Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 11:35 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
Great score on a gorgeous Cannondale. I love that color. One day I'll add one to my collection.
I discovered the same nagging issue about the Sora brifters last week. I guess this problem is true with any brifter with thumb levers (ie. Campy too).
Thanks

I would have bought the bike even if it was a gaudy color for that price, but when I saw that wine color in great shape I was really sold. the two paint chips show up in the one pic chain ring side top tube. other than that its really like new. The photos don’t do the "wine" color justice.

If anyone has any information on the year etc. and something I could trace the color back to for touchup I would appreciate the info? I have been searching around a little but haven't found the info.

The thumb buttons do work nice in conjunction with the bullhorns. I know many would view chopping the bars as blasphemy but I wanted a setup I would ride and I think this might work. I'm still tweaking the bar height and angle, seat position etc.
I like how fast the shift is on the chain rings when popping the button. Great when you hit the bottom of a dip and want to drop for a climb quickly without moving hand position.
Another question. The left hand shifter says Shimano Triple. Will that same shifter handle a triple chain ring setup?

Old 08-08-11, 12:10 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, you have the triple version. It'll have the extra range to handle 3 rings.
Old 08-08-11, 12:25 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WNG
Great score on a gorgeous Cannondale. I love that color. One day I'll add one to my collection.
I discovered the same nagging issue about the Sora brifters last week. I guess this problem is true with any brifter with thumb levers (ie. Campy too).
on the Campy shifters, I usually reach up with my thumb when I'm in the drops...it's not bad imho
Old 08-08-11, 01:13 PM
bud16415

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
WNG
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the photos show all the components. How hard or involved or expensive would it be adding a triple with a granny gear to this bike? Where I live we have some long climbs and my touring bike has me spoiled with my low of 19 gear inches. I don’t mind spinning as much as torque in my old age.

fiataccompli
I was able to shift it that way also but my hands are smaller maybe because it felt a little uncertain. I got into the same thing with my STI's also and lowered them more on the drop than normal. that caused a problem reaching the hoods when on top. I fixed that being it’s a touring bike by raising the bars to a compromise height (easy ride height) and the tops are a very easy ride height. Hauling a lot of gear wind isn't as big a issue. Just riding this around the last couple nights and adjusting things I'm liking this bike a lot. Maybe that’s because its 25 pounds lighter than the other bike! I haven't weighed the Cannondale yet but it feels very light to lift.
Old 08-08-11, 03:24 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to the "are you looking for one of these" thread, a 531 LeJeune
Some 700c wheels, cables, grease and some quality time with an OA bath and she will be nice!

Old 08-08-11, 05:11 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Originally Posted by bud16415
WNG
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the photos show all the components. How hard or involved or expensive would it be adding a triple with a granny gear to this bike? Where I live we have some long climbs and my touring bike has me spoiled with my low of 19 gear inches. I don’t mind spinning as much as torque in my old age.
The original crank appears to be a Shimano 600. That means its BB spindle is likely 113mm asymmetric. Since there are brifters, I'll assume it's been updated some point. The rear derailleur doesn't look like a Shimano 600. You mentioned Ultegra...I will assume 8 speed model back there. You will need to replace the crank and BB for a triple model. Adding a granny ring won't be easy because you'll need to locate a specialty inner ring with holes to attach a granny ring. Plus, it must be in 130mm diameter. Then the BB spindle will be too short. Best to go new. The granny requires a new triple front derailleur, the cage profile reaches lower and can pull the chain up to the middle ring. And you'll need a new long cage rear derailleur to take up the extra chain length. And of course, you need a new, longer chain.
Cost is dependent on level of component quality, sales/closeouts/clearances/ebay pricing, and if you can do your own wrenching.

Some low cost triples I've seen floating around the 'net/ebay... new old stock Campy Mirage triple or Veloce triple for under $40. Also a Truvativ Touro for $29-35.
A Shimano 105 braze-on triple FD is a possible choice. And any long cage Shimano rear will work....including mtb models like Exage, Deore, Alivio. A long cage 105 GS rear is a nice unit.

