Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can a Bafang mid-drive shift an internal Sturmey Archer hub?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 12:12 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am thinking of a Bafang mid drive for my next ebike project and have I a new Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal that takes an 8/9 speed cassette with 24 or 27 speeds I thought would be perfect. The problem is that the 3 speed will only shift properly when back pedaled and the long rundown seems to be the weak point of this mid drive. Has anyone found a good way to "clutch" the motor for shifting an internal hub? Alternatively I'll just do a hub drive again. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-15, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bafang is Chinese Right?.

German Mid drives are probably better. Raleigh builds a frame around theirs

Raleigh Bicycles - Tekoa-iE

Pedal-electric-assist is a type which stops Electric-power when you stop pedaling, that may be the "clutch" theme you seek.

Internal gears Just need a Pause in power input, coast for a few feet, and let the gear change happen ,
you dont have to "BackPedal".

A Rohloff IGH is pretty strong if not geared too low , 42:16 in a 26" wheel is probably OK , that is what they recommend for Tandems .

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-05-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 01:45 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks fietsbob, there are good and bad products made everywhere in the world.

The German drives I have seen all require a frame made specifically for the drive system; is there a reasonably priced retrofit I haven't seen?

I am looking for an affordable retrofit and the Bafang has generally good reviews and a great price with the gear train wear from the lack of torque sensing for shifting being the most mentioned shortcoming. One of the things I like most about bikes is that most parts can be made to fit most bikes making obsolescence less of an issue.

The Raleigh is a pretty expensive option compared to an $900 complete mid drive system and a bike from the existing fleet, nice clean lines though.
Old 08-05-15, 06:53 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one thing that has always keep me from trying a Bafang, is how do you service the bottom bracket? It has it own shaft and bearings and from what I can tell a pretty big job to replace bearings. And bottom bracket bearings do usually need replacing from time to time.
Old 08-06-15, 04:57 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Silly question about the Bafang. Do the pedals have to move when the motor is engaged, or can they free wheel with respect to the crank. I watched a video, and pehaps it was a a trick of the camera angle, but it sure looked like the rider's feet were not moving when he claimed he was pressing the throttle button.
Old 08-07-15, 05:15 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
ba fang mid drive has a both straight throttle mode and a pedal assist mode. Mine should be here any day now, hopefully

Old 08-07-15, 06:20 PM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Silly question about the Bafang. Do the pedals have to move when the motor is engaged, or can they free wheel with respect to the crank. I watched a video, and pehaps it was a a trick of the camera angle, but it sure looked like the rider's feet were not moving when he claimed he was pressing the throttle button.
The pedals do not have to move when running under throttle.