Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you rather.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Would you rather.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 10:51 PM
Epicus07
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Would you rather.....

Destroy a mint condition paint job on a 70's Schwinn Paramount or ride this mtb as your only bike for 1 year?

This is only a game and no bicycles will be harmed

Answer my question and put up your own.

Last edited by Epicus07; 05-09-12 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:00 PM
mb158127

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Ooh this is fun - I'd rather destroy the paint, can always be repainted. I don't have the free time to spend keeping the huffy going.

Would you rather do a fixie conversion including rattle can respray and grind off RD hanger on a good condition early 70s Raleigh Team Pro (full campy), or get doored at 30 mph with no time to brake.
Old 05-10-12, 02:01 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mb158127

Would you rather do a fixie conversion including rattle can respray and grind off RD hanger on a good condition early 70s Raleigh Team Pro (full campy), or get doored at 30 mph with no time to brake.
Sorry to say, but the bike gets the axe. No fun when somebody has to grind out your collarbone.

So next one: would you rather spend your last 50$ for the month on a lucky find bike (like, say the aformentioned paramount) or on food?
Old 05-10-12, 02:48 AM
rfj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Italuminium
would you rather spend your last 50$ for the month on a lucky find bike (like, say the aformentioned paramount) or on food?
A man's gotta eat... to keep on riding bikes.

Would you rather ride your dream frame with department store components or a department store frame with your favorite groupset for a year?
Old 05-10-12, 05:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Answer: I'd ride the Paramount; that's what it's for.

Question(s): Would you rather....

...ride a superbe frame with no decals, or a beautifully labled fake?

....pull for several sweeties, and be "da man," or ride cleanup and daydream the entire ride?

....know what women really think, or toss yourself off a cliff?

....have a fly caught in your hair, or....?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-11-12 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-10-12, 09:16 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
in the tradition this thread is going we must answer before stating a new choice!

answer well I would like the huffy frame with campy SR bits, I will be smiling untill the year is over and I can get a good bike together as frames are quicker to find then complete groupsets!

choice hmmm....

would you rather see a valuable bike in the dump -post mortem of the frontloader bending it in half and buried in other scrap metal (you really just cant pull it out and chuck it in the van as it is in too deep)

-or-

know there is a local idiot with an 70's paramount with campy SR who drives around with the bars flipped over, toeclips bent off, spray can paint,ripped seat,deraileur cables broken, bent wheels and rusty. and wont sell it or trade it because sombody says its worth a thousand bucks.....and you see this idiot driving around every fargan day.
Old 05-10-12, 10:06 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Similarly, would you rather be shot and killed in the head? or the heart?

Heads you win, tails you lose? I know, exaggeration, but, it's a no win proposition. I would just ride the huffy, if it were me, and be miserable!
Old 05-10-12, 11:24 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE=RobbieTunes;14204454

Would you rather....

ride a superbe frame with no decals, or a beautifully labled fake?

pull for several sweeties, and be "da man," or ride cleanup and daydream the entire ride?

know what women really think, or toss yourself off a cliff?[/QUOTE]

1. Ride a decal-less wonderful frame. Not only do you get to enjoy its performance, it drives the label-conscious crazy. All it takes is one incident where you get 'outed' by an owner of an authentic frame, in front of a group of riders, to change your mind about passing off a fake. Poseurs get no credibility in my book.

2. Hmmm, this is a tough one....depends on whether said 'sweeties' are very close friends to each other, or competitive acquaintances. Regardless, if you man up and pull said cadence-challenged harem, they will expect this out of you anyway; you're the man and supposed to do so. If they are the former, don't expect more than a pat on the back and an energy gel. If they are the latter, there is the possibility that they'll become catty and compete to not only hug your wheel, but you as well. It's a gamble....do you expel and treat yourself to a lactic acid milkshake...for a gel (behind door #1) or a sweetie (door #2)? It also depends on if you have a nice view to offer them too. Big mid-life crisis wanna-bees will offer a view that'll make them turn and head the opposite way.

Now the alternative is clear and known....enjoy an immediate satisfaction of a kaleidoscopic display of pleasurable golden-ratio-ed shapes in motion. (door #3). I think Steve Martin said it best... you put a woman on a pedestal only high enough to see up her skirt.
If you're married w/ children, you never had a choice, buddy!

Safe choice is door #3, too many unknown variables.

3. If one tosses oneself off a cliff, he perishes not knowing a mystery as great as the universe. I'd rather discover what is in a woman's mind first. If I can't fathom it all, the cliff is still there for relief.

