Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-18-17, 09:10 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyarm07
I don't remember needing that many. Of course this was 14 years ago (2003), so maybe I'm misremembering. Not that it matters, that just seems like a lot - did they all have to be from different people?

Also, the correct term for USAFA is not "military academy", it's something between "boarding school" and "upscale country club" (PS I'm a USMA 2007 grad, and my dad is a USAFA 1966 grad)
No they didn't have to be from different folks. I think he used about 7,8 and went to coach twice.

True - military came out, met to say service academy, could have said USAFA. I can't think of a better place for a cyclist student (Pepperdine is close). I didn't mean to suggest it was hard. I doubt much is as hard as cycling. I don't suppose the other schools are much different. I think all have toned it down a bit.

And thank you for your service.
Old 05-18-17, 09:16 PM
crazyarm07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
No they didn't have to be from different folks. I think he used about 7,8 and went to coach twice.

True - military came out, met to say service academy. Can't think of a better place for a cyclist student (Pepperdine is close). I didn't mean to suggest it was hard. I doubt much is as hard as cycling. I don't suppose the other schools are much different. I think all have toned it down a bit.

And thank you for your service.
I'm just kidding when I bash on USAFA....I'm just conditioned to never say nice things about them or navy. You're right, it's definitely been toned down across all the academies (for better or worse), but in the end they're all great places, and I'd advise you to encourage your son to take full advantage of all the opportunities he'll have there over his 4 years. It's way too easy to get into a nice comfy groove at those places and end up missing out on some once in a lifetime opportunities (kinda like how I passed up marching in a Presidential inauguration parade). That may mean he's off the bike for a while, but IMO, it's worth it.
Old 05-18-17, 11:00 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by crazyarm07
I'm just kidding when I bash on USAFA....I'm just conditioned to never say nice things about them or navy. You're right, it's definitely been toned down across all the academies (for better or worse), but in the end they're all great places, and I'd advise you to encourage your son to take full advantage of all the opportunities he'll have there over his 4 years. It's way too easy to get into a nice comfy groove at those places and end up missing out on some once in a lifetime opportunities (kinda like how I passed up marching in a Presidential inauguration parade). That may mean he's off the bike for a while, but IMO, it's worth it.
Well I rather think a Country Club is superior to roughing it, so no offence taken. When you are the branch in charge of satellites, ICBMs and cyber warfare, other than discovering character (not building it) I'm not a fan of making it harder for no real purpose. I'm right next to Camp Pendleton (500m - really). They are different. But they need to be.
Old 05-19-17, 07:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I watched the end of yesterday's stage of the TOC on the computer. I've climbed those roads many times and to watch them do it is amazing. The last 4 miles gains 2000 feet and has some 15% ramps and these guys were attacking each other up there. It's rare that I can make it all the way up without stopping for a minute.

It reminded me of the time RacerX hosted the event (he lived near the bottom) and we rode up to watch. He put on orange dredlocks and ran alongside Quintana, yelling in Spanish. He fed us at his place after the race, and I saw the orange dreds on TV on the late repeat show.
Old 05-19-17, 08:46 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
. I can't think of a better place for a cyclist student (Pepperdine is close).
Have a teammate who graduated from the Naval Academy, and raced collegiate there.

He said it was great for cycling. He had 3 hours or so every afternoon to train, after classes, before dinner.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-19-17, 09:11 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Have a teammate who graduated from the Naval Academy, and raced collegiate there.

He said it was great for cycling. He had 3 hours or so every afternoon to train, after classes, before dinner.
I learned with my daughter that with good grades and athletics - doors open where great grades alone won't do. So with both kids we leveraged sports. The cross for cycling was rowing.
We visited Georgetown,Annapolis and Princeton as he was thinking of rowing for college as a lightweight.
He thought he'd have to give up cycling at all those campuses both due to rowing and area. Then he decided he didn't want to give up the bike, unless he had to, and that changed things. The Navy campus is amazing (we didn't go to West Point) but while I have not seen all the area around it I'd be surprised if Maryland can compete with the Colorado area for cycling. Maybe the East Coast riders will correct me. I am often surprised what hidden great cycling roads exist where I'd never expect them. Anyway, now service is first, there is a balance between riding and school. Both are suffering because of each other. I guess that is a normal thing.

USAFA "campus" has a nice paved 20 mile loop on it using the 1986 worlds RR course - which he owns the final hill KOM on :-) https://www.strava.com/segments/9093042
Old 05-19-17, 09:37 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not terribly familiar with the riding around the naval academy, but the riding around (north) of baltimore far exceeded my expectations.
Old 05-19-17, 01:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Anybody have any experience with electric tankless water heaters.

We're finishing a basement, and the existing water heater is in the way of where the bike will be stored.

So one answer is tankless. We've got a gas tankless water heater in our first home, and it works well, and pays for itself.

This would need to be electric, given where it's located. The reviews of this one are excellent. I'm just doubting you can heat enough water fast enough with electric to be functional.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AHO8AK...ed96a9aced7d84
Old 05-19-17, 02:05 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
A few years ago, people were doing tankless in tandem with a very small (5 gallon?) tank. Don't know anything about lately.
Old 05-19-17, 05:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I don't know about the riding near the naval Academy, but I raced a collegiate crit there that had a downhill 130 degree turn with a sharp transition from hill to flat and lots of sand from recent snow.

