Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

replacement bearings for Zues Ti Axle?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

replacement bearings for Zues Ti Axle?

Old 01-31-21, 12:30 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
replacement bearings for Zeus Ti Axle?

I have a Zeus TI BB axle that has pressed-on steel races which have pits.

It's a long shot, but are replacement races available?

Old 01-31-21, 03:14 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,492 Posts
maybe inquire here?"The Spanish Orbea firm has since bought the name and makes Zeus-branded parts." https://sscycleworks.com/components/...kets-Zeus.html all Zues BB's appear threaded.VeloBase.com - Component Listing
good luck!
Old 01-31-21, 05:01 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Are you concerned about keeping it authentic or do you just want to utilize the Ti spindle? You could remove the steel races and measure the diameter of the shoulders and possibly fit standard cartridge bearings and use Phil rings as the cups.
Old 01-31-21, 05:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

back when Arregui was yet Arregui and these 2000 bits were current separate races for the spindle were never shown in any of the manufacturer's catalogue materials

one possibility might be to take measurements in an effort to determine if they might interchange with the maker of another brand of titanium spindle...

i once had an irreplaceable bottom bracket spindle with pitted and spawled races redone by a process of "hard chroming" and regrinding

-----
Old 01-31-21, 06:11 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Those existing cones can probably be reground. Ideally by a machinist but I have gotten some decent results using a drill press to spin the spindle, and sanding cloth or paper wrapped around a rod of appropriate diameter to do the shaping. Have the spindle pass down through the hole in the table, then the sanding rod is laid on the table. Gives you fine control over the positioning of the sanding rod.

You can't grind very far in the radial direction, not much material to work with that way. But you can grind it back, axially towards the centerplane of the bike. You're making your spindle a little narrower, as in maybe (if the pits are deep) you won't have enough threads on the adjustable cup for the lockring. But for any normal amount of pitting, this is a trivial amount. Many frames have BB shells slightly less than 68 mm wide anyway, so this could even improve the fit, at least visually — fewer "extra" threads on the adjustable cup, out past the lockring.

This drill press technique works well for hub cones also.

Since the Zeus spindle is somewhat precious, try this technique on a cheap spindle you don't care about first, to hone your technique.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 01-31-21, 06:18 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Seems to me that not long ago there was a thread where someone ( @Madhonk ? ) was polishing out pitting on cups.

cheers.

Brad
Old 01-31-21, 06:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 1,136 Posts
Yeah, it was me. I offered to do the same for this but no response yet. The amount of removal of metal is about 1mm for the entire spindle and cup sections. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-31-21, 07:37 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Those existing cones can probably be reground. Ideally by a machinist but I have gotten some decent results using a drill press to spin the spindle, and sanding cloth or paper wrapped around a rod of appropriate diameter to do the shaping. Have the spindle pass down through the hole in the table, then the sanding rod is laid on the table. Gives you fine control over the positioning of the sanding rod.

You can't grind very far in the radial direction, not much material to work with that way. But you can grind it back, axially towards the centerplane of the bike. You're making your spindle a little narrower, as in maybe (if the pits are deep) you won't have enough threads on the adjustable cup for the lockring. But for any normal amount of pitting, this is a trivial amount. Many frames have BB shells slightly less than 68 mm wide anyway, so this could even improve the fit, at least visually — fewer "extra" threads on the adjustable cup, out past the lockring.

This drill press technique works well for hub cones also.

Since the Zeus spindle is somewhat precious, try this technique on a cheap spindle you don't care about first, to hone your technique.

Mark B in Seattle
I know about trying to grind/polish out pits, that's a non-starter. I've measured race concentricity and smoothness, and there is no point in trying to achieve the necessary level of precision; when you consider than grade 25 balls vary less than one ten-thousandth of an inch at the maxiumum, and pits/fretting damage are visible when they are the same order of size (though by the time they get noticed they are usually *much* deeper), there is no way someone using a cheap hand-tool with a runout twenty times that can do more than make it shiny. And drill presses are notorious for runout, never mind hand-holding the abrasive. Hold six-tenths? I doubt it.

I did try this once, put a pitted TA axle on a small Brown & Sharp horizontal mill, mounted a spindle with what I though was a fine-grain stone in the vice and went at it. Various steps after that finishing with jeweller's rouge. The end result was not worth the time and bother.

Last edited by oneclick; 07-14-21 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 07:40 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by southpawboston
Are you concerned about keeping it authentic or do you just want to utilize the Ti spindle? You could remove the steel races and measure the diameter of the shoulders and possibly fit standard cartridge bearings and use Phil rings as the cups.
Yes, I have been tempted to press them off and see if a standard cartridge bearing will fit.
Old 01-31-21, 07:44 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
<snip> grade 25 balls vary less than a thousandth of an inch <snip>
Yeah you're definitely not going to get "as good as new" or anywhere near that, with any home-handyman DIY method. I only suggested it as one step better than riding them pitted, or throwing the spindle away.

Mark B
Old 01-31-21, 08:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
hone your technique.
I see what you did there.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-01-21, 12:28 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,492 Posts
received a reply from an ebayer in Spain offering Zues bits who may have the pressfit races;Hello. I think I have but in another store and I do not know when I could go for it because we are confined by the Virus and can not circulate in Valencia. Thank you

New message from: coleccionismojb (123)

auctions; https://www.ebay.com/itm/143372013311?ul_noapp=true