills, and coast down them!!!!!
Old 08-29-21, 02:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob

So, what I take from that is coasting gives you a head cold.

Seriously, feel better!
Old 08-29-21, 02:40 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts

or
What's on the other side of the hill? Another hill? A downhill? a stretch of flat road?

If I had a hill near me that was a 10% grade and 0.2 miles long, I'd go back down it and up again . . . and again . . . and again . . . and repeat as long as possible. Great HIIT workout! And after the HIIT workout you can skip the soccer field lunges and wind sprints.
Old 08-29-21, 04:55 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Pedal like your worst enemy is about to pass you at every given moment. Especially when going downhill unless your going so fast an aero tuck will be faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.