Last edited by WNG; 08-08-11 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-08-11, 06:57 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
1988 Schwinn Circuit Road Bike. I bought this bike in 1995 and have replaced most everything. I haven't used it for 8 years.
25" frame, you should probably be 6' or taller. Shimano Sante brakes and shifters, 7-speed cassette. I installed a Durace crankset (53/39), Selle saddle, Mavic Reflex wheels (32 spoke), Continental tires, Syntace aerobars, Avocet 35 computer, 27.2 American Classic seat post, and clipless pedals.
This bike has a sweet ride. Nothing is wrong with it as far as I know.
I have the original Schwinn brochure with all the specs listed. Call or email me for more info.

Found this on the local CL today. I just sold 2 kids mtb's yesterday so I took the plunge since it's my size and I always wanted a Circuit. It's in fantastic condition although some of the Sante bits have been replaced with DuraAce (OK in my book )
Old 08-08-11, 08:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I picked up a Nishiki Olympic, big frame, at the Dump over the weekend, along with a few roadsters, all of which went to Bicycles for Humanity. I also scored a very nice Miyata 310 in excellent condition and a nice old 58cm Dawes Galaxy. I can't remember if I posted the Trek 330 I got at the Dump the weekend before last.

I am going to fit the handlebar shifters to my Specialized Junker II as soon as I get a chance. I already have a set put aside so I don't have to pirate these ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Miyata_310_48_Full_TQF_L_3.jpg (107.5 KB, 82 views)
Trek_330_2_AF_Shifters_1.jpg (92.0 KB, 79 views)
Miyata_310_48_Full_TQF_4.jpg (105.4 KB, 82 views)
Trek_330_2_AF_Full_TQF_3.jpg (105.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-09-11, 06:39 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just finished rebuilding this Peugeot for a coworker. She's an 85.

Old 08-09-11, 07:27 AM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
Thanks to the "are you looking for one of these" thread, a 531 LeJeune
Some 700c wheels, cables, grease and some quality time with an OA bath and she will be nice!

Can you show me a close up picture of your bed mount for your fork you have there on the bed? I like that.
Old 08-10-11, 10:52 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I just finished rebuilding this Peugeot for a coworker. She's an 85.

That looks nice. It looks like there is some nice pearl in that white paint its that the case? I had a Miele that had that pearl white and I wished it was a larger size, but its good it wasn't. =)
Old 08-10-11, 11:09 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I snagged Peugeot Bordeaux the other day from the local bike charity. I had seen the carnage a couple times before and wondered what they were going to do with it. The guy I was talking to said the make him an offer on the bike and I decided to look it over more and then I remembered I had a frame to put the parts on. I made an offer which I think the guy thought was generous which maybe it was and I walked out with perfect donor bike. Whoever had this before they crashed it put some decent investment into it with newer bar tape, brake hood plus some Continental tires. Its a shame even though its not a special bike overall. Its going to be a great donor bike for the Cannondale below

Notice its busted at the rear of the chainstay where it goes to the dropout. This thing took a beating. I do have the front wheel as well and it seems just fine.

Any other ideas of what to do with this frame other than wall art?

Now to the frame I will be putting the parts on. Its a Cannondale frame I bought from a used bike shop a few years ago to build up a commuter bike for a friend's roommate. The guy rode this bike alot and rode it pretty hard and it had a bunch of hodgepodge parts on it after I made a number of repairs and its now just been sitting for over a year since the roommate is gone. I convinced hi without much effort to let me give it another life. I was messing around with it and realized it must be a touring frame since it had eyelets and attachments for racks. I am not sure of the year, but I am actually more excited about the build since it should make it worth more when I get it done. There is no way I could ride this thing when its finished. If anyone has any info on this frame it would be cool. I searched through the Cannondale catalogs and I couldn't come up with an exact year.

Last edited by monsterpile; 08-10-11 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 11:41 PM
Dtownokie

Bikes: Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High Sierra (Year unknown I believe 84-88)