There were many crashes.
Old 05-19-17, 06:30 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I'm just doubting you can heat enough water fast enough with electric to be functional.
"Tempra 36 models require 208 or 240 volt electric service, with a maximum draw of 27,000 watts at 208 volts or 36,000 watts at 240 volts

A minimum of 300 amp total service to the residence is necessary, as a Tempra 36 has a power draw of 150 amps via 3 separate 60 amp breakers with 6 gauge copper wiring."

36,000W of electricity...
Old 05-19-17, 06:52 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
"Tempra 36 models require 208 or 240 volt electric service, with a maximum draw of 27,000 watts at 208 volts or 36,000 watts at 240 volts

A minimum of 300 amp total service to the residence is necessary, as a Tempra 36 has a power draw of 150 amps via 3 separate 60 amp breakers with 6 gauge copper wiring."

Wow. 36kW in a house is seriously intense. That's like 25 microwaves at once or something. Better put that close to the electrical panel, I wouldn't want to run that wire very far at 6 gauge without getting out my code book.
Old 05-19-17, 08:27 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic

300 amp service? I've never heard of such a thing for a regular house around here. We have 100 amp service. The normal "upgrade" is to go to 200 amp.

The biggest normal thing you'd plug into an outlet is 1500w, like a hair dryer or toaster. Our microwave is 900w I think? I should check. 36k watts is nutty.

I bet that water is plenty hot, quickly.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-20-17, 07:44 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I don't know about the riding near the naval Academy, but I raced a collegiate crit there that had a downhill 130 degree turn with a sharp transition from hill to flat and lots of sand from recent snow.

There were many crashes.
ahaha i love that crit! although it was never sandy when i did it.
Old 05-21-17, 04:27 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did the Farmer's Daughter gravel grinder ride with my brother in law. It was a gorgeous course and a fun day, but I have to say I don't really get the whole organized ride thing. I'd have been much happier to just ride the course without the 400 other people. TBH I'd also have been happier to ride it 2 hours faster, but that's what brother in laws are for.

Old 05-21-17, 11:32 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I did the Farmer's Daughter gravel grinder ride with my brother in law. It was a gorgeous course and a fun day, but I have to say I don't really get the whole organized ride thing. I'd have been much happier to just ride the course without the 400 other people. TBH I'd also have been happier to ride it 2 hours faster, but that's what brother in laws are for.

Beautiful pic, @globecanvas. I'm with you on the organized ride thing. If you will chip time me, ok, I'll pay and race that day. Or Ifyou proved water in a waterless place, that I'll pay for. Otherwise, I'd rather ride with 4-5 people & keep the day chill.
Old 05-22-17, 09:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've been getting a bunch of phone calls from the same number in DC. I don't answer calls if I don't recognize the number, and this caller has not left any voicemails.

But when I googled the phone number, it is apparently an extension at the Department of Justice.
Old 05-22-17, 09:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
300 amp service? I've never heard of such a thing for a regular house around here. We have 100 amp service. The normal "upgrade" is to go to 200 amp.

The biggest normal thing you'd plug into an outlet is 1500w, like a hair dryer or toaster. Our microwave is 900w I think? I should check. 36k watts is nutty.

I bet that water is plenty hot, quickly.
I'm checking with the Contractor and the Electrician to see if its feasible.
Old 05-22-17, 09:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've been getting a bunch of phone calls from the same number in DC. I don't answer calls if I don't recognize the number, and this caller has not left any voicemails.

But when I googled the phone number, it is apparently an extension at the Department of Justice.
ruh roh...

Old 05-22-17, 10:52 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I get calls to some number in DC fairly regularly. I figured out it was some sort of IT helpdesk at a federal agency. My prefix is 202 and people forget to dial the 1.
Old 05-22-17, 10:55 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I lived in Brooklyn my 718 phone number was the same as the FBI's 212 number. I got calls meant for the FBI at least once a week.
Old 05-22-17, 12:07 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm checking with the Contractor and the Electrician to see if its feasible.

Trump that.
Old 05-23-17, 12:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
So done with being sick. It's affecting my sleep. I've had so much mucus in my throat I wake up coughing trying to clear out an airway. It's only bad at night when I'm laying down which is probably making this worse since I can ride and exercise through it. Expectorants seem to help, and anti-histamines do not. I can clear it by making that gross clearing my throat noise and spit out a bunch of phlegm, but I can't do that in class or around others..

What can I do but wait....
Old 05-25-17, 06:49 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nation,

If a race is all together at the finish, what's the best way to help out a teammate who has no sprint? All I can think of is to get on the front for the last 3-5 minutes or so and try to drill it all the way to the finish. A sprinter will still win but at least that will weed out the tired sprinters and minimize the number of non-sprinters who pass him. Or maybe try to slingshot him off the front with 1-2k to go? Except that seems just as likely to do nothing useful, if he can't get separation from the field (see the part where he has no sprint, above). ???
Old 05-25-17, 07:01 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vaguely recall that someone here live in New Orleans or is from there? I'm heading down for a conference next week and thinking about bringing a bike, if it makes sense.

Anyone have recs for rides/routes/etc.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.