Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

whats a chub hub and why do they exist?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-13-21, 05:01 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Been seeing them, just wondering what they are about? Why would you want a hub that fat?
Old 08-13-21, 05:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Basically you're shooting for taller flanges for shorter spoke lengths resulting in stiffer wheels with better steering response, typical reason for going high flange. The hub, due to its size, also claims for better power transfer between the drive and non-drive so the wheel is stronger.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-13-21, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
They haven't made them in a while but it was a carbon hub with high flanges. I mean yeah it has all the stuff Russ Roth said but it was also for looks mostly I am sure. I am pretty sure they called it a lifestyle in their adverts for it on their old website.
Old 09-30-21, 06:27 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 202 Posts
There was an article about them saying that the appeal was to have more hub and less spoke, so that will make the wheel stiffer, but any high flange track hub will do the same thing with less weight. It is basically a marketing gimmick, which many things are.