8/9/2011 just so happened to be trash day and my next door neighbor was pulling out of the drive same time as we were that morning. She had a bike right in her front drive for the trash man or someone to take. She kindly asked me, would you like to have this bike? It used to be my sons and he no longer wants it. I said hmm, I have not ridden a bike consistently in 20 years. The bike had 2 flat tires and I was unsure what I was getting into to be honest. Plus a Yellow bike was not too appealing to me. At First! Until The Schwinn decals started calling my name. As I studied the bike online and off and found this bike was a beast back in the day with many highend parts. It seems to have a mixture of parts from 84-88 Its doesn't fit entirely any one particular year as all the parts being the same. LOL the same day I took it up to the local bike shop is how excited I was. They seemed pretty impressed with the bike and shape of it. Obviously it needs a tune up and adjusted for my riding habits. Anyhoot I talked to the gentleman about it for a while and what would need to be done for tune up and updating the bike. He aired up the tires for me and what do you know,the tires held air and when I got home taking that Yellow Bumble Bee for a ride around the block got my juices flowing as the 110 degree heat whisked in my face. (haha) However I am a new proud owner of this bike and would be delighted to find out the exact Year as I attempt to bring this back to life. I do have the serial number GN 705560 (I am assuming the G stands for Giant?) But we all know what assuming=anassoutofyouandme. I would like to start by trying to decode the year on this....I had a tell tell sign today when I looked up the cranks shimano fc-b124. As far as I can tell they did not come out until 1986. I could be wrong, but that is what my due diligence told me. Some parts tend to be 1984 through 1988. Thanks in advance for any info on this bike. The brakes look to be center Dia Compe. Uraya rims, shimano deore dx rear derailer. There is still a lot I need to learn. However here are some pics, it will get cleaned up in the next week or so and maybe painted or was even wondering about seeing how much is chromed.
Old 08-11-11, 08:00 AM
Dtownokie

Bikes: Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reviewing the forum in greater detail, this might not be the best thread to ask my questions above I would assume? The main question for me is trying to determine the date of the bike. ( If I could get help with that I would be grateful) Is $59.99 a reasonable amount to tune up a bike with a wash and wax? Under the yellow paint on this bike is it polished chrome? In some places where paint has some hickies it looks very shiny underneath. (Leads me to thinking of stripping all the yellow) of course I don't want to do more harm than good.
Old 08-11-11, 09:00 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dtownokie
The main question for me is trying to determine the date of the bike.
1988. Yes-that is reasonable for LBS rates. The chrome under the paint will not be over a polished surface and might not look that good.

https://mombat.org/Schwinn_Specs.htm
Old 08-11-11, 09:05 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
After reviewing the forum in greater detail, this might not be the best thread to ask my questions above I would assume? The main question for me is trying to determine the date of the bike. ( If I could get help with that I would be grateful) Is $59.99 a reasonable amount to tune up a bike with a wash and wax? Under the yellow paint on this bike is it polished chrome? In some places where paint has some hickies it looks very shiny underneath. (Leads me to thinking of stripping all the yellow) of course I don't want to do more harm than good.
Actually where I live a tuneup is $75 with no wash and wax, so if you can't do that kind of thing yourself then it's a good deal.

The shiny metal under any Schwinn is just a more recent scratch that exposed the metal and that metal hasn't not had time to rust. Most Italian steel bikes and some others where actually chromed first to prevent rust then painted, some times they left half of the forks and half of the rear stays chrome for looks. Most American and Japanese made bikes were zinc treated to help prevent rust. Low end bikes had neither chrome or zinc treatments.

So in conclusion don't strip the paint, in fact you may want to touch up the bare areas to prevent rusting.
Old 08-11-11, 10:30 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the copper stem
Old 08-11-11, 12:33 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Great score on the High Sierra! As you've discovered, you got gifted a high-end Schwinn. And the paint looks quite good. I would not strip it as it'll lower its value, plus it's not certain yours is fully chromed beneath. Several versions did have chroming, but yours is fully painted.
The yellow looks cool, and I'm sure in time it'll grow on you. It's MTB, it's supposed to be loud and brightly colored.

If you don't have basic and intermediate bike tools, then giving it a proper tune-up (overhauling/relubing bearings) will be tough. So paying the labor cost is reasonable if you want to ride it immediately. Of course the cost could be rolled into tools, and you can read up on basic maintenance. Depends on how committed you are.

Enjoy your Schwinn. It's a great bike, I have a Sierra, one below yours. And it's a nicely made frame. Your suspicion that Giant made it has merit. I suspect it's Giant given the rear drop out design...matches Giant bikes from that era.
Old 08-11-11, 01:46 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I finally ( after nothing since spring) picked up a few bikes (7 altogether) in the last week most needing repairs that are minor. The best out of the lot was a Schwinn Voyageur GSX hybrid w/sram 3x7 Dual Drive on it. It was in ride on condition and everything is in great shape and needs just a seat( installed it on Frankenfuji ) & wash & wax before I decide what I am going to do with it.

