Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-09-19, 10:41 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

This is the place for all things Teledyne Titan, If you own one please post photos, If you have one under construction please build it here so we can all follow your build and cheer you on. Great stories are always welcome and of course tips, tricks, and your experience with the Titan.

This is the story of S/N TL 000276 MOD A3U1R, the frame is NOS re-imported from Belgium in January of 2016. My best guess is this is late 1973 or early 1974 production as it also has 120 mm spacing. Production ended for this frame in 1976, so in keeping with my personal 3 year limit, no parts later than 1979.

So after 3 years of collecting parts and changing my mind on which direction I wanted to build it, the build started today. A Stronglight A9 needle bearing headset was pressed this morning, the installation was non eventful with the added bonus of having the stack up perfectly match the frame/fork.

The Bottom bracket is a Stronglight titanium model 650 with dual adjustable cups and titanium crank bolts (under 200 grams), awaiting final adjustment for chain line setting at 41.5 mm.
Shift cable management is handled by a Huret Jubilee clip that is a excellent fit for this frame.

Hubs are O.M.A.S. and the freewheel is a aluminum Suntour Microlite.

So at the end of the day this is what it looks like.

A old photo of coming attractions.

: Mike
Old 02-10-19, 12:17 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I'll get some pics tomorrow. I was not quite so dedicated, I'm afraid.
Old 02-10-19, 12:58 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Wow. Stunning NOS level, well, everything! Really like the "cool" luster of the components (as opposed to a mirrored polish) as it works with the finish of the frame really well. Are you going to want to ride it after you put all that jewelry together? I mean, I would, because I don't do wall hangers, but I don't also have a pure NOS frame and component set (plenty of really nice condition stuff though).

There seems to have been an uptick in Teledyne Titan posts lately. Very cool.
Old 02-10-19, 01:17 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I'll get some pics tomorrow. I was not quite so dedicated, I'm afraid.
Thanks Robby, I'm looking forward to the photos.
Old 02-10-19, 02:10 AM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Wow. Stunning NOS level, well, everything! Really like the "cool" luster of the components (as opposed to a mirrored polish) as it works with the finish of the frame really well. Are you going to want to ride it after you put all that jewelry together? I mean, I would, because I don't do wall hangers, but I don't also have a pure NOS frame and component set (plenty of really nice condition stuff though).

There seems to have been an uptick in Teledyne Titan posts lately. Very cool.
Hi RiddleOfSteel,
No wall hangers here, I do have a healthy dose of OCD though. The Titan is my "grail" bike and will be ridden, The component set was inspired by the time the frame set spent wandering around Belgium, so for the most part I tried to put together a French inspired bit of kit. The light weight French stuff is hard to find in nice condition so some of the components were built up from multiple examples. The goal was a French equivalent of Campy Super Record, The only NOS parts are the headset, bottom bracket cups, and the O.M.A.S. hubs. An example of salvage would be the Modolo brake set built from two brake sets, one set anodized red the other black, oven cleaner does a fine job of stripping anodize.

: Mke
Old 02-10-19, 02:23 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hi RiddleOfSteel,
No wall hangers here, I do have a healthy dose of OCD though. The Titan is my "grail" bike and will be ridden, The component set was inspired by the time the frame set spent wandering around Belgium, so for the most part I tried to put together a French inspired bit of kit. The light weight French stuff is hard to find in nice condition so some of the components were built up from multiple examples. The goal was a French equivalent of Campy Super Record, The only NOS parts are the headset, bottom bracket cups, and the O.M.A.S. hubs. An example of salvage would be the Modolo brake set built from two brake sets, one set anodized red the other black, oven cleaner does a fine job of stripping anodize.

: Mke
Very cool, on all counts. I think the bike, when fully built, will be gorgeous!
Old 02-10-19, 08:46 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I'm liking this build. Tubs?
Old 02-10-19, 08:57 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Really neat! The Titan was the cutting edge tech when I was just getting into 10 speeds back in the mid '70's, so it's occupied a special place in my heart ever since. Great to see one built up with the special components of the era... especially the more exotic French stuff (although the SunTour alloy freewheel is exotic too).

