Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
unfortunately finding a rear 120mm disc hub wheel is non-existent.
I believe the Joytech hub they are using is 135mm which is pretty standard for disc brake equipped nutted or QR hubs included single speeds. It can easily be found with Alibaba and his 40 thieves under the same code. Not that I would really put a bunch of money towards that bike but you could easily find 135 SS hubs of quality. Phil Wood, Paul, White Industries, Surly, Chris King (though I think CK has discontinued their SS hubs) and many others are options for a 135 SS Disc hub. No need to go with rim brakes and on that frame you couldn't without some really crazy modifications.
Old 07-30-21, 09:07 AM
buckonation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Still Relevant??

Hi All, I just purchased the "2022" version of the Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno —still waiting on it but I should have it in a couple days. Looking forward to setting it up, making some small initial upgrades, and sharing my thoughts.
Likes For buckonation:
Old 07-30-21, 02:53 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by zsir
Has anyone bought one from bikes direct yet? Really curious how much it weighs and how the rear caliper mounts.

fantom disc

You can compare from Motobecane website but unsure if they are still selling them

https://www.motobecane.com/track/msg.html

Last edited by jay4usc; 07-30-21 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 03:01 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
It would be good to find someone that has actually purchased one to speak authoritatively about it. Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion but nothing substitutes for having one and riding it.
Having said that, I tend to agree with Veganbikes and would recommend shying away from online dealers if you can. I am not singling anyone out. Buying local keeps the shops open, employs local people and gives you a place to go for support.
You cannot underestimate the value in that. Some things are worth paying a little more for.
I also agree that inflated MSRPs and "sales" tend to get old. How about just listing the bike and the price and letting the consumer decide if it is a deal or not?

There are some that don't have a local shop they can depend on, or don't see a value in supporting one. I guess in that case, let the buyer beware. Do your research and roll the dice.
the problem with LBS they have very limited SS/Fixed Gear bikes for sale. I live in Southern California and most big LBS here only sell Pure Fix or State bikes. You have to buy online to buy a decent quality SS/FX bike.
Old 07-30-21, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jay4usc
the problem with LBS they have very limited SS/Fixed Gear bikes for sale. I live in Southern California and most big LBS here only sell Pure Fix or State bikes. You have to buy online to buy a decent quality SS/FX bike.
If you want quality you just gotta build yourself, most shops have accounts with vendors who sell frames or companies that make frames or could get set up with them and you can build a pretty quality bike after that. We have done this a bunch but one that I recall in the fixed gear category was a nice Cinelli aluminum frame that we kitted out with Dura Ace 7600 Track and some other nice stuff I want to say we did Zipp Vuka Alumina Basebars because I love those and helped him get it set up. Certainly he had a bling set up but you can still make something nice for a bit less.
Old 07-31-21, 02:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I'm curious if the fork can clear a 180mm rotor. One thing I don't like about my road disc bike is a 160 is the biggest it (and any road fork) can fit. With flat mount brakes there isn't even an adapter for a 180. But the brakes on my two MTB's with a 180 are so much more powerful. I like the mechanical BB5's on my old MTB more than I do my 105's.
Old 07-31-21, 02:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm curious if the fork can clear a 180mm rotor. One thing I don't like about my road disc bike is a 160 is the biggest it (and any road fork) can fit. With flat mount brakes there isn't even an adapter for a 180. But the brakes on my two MTB's with a 180 are so much more powerful. I like the mechanical BB5's on my old MTB more than I do my 105's.
You could get the RX4 brakes from Hope and that way you have 4 piston brakes. BB5s aren't that great, BB7s are a bit better but in the end I would rather have Paul Klampers or TRP Spyres or go hydraulic and not have so many issues. I am a big person and I have done quite fine on 160s even on my mountain bike but to be fair I am running XT quad pistons on that. I would upgrade pads and rotor to something a little nicer and try that. Rather than trying to go larger find a better rotor and pads from Kool or SwissStop.
Old 08-01-21, 01:37 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You could get the RX4 brakes from Hope and that way you have 4 piston brakes. BB5s aren't that great, BB7s are a bit better but in the end I would rather have Paul Klampers or TRP Spyres or go hydraulic and not have so many issues. I am a big person and I have done quite fine on 160s even on my mountain bike but to be fair I am running XT quad pistons on that. I would upgrade pads and rotor to something a little nicer and try that. Rather than trying to go larger find a better rotor and pads from Kool or SwissStop.
I've had four different disc systems. BB5, Spyres, SLX and 105. My BB5 are honestly right there with the others except for SLX, which is on a different level. I bought that Cannondale with them two years ago and after I cleaned up the pads, new cables, ect I was surprised how powerful they were. I've had no issues with them at all or any thought of replacing them.

I'll have to look into the Hope's.

*edit* Take that back. I also had some hydraulic Hayes in the early 2000's on a Gary Fisher MTB when discs just started coming out. They were so horrible they scared me away from discs for many years haha

Last edited by Lazyass; 08-01-21 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-01-21, 08:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've had four different disc systems. BB5, Spyres, SLX and 105. My BB5 are honestly right there with the others except for SLX, which is on a different level. I bought that Cannondale with them two years ago and after I cleaned up the pads, new cables, ect I was surprised how powerful they were. I've had no issues with them at all or any thought of replacing them.

I'll have to look into the Hope's.

*edit* Take that back. I also had some hydraulic Hayes in the early 2000's on a Gary Fisher MTB when discs just started coming out. They were so horrible they scared me away from discs for many years haha
I wouldn't do Hayes even the modern stuff. Never really been a Hayes fan never heard great things and seen their mechanical discs and was like meh and not a fan of DOT fluid for a bike.

The RX4s are supposed to be quite great.
Old 08-31-21, 12:29 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
This entire argument can be eliminated by simply looking beyond the suggested pricing or any other "puffing" text. Look at the specs, look at the frame, look at the wheelset, look at the price, and then determine if this is a value proposition for you or not. I have owned and build two dozen of these bikes (at least) over the last 15 years. I find them to be right in line for what I'm seeking, at better than my local market prices for new gear. But you have to factor in the cost of any needed upgrades.

My 105-equipped Gran Premio punches well above its weight class. It's nearly my favorite rider. But I had to swap in a 105 compact crankset. I sold the FSA crank, so the difference was only $50 to me.

Also, my aluminum hardtail turned out to be a terrific bike, once I swapped in a better crank and higher quality air shock. I sold off the factory crank and shock, so the net difference was only $300 to me. The result is terrific. I factor these swaps into my total project budget. I still come out ahead of walking into a bike shop and buying.