The other bike that needed tires & a service that is in great shape is a 1973 Woman's Schwinn Collegiate 5spd, someone installed new tires from Wallmart which they must have had a hell of a time getting them on since it takes 26x1 1/4" tires & not the 26x1 3/8" ones that they forced on there.
The other bikes are,
A low end Bianchi road bike with a bent fork
Trek Mountain Track 800 with a bad frame but everything else in good shape. One of 4 Treks that I have that had gotten water in the frame then froze destroying the NDS chainstay, I have never had any other frame but a Trek do this, Poor design???
Peugeot US Express MTB in poor shape
Murry 10spd road bike w/24" wheels needs front chainrings & chain easy fix cheap sale . Has new tires.
Columbia 10spd Road bike needs a front wheel easy fix cheap sale.

Old 08-11-11, 01:50 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Good deal on the High Sierra. I think that's a reasonable price for a tune-up. What shop did you take it to? If you decide you don't like it or it's too small, I'm local and would take it off your hands.
Old 08-11-11, 03:17 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
Trek Mountain Track 800 with a bad frame but everything else in good shape. One of 4 Treks that I have that had gotten water in the frame then froze destroying the NDS chainstay, I have never had any other frame but a Trek do this, Poor design???

I had a trek 800 series with the same thing that happened as well. Maybe its just odd luck. Those cranks on the Trek look like the ones that were recalled. Here is a link if you want to check.

https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml97/97149.html
Old 08-11-11, 03:32 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I finally ( after nothing since spring) picked up a few bikes (7 altogether) in the last week most needing repairs that are minor. The best out of the lot was a Schwinn Voyageur GSX hybrid w/sram 3x7 Dual Drive on it. It was in ride on condition and everything is in great shape and needs just a seat( installed it on Frankenfuji ) & wash & wax before I decide what I am going to do with it.

The other bike that needed tires & a service that is in great shape is a 1973 Woman's Schwinn Collegiate 5spd, someone installed new tires from Wallmart which they must have had a hell of a time getting them on since it takes 26x1 1/4" tires & not the 26x1 3/8" ones that they forced on there.
The other bikes are,
A low end Bianchi road bike with a bent fork
Peugeot US Express MTB in poor shape
Murry 10spd road bike w/24" wheels needs front chainrings & chain easy fix cheap sale . Has new tires.
Columbia 10spd Road bike needs a front wheel easy fix cheap sale.

Check the model number on that Altus crank and see if it's recalled.
Old 08-11-11, 05:22 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks guys, I am already on top of it. That is the updated crank on there already, I am waiting for 2 of the warranty crank kits now and it was the first thing I checked on this Trek 800 when I got it home. I still have one more to remove from a GT MTB also that will make 5 this year total that I exchanged.

As far as the Trek 800 series frames freezing and cracking the chainstays, if you look at the frames the chainstay tilts towards the BB which when it gets water in it it is unable to drain out of the drains at the rear of the stays. Most other bikes I think have a chainstay that is more level letting water drain out, I mean I have a lot of parts bikes that live outside all year round and it hasn't happened to any one of them.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 08-11-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 09:00 PM
Zermatt7

Bikes: Schwinn, Specialized, Motiv,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bud16415

Check your pm's
Old 08-12-11, 05:17 AM
bud16415

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zermatt7
bud16415

Check your pm's
Hey Eric
Tried to reply but said I need 50 posts, so here is another towards the count.
Thanks for writing. You wouldn’t happen to be the Eric I know from town would you?

I'm liking the Cannondale more and more and I still can't believe the deal I got. People get tired of their toys I guess. I have only seen one other person do a drop bar chop that way, most people also flop them leaving the levers below the bar and the hood unusable. I have that mirror type on a few bikes and like it. Wasn’t easy to mount it into the stub left when chopping the bars on this one as the bars are curved there. had to shorten the angle wedge on it quite a bit. and I'm not super happy with the location. On my tour bike I have a fitting that mounts under the brake hood I might just try that this weekend. Where it's at is ok at night I see the lights coming but not the best to see as I have arm in way a little, also it bugs my pinky finger a little.

Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.