My Question:

If faced with the dilemma of having to split your cherished collection and handing them over to a spiteful spouse who has no genuine interest in your collection. Do you simply do so, and watch half your collection be sold off, handed over to spouse's new partner, etc. Or do you destroy them yourself?

Note: with respect to all the ladies who are part of this forum, my post is all tongue-cheek, and is influenced by certain personal current events.
Old 05-10-12, 11:41 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
My Question:

If faced with the dilemma of having to split your cherished collection and handing them over to a spiteful spouse who has no genuine interest in your collection. Do you simply do so, and watch half your collection be sold off, handed over to spouse's new partner, etc. Or do you destroy them yourself?

Note: with respect to all the ladies who are part of this forum, my post is all tongue-cheek, and is influenced by certain personal current events.

A: I'd rather have her next lover take the bikes because...down the road...someone is enjoying them. I'm not into spite most of the time.

My question -

Would you rather destroy your favorite every day riding bike in an accident or one of your Sunday's best, more valuable but less functional bikes?
Old 05-10-12, 11:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
My Question:
Would you rather destroy your favorite every day riding bike in an accident or one of your Sunday's best, more valuable but less functional bikes?
Answer: I think of this as a 'which would I sell?' type of question. My favorite is my favorite because it's closest to me. It's comfortable, it's practical - I can use it. The other bike is "valuable" - meaning that deep down I wish I hadn't spent the money on it after all. So, to me, destroy the less functional more expensive one and count it as a lesson learned.

Be content with such things as you have because He Himself has said "I will never leave your nor forsake you."

My question:

Would you choose to watch your favorite team's semi-final elimination match or to take your wife dancing if she asked you to? Rules: you can't change the question by using a DVR or some other contrivance.
Old 05-10-12, 12:14 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Answer: I think of this as a 'which would I sell?' type of question. My favorite is my favorite because it's closest to me. It's comfortable, it's practical - I can use it. The other bike is "valuable" - meaning that deep down I wish I hadn't spent the money on it after all. So, to me, destroy the less functional more expensive one and count it as a lesson learned.

Be content with such things as you have because He Himself has said "I will never leave your nor forsake you."

My question:

Would you choose to watch your favorite team's semi-final elimination match or to take your wife dancing if she asked you to? Rules: you can't change the question by using a DVR or some other contrivance.
There you go Phil, talking sense and wisdom! When it comes to bikes, I'm always in conflict with wisdom.
Old 05-10-12, 01:01 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd scratch the Paramount tape off with a butter knife before I'd subject my prostate to a trail ride on the Huffy.

Get doored at 30mph - at least you and the 'dooree' are the only ones who have to know how bad you're hurting.

Bike - because I'm overweight and could do with missing a meal.

Dream frame with Dept store hardware - just won't change gears for 1 year.

No decals - hate em anyway.

Daydream - save the energy in case I truly get the opportunity to be "da man" with said group of sweeties.

I know what women really think and it usually ends with me 'tossing myself off...'

Accept some yahoo riding a gem-turned-abomination - I've no right to say 'how' it should be ridden.

Heart - I got shot and killed in the head once and it hurt like the dickens.

Hand over the bikes but crack a few welds first and hope her new spouse lives just long enough so I can stop paying alimony.

I'd rather destroy my Sunday Best - there are so many beautiful old jewels out there, but finding a favorite bike that fits you 'just right' can take years.

Dancing - my wife is a total Babe.

My Question:

Would you rather have to do a century on a ridiculously sloped track bike in skinny jeans, or a recumbent with helmet mounted mirror?
Old 05-10-12, 01:08 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Sloped track bike. I'm in college. When I've a grey beard, the 'bent.

Next one: so you walk on a shopping street, and there's a guy selling used bikes, right? There's two neat mtb's, same price, but you can only buy one. One is your size, the other perfect for a family member who wants to start riding. Which one? I was faced with that one this weekend. I went for "sleep it over" returned the next day to buy the bike for my sister, but the man was no longer there. Bummer.
Old 05-10-12, 01:31 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd buy the mtb for me. Supposing it were actually an mtb I'd want at this point, it would be overkill for a beginner.

Q: Would you rather...

stop wrenching on bikes altogether

OR

be able to continue wrenching on bikes, but can only ride once a week?
Old 05-10-12, 04:27 PM
Epicus07
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Riding > Wrenching. Unless i was so physically declined that i could only tolerate a ride once a week, and then i would cherish being able to wrench.

Would you rather discover that the bike you just bought....

Had a stuck seatpost or a stripped bottom bracket?

Last edited by Epicus07; 05-10-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 07:24 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too.

