Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help MTB frame 1989 identification ?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-26-18, 01:33 AM
Sanz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I buy a frame set of bikes. I just want to know what type and brand
For my bike. I just know tube ovesize and fork cromoly.
Can u help identification my frame bike thanks. @T-Mar

Last edited by Sanz; 04-29-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 05:22 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame bike mtb identification?

I buy a frame set of bikes. I just want to know what type and brand
For my bike. I just know tube ovesize and fork cromoly.
Can u help identification my frame bike thanks. @T-Mar;

Last edited by Sanz; 04-29-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 06:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.

Please do not Cross Post.
Old 04-26-18, 06:06 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Duplicate threads merged.

Please do not Cross Post.
Ok admin.
Sorry and thanks for moved my thread
Old 04-26-18, 06:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't know the identity but the serial number may indicate 1989 manufacture. The presence of a kickstand plate is typically an indicator of a entry level model and this one is crooked. Installing a kickstand could interfere with the rear derailleur cable. If you remove the fork, there may be the fork manufacturer's name, a date code and an alloy designation. Another good indicator of frame level is the diameter of seat post required.
Old 04-26-18, 07:02 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone can help me identification?
Old 04-26-18, 07:10 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't know the identity but the serial number may indicate 1989 manufacture. The presence of a kickstand plate is typically an indicator of a entry level model and this one is crooked. Installing a kickstand could interfere with the rear derailleur cable. If you remove the fork, there may be the fork manufacturer's name, a date code and an alloy designation. Another good indicator of frame level is the diameter of seat post required.
ok tmar i will try to open the fork
Old 04-27-18, 08:08 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Whatever it is, I see no value here. Low end, as TMar pointed out with the cheap kickstand plate. Missing original paint and decals, poorly rattle canned. From that era, even pristine MTB frames don't have much value, except for a handful of top of the line models. This one is neither pristine nor top end.

If you have a donor bike, it would make a great college bike!

RD frame mount hanger puts this one above the box store models for sure.
yes I know this may be lower class bike and cheap. because I buy at flea market with cheap price too. I know this paint is not original. and a crooked kickstand holder, I had time to think this was a production defect. I dont care about that. what I want to know what type of bicycle and brand is my bike this?. because I intend to repaint original and build this bike.
thank you for identification my bike wrk
Old 04-27-18, 08:23 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
The markings are very generic. Then you have the fact that a lot of name brands that made some of their bikes, had bikes made by others. So is a Schwinn made by Giant a Giant or a Schwinn? Then you have all the private label bikes from that era, sold by chain stores like REI and others, that never made a single bicycle.

At best, your serial number MAY give a glimpse into who made it. It will not tell you model or brand that it was sold under. I have many, many bikes made by others, like Panasonic built Schwinns, Miki built Sakai, goes on and on. So the serial numbers on those bikes all represent the actual maker, and not the brand or model that the bike was sold under.

If its a private label bike, no one is following those brands, and you will not find repop decals for them.
Old 04-27-18, 10:24 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The markings are very generic. Then you have the fact that a lot of name brands that made some of their bikes, had bikes made by others. So is a Schwinn made by Giant a Giant or a Schwinn? Then you have all the private label bikes from that era, sold by chain stores like REI and others, that never made a single bicycle.

At best, your serial number MAY give a glimpse into who made it. It will not tell you model or brand that it was sold under. I have many, many bikes made by others, like Panasonic built Schwinns, Miki built Sakai, goes on and on. So the serial numbers on those bikes all represent the actual maker, and not the brand or model that the bike was sold under.