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-10-19, 12:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I will toss the notion of Hi-E hubs, and Pino skewers.
Old 02-10-19, 12:23 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
I was going to say, a CLB Professionel brakeset WITH CLB Dural brake cable casings.would be more in line with an ultimate weight weenie build. You can still find CLB Professionel brakesets for sale at eBay, but avoid getting the full NOS sets that are always overpriced. Buying the calipers separate from the levers will save you lots of money. Enough VGC condition calipers and levers also come up so that trying to find an NOS set for affordable prices, is not necessary.
If you can believe it, you can actually also go lighter with a JPR headset. But they are hard to find in English threading and always cost a lot too, Plus, the bearings do not run on steel races, but roll directly on aluminum grooves cast or forged on the cups.

Here's mine in French threading....waiting for a Tout French weight weenie build....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-10-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:31 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
The Bottom bracket is a Stronglight titanium model 650 with dual adjustable cups and titanium crank bolts (under 200 grams), awaiting final adjustment for chain line setting at 41.5 mm.
Shift cable management is handled by a Huret Jubilee clip that is a excellent fit for this frame.

Mike
Awesome build and super selection of parts. Lots of thought into it. Dig how each Teledyne I've seen are so personalized.

I really like that Huret guide but leaves that down tube crimp glaring.

I'm still looking for a solution and currently have a Campagnolo guide. I might do some drillium on the clamp.

Fascinating piece of cycling history. The storyline, strategy why and how Teledyne acquired the Ti tubing plus they were raced with success.

Looking forward to seeing it done!

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-10-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:35 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Nemosengineer -

The Modolos look really good but +1 for Chombi1's suggestion of the CLB Professional brakeset. Very stiff calipers, excellent braking and remarkably light especially with the alloy cable housing. The levers and calipers have a satin, grey finish that would go well with the Titan's titanium.
Old 02-10-19, 12:47 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Agree with the remark of vintage French parts as some of the most lightweight of the period. There's also some unbranded French bars and stems that are absurdly light, far lighter than Cinelli.
Old 02-10-19, 01:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

With restraining order, I went with 1st series Modolo Professional and levers. Replaced pads with Kool Stop.

More jewelry suggestions. I'm leaving the Modolo brake hardware as is but I've changed much of the other component parts screws with Ti and aluminum. Have to admit the Taiwan suppliers are super reasonable and top quality. The prices are FAR cheaper including shipping vs. steel replacements.

Old 02-10-19, 01:23 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
What about considering an American weight weenie crankset too??

Topline road crankset.
(Still looking for a proper small ring for it to complement the Vuelta big ring I have n it already.)
Not period correct (I believe, Toplines were from the early 90's(?)), but it looks like the build was not going that direction anyway and the Topline crankset has very classic lines....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-10-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 01:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Chombi1
What about considering an American weight weenie crankset too??
Topline road crankset.
(Still looking for a proper small ring for it to complement the Vuelta big ring I have n it already.)
Not period correct (I believe, Toplines were from the early 90's(?)), but it looks like the build was not going that direction anyway and the Topline crankset has very classic lines....
Man, we think alike! Regardless of period correct- I have a polished Topline as you posted and went back and forth whether it should go on the Teledyne. It looks perfect but ended up using it on a US made 84 Trek 760.

My Teledyne build is for riding with long day big climbs in mind. To save it, these frames require spinning with minimal mashing. I chose a Sugino XD600 compact triple. Changed all the rings. Tight q-factor with a very svelte 106mm Omni Racer bb. Square taper, Ti bolts. Ally chainring bolts.
Old 02-10-19, 02:59 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
There was one in the window of an LBS last year. I shot this of the accompanying build sheet.

And the bike.

There was no discussion of the headset, which looked like it was milled from PVC.

Last edited by due ruote; 02-10-19 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 03:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I sold two Titans back in the day working for a bike shop.
Both transactions were over the phone! for later pick up.
One full Campagnolo, retaining the Dura-Ace headset
The other "I want this bike as trick as possible"
So... Super Record. First generation hollow spindle, Save for the seat post that was milled and cross drilled at the pivot by Art Stump.
28 hole wheels, 3ttt superleggra bars, milled 3ttt stem, milled cranks and chainrings by Art Stump.
Clement 195 gram Seta Extra tires.
Titanium spokes for the front wheel.
Malliard alloy freewheel.
Cool Gear raw plastic saddle with alloy frame.
TA alloy water bottle cage. For a joke the water bottle was drilled and a plastic bag inserted.
Later the bike would get a ti chain, O.M.A.S. ti/alloy bolt kit. Weyless seat post. CLB alloy coil cable housing.
Whatever it took to be lighter.