Stuck seat post. I've had a lot more luck with those.

Would you rather have just one bike

or

have as many bikes as you want, none of which are in your fit range?
Old 05-10-12, 07:58 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink

Would you rather have just one bike

or

have as many bikes as you want, none of which are in your fit range?
Answer: Just my one bike that fits me, of course (that's what I have now). What good is a stable full of wall hangers? Anyway my wife says we don't have the room.

Question: Which modern era cycling innovation would you rather see "un-invented" - clipless pedals or brifters?
Old 05-10-12, 09:31 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Question: Which modern era cycling innovation would you rather see "un-invented" - clipless pedals or brifters?
Easy...clipless...the shoes look goofy

Q: 75 degrees and sunny, ya just brought home your "Grail" from a yard sale and your buddy calls ya up to go riding...ride or fondle the new toy?
Old 05-10-12, 10:17 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
I guess it depends on the condition of the bike. But if it is 'grail' I am also assuming grail condition, so it is ridable.

I'm going to say ride and show off.

New question:

You go out riding on your nicest/favorite bike and get ten miles, then it begins to pour. You have no way back except to ride after it quits raining. The problem: There are only two ways back: one way is through 5 miles of .5 inch mud, one is through 5 miles of 2 inch deep water and possible potholes. Which way do you take?
Old 05-11-12, 05:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My question:

Would you choose to watch your favorite team's semi-final elimination match or to take your wife dancing if she asked you to?
You have to go dancing.

Your team will play again.
You may not.

Originally Posted by habes78023
New question:

You go out riding on your nicest/favorite bike and get ten miles, then it begins to pour. You have no way back except to ride after it quits raining. The problem: There are only two ways back: one way is through 5 miles of .5 inch mud, one is through 5 miles of 2 inch deep water and possible potholes. Which way do you take?
Take the water. Mud will slow you down.

Originally Posted by Velognome
Question: 75 degrees and sunny, ya just brought home your "Grail" from a yard sale and your buddy calls ya up to go riding...ride or fondle the new toy?
Fondle, because you can do it when no one's looking.
Originally Posted by dmcdam
My Question:

Would you rather have to do a century on a ridiculously sloped track bike in skinny jeans, or a recumbent with helmet mounted mirror?
Have to choose the recumbent. The skinny jeans, well, let's just say that would be a contradiction in terms on me.

Originally Posted by rfj
Would you rather ride your dream frame with department store components or a department store frame with your favorite groupset for a year?
Gotta pick the frame. A beautiful woman is still beautiful, even in Walmart wearing sweatpants.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-11-12 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-11-12, 07:31 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You have to go dancing.
Your team will play again.
You may not.

Take the water. Mud will slow you down.

Fondle, because you can do it when no one's looking.
Have to choose the recumbent. The skinny jeans, well, let's just say that would be contradiction in terms.

Gotta pick the frame. A beautiful woman is still beautiful in Walmart wearing sweatpants.
I'll ask one on behalf of Robbie -

Q: would you rather have a great solo ride where you beat a best time, or see something gorgeous

Or

Would you rather have a casual ride with a partner that they enjoy while spending time with them?
Old 05-11-12, 07:36 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would destroy the paint job on the Paramount by using it as my only bike. Mom always said I can't have anything nice.

Bob
Old 05-11-12, 07:47 AM
Miyata110

Bikes: 1986 Miyata 110

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'll ask one on behalf of Robbie -

Q: would you rather have a great solo ride where you beat a best time, or see something gorgeous

Or

Would you rather have a casual ride with a partner that they enjoy while spending time with them?
Solo for sure.

Question: Would you rather limit your BF time to only the 41, or quit BF all together?
Old 05-11-12, 08:05 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by Miyata110
Solo for sure.

Question: Would you rather limit your BF time to only the 41, or quit BF all together?
Lol, I'm sure I'll have a heck of a time discussing the merits of a carbon fibre merkin and deriding anyone who rides a bike for fun instead of a vain ideal of being the worlds greatest racer.

Next up: if you only can have one bike, would you take a high end mtb or a mid range roadie?
Old 05-11-12, 08:47 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Lol, I'm sure I'll have a heck of a time discussing the merits of a carbon fibre merkin and deriding anyone who rides a bike for fun instead of a vain ideal of being the worlds greatest racer.

Next up: if you only can have one bike, would you take a high end mtb or a mid range roadie?
Mid range Roadie. I crash too much on my mtb to have a high end one.

Would you rather have to take apart and fix a freewheel or take apart and fix an STI shifter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.