Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Schwinn Prologue - FINALLY!!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-10-18, 12:03 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts

And finally, yes, I am getting to creating this thread. A month or two late...

A Schwinn Prologue has been a bit of a Grail Bike to me for a few years now, for reasons obvious and not as obvious. As we know, there were two color schemes these came in. White/red fade, and metallic black/grey fade. Both look good, but the metallic black/grey fade paint scheme is simply captivating, and thus my favorite. Add in their rarity, sweet font/graphics, Tange Prestige tubing, and overall late-'80s Schwinn quality and details, and the want was bad for one of these.

So, as all good ideas begin, @Clang posts it in the eBay/Craigslist thread (thank you again, sir!). It's in LA. I'm in Seattle. It's full of non-road parts, but it's in near-pristine condition and for a monumentally low price. I immediately voice my excitement. Then I voice the same in the facilitators thread. @camelopardalis contacts me (and, again, an even bigger thank you to you, sir!!). We setup a plan and I contact the seller. Everything is coordinated, the bike is purchased, packed, and shipped to me...

...just in time for me to go out of town for the weekend, naturally. I would not be deterred from at least doing some wrenching, though. That is to say, if I could get to work in downtown Seattle with my car. That was a huge long affair, but dang it, that bike was coming home with me on that very crowded Friday evening. Two big boxes fit in the Camaro, and we were off.

The following is a visual account of the discovery, cleaning, and building of the bike. Oh, riding, too. It does that very well.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-18, 12:15 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Origins

This is the main picture from the ad. The spec list is as follows:

1987 Schwinn Prologue - black/grey - 63.5cm or 25" frame size
Shimano 105 Super SLR brake levers
Shimano 105 dual pivot calipers
Shimano 105 7-speed down tube shifters (all 105 is "champagne-era" stuff)
Shimano 105 hubs laced to Weinmann rims - 7-speed Hyperglide cassette
Shimano Deore XT triple crankset - 180mm - 52/42/30T rings - M730-era
Shimano Deore XT FD - M735-era
Shimano Deore XT RD - M735-era

It was advertised as a "Schwinn Hybrid Bicycle." Interesting! Certainly set up for comfort and not speed as it was originally intended. And as you can tell, it was in great shape. Unbelievable!

But time to get it home to me! This was the box it arrived in. It was packed by the local bike shop, by some guys that definitely knew what it was about. No foam/pool noodle job, but sufficient to get it to me unscathed.

And on to the stand!

A bit grubby here and there. SoCal climate good for preservation, even if the previous owners--who were actually from Seattle and took the bike with them--let it collect dust and dirt.

Old 05-10-18, 12:30 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

The Build

From the outset, this thing was getting ALL the speed parts. And that means Dura-Ace as I had 'spare' pieces and dang it, it's common enough to get for a good price, and it's just really good stuff. I'd planned to go black on the stem and seat post--it was going to look fierce.

The frame was fully disassembled, cleaned, and waxed. There is nary a scratch on it. Staggering.

Dura-Ace 7900 STI levers for the controls. The 7900 lever bodies are longer on top due to being elevated for cables that run out the back of them. This allows the STIs to be mounted like Campagnolo Ergos i.e. on classic drop bars that still allow full hand support/comfort. Black Profile Design bars and Modolo stem complete the cockpit.

Tire clearances with 26mm Kenda Kontenders.

Even the lock ring is black!

Friendly 7700-era Dura-Ace crankset. One of my usual suspects, along with 7800 FDs and RDs. The chainring combo was 53/42T to begin with because I had to source a shiny 39T, which I did once it was initially built.

Old mountain bike parts still on it, STIs "drooling" their cables. Saddle way too high and at an off angle. It's all a bit rough, but the point was to get an idea of the composition I had envisioned. All signs were positive.

Old 05-10-18, 12:35 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Tantalizingly Close!

Less STI "drooling" but the saddle height and angle are dialed, as is the stem/bars/shifters. Only later would I tilt the bars/shifters up a few degrees to seal the deal fit/comfort-wise. You're getting the idea though, right??? Looking good!!

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-18, 12:41 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Finished! - Interior Shots

Because all my work is done in the evening, indoor shots of just-completed builds continues. This time, it's in the hallway/stairwell of my apartment complex. My apartment unit's lighting layout is sub-optimal for this sort of thing, so I walk just outside my door.

Immense satisfaction, and time for a test ride!

It was a momentous occasion to ride it to work. Everything checked out well! Our in-office, er, bar lighting really complements the bike's colors, don't you think?