Early on, Teledyne Linar was pretty careful on dealership placement and territory, so some of the sales were from clients out of town.
Old 02-10-19, 03:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I looked for some light stuff, but did not go all gooey about it.
Advice from @steelbikeguy, @Steve Whitlatch, and @crank_addict.
Wheel build by @speedevil. Rides smoothly.

Year 1973-1976
Serial No. TL000357
Make Teledyne
Model Titan A3U1R
Size 56x56
Tubing Teledyne Pure Ti
Fork Teledyne Pure Ti
Headset Shimano 105
Stem Cinelli 80mm black
Bars Cinelli 64-40
Saddle Selle Italia TurboMatic
Seat Post ITM fluted 26.8
Brake Levers Dura Ace 7200 w/DiaCompe hoods
Calipers Suntour Superbe 4700
Shifters Suntour Superbe DT (banded)
FD Suntour Cyclone
RD Suntour Cyclone
Cogs Suntour Winner Pro 13-21
Crankset Dura Ace 7200 165mm
Chain Rings Dura Ace 7200 52/42
Bottom Bracket Dura Ace 7200
Chain Sachs-Huret 8sp
Cables Jagwire stainless
Housing Jagwire black
Hubs Hi-E
Rims Araya tubular polished
Tires Vittoria Corsa CX tubular
Wrap black cork
Color Scheme raw Ti
Pedals MKS Sylvan w/Christophe half-clips

Fork from @unterhausen

Bars from @Steve Whitlatch.

Frame from @Last ride 76. Shifters from @3speedslow.

Crankset/BB from @squirtdad. Campy BB cable guide with the points lopped off.

FD from @deax jambe. Chain came on a bike from @cudak888.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-10-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 03:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

RD from @deaux jamb. Freewheel from @krems81. Skewer from @smontanaro or @3speedslow. Huret RD cable guide.

Front hub from @3speed slow, skewer from him or @smontanaro.

Rims, Rear hub from @smontanaro

I think the tires came on a bike, or from a BF member with some rims, but I honestly can't remember.

Again, rims from @smontanaro.
Then again, maybe @Steve Whitlatch. It's been awhile.

Pedals from @dea. I had the Christophe half-clips sitting here.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-10-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 03:43 PM
Nemosengineer 

There are so many great posts here, thanks I have read them all. At the moment I can say you are all a very bad influence and you must all share the blame for putting my wheel build off until next month... It's not like I wasn't considering this set

: Mike
Old 02-10-19, 04:26 PM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Mike are you on HDF as well?
Old 02-10-19, 05:00 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Fine, fine build, Robbie! Wheels are killa. No doubt it's very much a lightweight. Considering stock parts of the era. No carbon this time around for you- ha.

Interesting Campy cable guide mod. Might consider the same. Its the only Campagnolo part I have on mine. Though I have a Suntour DT and chainstay cable guide.

Shift department-
I was all in and had set aside Suntour Cyclone for my build but since already having enough others with Suntour, thought 'what the heck' and went off-tilt era Shimano.

By doing so, also compromised weight with early Shimano XT front and rear derailleur plus barends--- yet with extra lightening work. This to nicely play with super wide ratios and triple. 1976 era Dura Ace large flange hubs, found new. Swapped axles and skewers to titanium. A very greedy six speed in the narrow width frame. Mountain goat.

Regardless and as I keep juggling parts, its sub 18 lbs.. I machined and tweaked some parts, not really visible so it remains rather light. The handful of lightweight hardware surprisingly helps.

I was going to mention the period correct Cool Gear saddle and sure enough, that bill of sale above has it listed. But, I scored a NOS Brooks Swallow titanium railed. Not the lightest by any comparisons though think it fits the build and do like the feel especially on the drops.
Old 02-10-19, 05:49 PM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
What about Simplex shifters Crank?
Old 02-10-19, 06:08 PM
dparks

Bikes: 1970 Gitane, 1989 Schwinn 564

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

000263 - Dura Ace 1st gen components. Titanium fork was replaced with steel. It now has an aluminum fork. Purchased off Craigslist in 2017 ... $50! I have only ridden it about 6 times. Many more rides planned in 2019 - I am retiring!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.