If its a private label bike, no one is following those brands, and you will not find repop decals for them.
that's what I'm confused about. I did not understand the bike at all and I just new liked the bike. thanks a lot wrk
, i become a little understand what is serial number. do you know something about my frame maker? I hope to get help from you and all. thank you
Old 04-27-18, 10:44 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Given you've exposed original paint on the bottom bracket, I suggest you use some aircraft stripper to peel the white paint, you may find logos or shadows of old decals underneath.
Old 04-27-18, 11:09 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanz
that's what I'm confused about. I did not understand the bike at all and I just new liked the bike. thanks a lot wrk
, i become a little understand what is serial number. do you know something about my frame maker? I hope to get help from you and all. thank you
Compare your serial number to TMar's database. Thats your best shot. Still won't tell you the model. And there are only limited catalogs on line. You are going to have to invest some time into this process and even then, you may never know. Generally, if you want to know brand and model, you are better off finding a frame that has not been repainted.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-27-18, 12:24 PM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compare your serial number to TMar's database. Thats your best shot. Still won't tell you the model. And there are only limited catalogs on line. You are going to have to invest some time into this process and even then, you may never know. Generally, if you want to know brand and model, you are better off finding a frame that has not been repainted.
ok. i'm looking for the info that from @T-Mar; give and is going to take off all the paint, want to know the basic color before. thank you wrk
i need help @T-Mar;

Last edited by Sanz; 04-27-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 12:43 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
90% sure that is a Giant made bicycle. As posted above, who knows what brand it sold as.

I am tuning up my girlfriends bike right now that she purchased brand new in 1991(?), and besides the kickstand plate, it's identical. Even the stem and headset.
It is labeled as "Main Tubes Cro-Moly".

Her bike is a Giant Rincon SN GVO 522XX
Old 04-27-18, 12:59 PM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
90% sure that is a Giant made bicycle. As posted above, who knows what brand it sold as.

I am tuning up my girlfriends bike right now that she purchased brand new in 1991(?), and besides the kickstand plate, it's identical. Even the stem and headset.
It is labeled as "Main Tubes Cro-Moly".

Her bike is a Giant Rincon SN GVO 522XX
Thank you for your attention. that's very helpful. for giant's brand frames are uploaded in my previous thread with gnc serial. with the help of the tmar it detected the giant brand. unfortunately I was late to buy the frame tesebut already sold. but for now i am looking for my frame identity which premises pr9xxxx serial .. for p maybe fuji, panasonic or the other. I'm finding out. do you know anything about my frame?
Old 04-27-18, 01:04 PM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Given you've exposed original paint on the bottom bracket, I suggest you use some aircraft stripper to peel the white paint, you may find logos or shadows of old decals underneath.
how to use manual method. in order for this white paint to peel? Thanks for ur recomended cycloto
Old 04-27-18, 01:25 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 91 Posts
I have had good luck with using Lacquer Thinner and scrubbing at the down tube and top tube to get the top layer of paint off to see what brand frame it was.
Old 04-27-18, 03:48 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
how to use manual method. in order for this white paint to peel? Thanks for ur recomended cycloto
You can buy it at your local auto parts store. It's nasty and will take everything off, but if you do a short duration application as described on the can I am sure you can just pull the white paint an see what is underneath.

However, using thinner and steel wool might be a bit easier and less risky, so you could try that first.
Old 04-28-18, 10:23 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
You can buy it at your local auto parts store. It's nasty and will take everything off, but if you do a short duration application as described on the can I am sure you can just pull the white paint an see what is underneath.

However, using thinner and steel wool might be a bit easier and less risky, so you could try that first.
ok thanks. I ready too try it. Hope sucssesfull
Old 05-08-18, 06:13 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi tmar. I got information from my friend that this is a raleigh. but I'm still not sure. how do you think tmar?
Old 05-08-18, 07:09 AM
T-Mar

hi tmar. I got information from my friend that this is a raleigh. but I'm still not sure. how do you think tmar?
I can't recall seeing a Raleigh that used that serial number format. One thing that I can say is that it's not a Giant, as suggested by another member.
Old 05-08-18, 07:15 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't recall seeing a Raleigh that used that serial number format. One thing that I can say is that it's not a Giant, as suggested by another member.
I see. Tmar is there any other way I can detect this?
Old 05-08-18, 08:05 AM
T-Mar

I see. Tmar is there any other way I can detect this?
None that I'm aware of.
Old 05-10-18, 07:43 AM
Sanz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None that I'm aware of.
tmar. Can u help me againt identification sn F3B015** is what bike?. with double bidon characteristic. Fuji? Sorry i dont jave photo