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-18, 01:13 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Long Ride on the "Introduction Tour" - Plus Exterior Shots

As with most builds, once the maiden voyage is complete, I'll take it to a local bike shop or two where I know most of the people there (and we all like to talk bikes). Hang out, talk shop, talk the bike build, see what cool used parts are in, all of it. So I had done that, with the intention of driving home, getting in my car, and driving south about 11 miles to pick up a bike part off Craigslist. This was a 70° or so day about a month ago, a total temperature spike amidst days in the 50s. Perfect weather. The Prologue was running really well. So well, in fact, that I thought, hey, I'll just ride down there. A car in traffic won't be faster (and going home means going up a super steep hill, then changing, then walking five blocks to my car) and I can get to the guy in the time I said.

The Prologue flies. Its geometry matches that of the Paramount of the same time, save for 5mm extra fork rake. 73° HT, 74° ST, 58.0cm top tube (for a 63.5cm CTT frame). Trail comes to a calculated 56mm versus the Paramount's 61/62cm.

It becomes immediately apparent that it is the "gap bridger" between the rest of my steel and my alu frame/carbon fork '16 Trek Emonda (super light weight) with regards to eagerness to accelerate, climb, rock back and forth, and request that I go up short steep hills for no reason. My Emonda does this almost constantly, which is a lot of fun. The Prologue has that spirit. The Emonda also sports 56mm of trail, so the comparison ends up being a bit more apples to apples than one would think. Sharp, easy, on-point steering for both of them.

At any rate, I check the maps app on my phone to get a couple of crucial turns memorized and set off from University District, across the canal to Lake Union, through downtown Seattle, dropping to the shoreline and the piers, on my way south to West Seattle. Once out of downtown, the roads and pathways open up. No more frequent stop lights! It is a revelation to just put in uninterrupted distance. City commuting with a zillion stops and starts is not something my knees like. I'm on the knee warmer train for anything below 70° now, and it is paying dividends.

I missed a couple of turns, one of which ended up greatly simplifying the final third of my route, at the expense of a 16% grade for two blocks or so. Pulled it in a 42-27T low, but man, those miles of running hard on just one street felt so good! Even a long 1/4 mile hill of decent grade was easily dispatched quickly--out of the saddle, in the big ring, pacing the power inputs. I arrived at my destination on time and talked with the guy a bit. And since I was in the neighborhood enough, I texted @Dfrost to see if he'd like to see it and ended up doing so. But, you know, not after a few more blocks of mega steep climbing...

The Prologue is an absolutely stellar bike. Properly constructed by Panasonic (to Schwinn's specs) in Japan. Thin wall Tange Prestige tubing, excellent Schwinn paint, lovely details. It's got performance pedigree, even if it isn't Italian in any way. The newer Dura-Ace pieces and light Vuelta wheels allow the true nature of the frame to be brought forth and witnessed. And what a frame! Sure, in the saddle, it will be very good like all good bikes. It descends well and handles turns well. But it's when you get on the gas is when it shows you what it's really about. It works with you when out of the saddle, not against. It helps that the rims are light and that the folding Kenda tires have supple sidewalls. Everything works together to work with the rider, but the frame is crucial in this whole system. Really, a lot of fun!

Paramount water bottle cage. IMO, this bike/frame is certainly worthy of the association. Heck, if this was a Paramount (or labeled one, rather), it would be more than fitting. It's that good.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-18, 01:24 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

More Photos For Your Listening and Dining Pleasure

Man, all this talk and I want to go ride it again! And I've run it around already!

7900 on the coms.

I really like these 7900 calipers. Super light as well, though plenty powerful. Matches perfectly with the frame's coloring.

I am host to all forlorn 7700 Octalink-era road cranksets. Classic looks, yet light and strong. Yes, logos and finish fades. The pearly look of them is done a disservice by the light angle. And as usual, we have a 7800 front derailleur ring the 'ring show.

Also, also as usual, a 7800 rear derailleur keeps things humming reliably in the rear. I think these are one of the best rear derailleurs ever made. It's why I have four(!) of them.

Prologo Scratch Pro saddle, a favorite, sits atop a zero offset Zipp seat post. I really like the two bolt setup for fine tuning saddle angle. Two bolt posts are fussy to setup, that's for certain, but the result is good. The bike, as of this writing, has a black Lemond post as this Zipp unit is now on my late model Cannondale CAAD10.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-18, 04:34 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
That hybrid conversion turned out really nice!

Enjoy!

Last edited by thinktubes; 05-10-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 04:47 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nice job in the build, I like the proper seat to stem drop as well. Allows the bike to be ridden as it was meant to be.
Old 05-10-18, 05:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I take it you like the bike.

You did a good job, and your enthusiasm shows through.

I agree with your choice of components, as Dura Ace 7700 - 9000 is just flick and click on those shifters, and the 7700 and 7800 RD's have little competition in the performance for price category. The 7900/9000 calipers will definitely stop you quick. I almost endo'd the first time I pulled hard on mine.

Just gave away 3 of those cranksets. They do scuff up rather quickly, and require the Octalink BB's, but removing the anodizing leaves a beautiful mirror finish, would you be so inclined. 3speedslow has them. I think I gave him a BB to go with them.

I had no idea the Trek Emonda was aluminum. Holy cow. (Just a side note to speak of the dark side).

Strictly for power transfer, imagine that with an external BB and crankset. Not that you can get much lighter than the DA 7700, but you can in the BB. A fine used FSA carbon crankset, on an external BB, and swap the rings over, maybe? The black would be fine with that paint scheme.

All in all, the first and only Prologue I've seen in that scheme. I've admired the ones of rccardr and wrk101, and others in red/white, and of course, now I want one.

Outstanding build, balanced out so nice, nothing but bike there; excellent write-up, and that is one of those bikes I would see on a group ride, pull up next to, and give you a kudo, for sure. Then I'd bug you for the next 2-3 miles and as we kind of bide our time behind other riders, the opening would come, and we'd be out on the left, closing the gap on the next bunch.

You've solved the riddle.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-10-18 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 06:31 AM
friendofpugs 

Bikes: Trek Farley, Giant Trance X, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 30 Posts
The bike looks fantastic. Hat tip to you, good sir.
Old 05-10-18, 02:57 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
Glad I could do my small part as an enabler. Also it was very cool of @camelopardalis to facilitate this for you. I'm not sure if I should give you more kudos for the build (very classy) or your ability to jam this tall frame into a Camaro (somehow).

It's awesome to see this beast get back on the road. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Old 05-10-18, 03:17 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Beautiful build. Please do check the stem for cracking, usually visible from the edges on the underside binder bolt hole. I have an example on the wall as part of a bike hanger. I retired it as soon as I found the cracks. The gunmetal 3ttt status stems are a nice alternative.
Old 05-10-18, 03:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by thinktubes
That hybrid conversion turned out really nice!

Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 05-10-18, 03:50 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Nice job in the build, I like the proper seat to stem drop as well. Allows the bike to be ridden as it was meant to be.
Thank you! The frameset was the entire point of the purchase as I was not interested in keeping the layout of things or even the same components on the bike, as nice as they are. It was all about the frame. And speed. And modern speed parts. I have sold some of the components originally on it to other people, so they live to ride on another bike another day!

Originally Posted by friendofpugs
The bike looks fantastic. Hat tip to you, good sir.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Clang
Glad I could do my small part as an enabler. Also it was very cool of @camelopardalis to facilitate this for you. I'm not sure if I should give you more kudos for the build (very classy) or your ability to jam this tall frame into a Camaro (somehow).

It's awesome to see this beast get back on the road. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Thank you! It was very cool, and I remain immensely appreciative. The bike had wheels off (in another box), the drive side crank arm off, and the stem/bars/levers out of the steerer, with everything still connected. That got it smaller, but a bulky box is still a bulky box. A fully assembled bike is easy to fit in my car. Fold the rear seats down, pop the front wheel off, and in the car it goes!

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Beautiful build. Please do check the stem for cracking, usually visible from the edges on the underside binder bolt hole. I have an example on the wall as part of a bike hanger. I retired it as soon as I found the cracks. The gunmetal 3ttt status stems are a nice alternative.
Thanks! I saw no cracking when I purchased the stem, but then, I never looked under the bolt. How often was cracking an issue? The Status stems do look cool, but are a bit complicated in design/form for this bike, IMO. I'd also want it in black to match the seat post. Gunmetal would look killer on a white bike though. Mmmm...build a bike around that stem?
Old 05-10-18, 04:06 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thanks! I saw no cracking when I purchased the stem, but then, I never looked under the bolt. How often was cracking an issue? The Status stems do look cool, but are a bit complicated in design/form for this bike, IMO. I'd also want it in black to match the seat post. Gunmetal would look killer on a white bike though. Mmmm...build a bike around that stem?
This should answer your questions, complete with highly technical drawings from the manufacturer.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-straight.html
Old 05-10-18, 04:46 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I take it you like the bike.

You did a good job, and your enthusiasm shows through.

I agree with your choice of components, as Dura Ace 7700 - 9000 is just flick and click on those shifters, and the 7700 and 7800 RD's have little competition in the performance for price category. The 7900/9000 calipers will definitely stop you quick. I almost endo'd the first time I pulled hard on mine.

Just gave away 3 of those cranksets. They do scuff up rather quickly, and require the Octalink BB's, but removing the anodizing leaves a beautiful mirror finish, would you be so inclined. 3speedslow has them. I think I gave him a BB to go with them.

I had no idea the Trek Emonda was aluminum. Holy cow. (Just a side note to speak of the dark side).

Strictly for power transfer, imagine that with an external BB and crankset. Not that you can get much lighter than the DA 7700, but you can in the BB. A fine used FSA carbon crankset, on an external BB, and swap the rings over, maybe? The black would be fine with that paint scheme.

All in all, the first and only Prologue I've seen in that scheme. I've admired the ones of rccardr and wrk101, and others in red/white, and of course, now I want one.

Outstanding build, balanced out so nice, nothing but bike there; excellent write-up, and that is one of those bikes I would see on a group ride, pull up next to, and give you a kudo, for sure. Then I'd bug you for the next 2-3 miles and as we kind of bide our time behind other riders, the opening would come, and we'd be out on the left, closing the gap on the next bunch.

You've solved the riddle.
Thank you, sir!

I would not mind a fully polished 7700 crankset. I'll need to research how to do that and see if it is relatively apartment unit safe.

The 7900 shifters need a 7900 FD, and only one. I can make it work with a 7800 half the time. The other half of the time it chucks the chain. Annoying!

Trek made their Emonda first in carbon fiber, in various grades (S, SL, SLR), and a year later the ALR was introduced. ALR 6 was decently high up the list--an Ultegra level bike. All, IIRC, use their "Alpha 300" aluminum, which is their best. Lower rank ALRs had CF/alu steerer forks. My fork is all carbon.

Man, your crankset and lightening musings have me thinking (again) about weight:

The Tange Prestige tube set has plenty of .7 .4 .7 wall thicknesses, which is properly thin for standard diameter tubing. Frame, fork, and headset weight 3,000g on the nose. It is easily my lightest traditionally lugged steel frame, beating my '85 Peloton at 3,060g or so. As the assembled bike sits, with single-sided SPD-mtn pedals (not the ones pictured), which save some weight, it as pictured is 20 lb 11oz. Tantalizingly close to breaking the 20 lb barrier! How could I do it? 312g to get there. Well.......

You brought up cranksets, and you are correct. Things don't get lighter crankset-wise as one goes newer (stiffer, yes), but BB-wise they lighten up significantly. I have a 7800 crankset on my very-complete Emonda. I have an FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue triple crankset that I have for sale, in good shape, that I can take the small ring off of. I'm running an Ultegra BB-6500 bottom bracket in the Prologue right now, but have a BB-7700 available (and yes I do like them!). Bike Works has a perfect 9000-era crankset in my length etc, for a proper price, too. Can I lighten things for free? To the weight specifications chart we go!

Crank - Wt. BB - Wt. Total Wt.
Current: 7700 - 613g BB-6500 - 230g 843g
7800-era 7800 - 656g HllwTch2 - 99g 755g
7900-era 7900 - 659g HllwTch2 - 99g 758g
9000-era 9000 - 636g HllwTch2 - 99g 735g
FSA FSA - 560g BB-7700 - 175g 735g

Looks like we can drop 100g or so straight away, and for no cost! As long as it matches the look of the bike, to me, I should be golden here. Another 200-ish grams are needed. The Kenda tires are apparently 329g or so. I can change them to Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's, which I have, and they are about 225g. So another 200g.

But what about making sure I definitely get across that 20.0 lb line? Stem conversion, not kidding. Quill converter, 1 1/8" stem, and compact 31.8mm clamp bars are consistently lighter than traditional quill and drop bars.

You've resurrected dark-sided thoughts!
Old 05-10-18, 05:06 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Finished bike is spectacular.
Old 05-10-18, 05:07 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
This should answer your questions, complete with highly technical drawings from the manufacturer.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-straight.html
It certainly will! I will take a look at it when I get home. It's an Xtenos stem, just for funsies. Haven't noticed creaking or weirdness, and though I am light on equipment, I am still 6'5" / 210-215 and can work a longer 110mm stem when out of the saddle (though I do well to just rock the whole bike and not just yank on the bars). Thank you again and I will keep you posted!
Old 05-10-18, 06:40 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts
Very nice ROS! I was looking for a Prologue myself but stumbled over an '85 Peloton in pristine condition, so that ended that quest. I only needed (okay wanted) one 80's PanaSchwinn in the collection, and who can argue with Columbus tubing? I'm quite happy - but... Wow, that paint scheme on the Prologue... So, so nice.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 05-10-18 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-10-18, 06:51 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
Looks awesome. Did you simply squeeze the 10sp hub into the dropouts? Do you have an opinion on cold-setting this frame?

Asking because I plan to squeeze a 130mm into my '89 Circuit at some point and it would be the nicest frame I've done that to, though not quite as nice as yours.
Old 05-10-18, 06:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Very nice bike and you did a good job building it up. I have a red and white 87 but so love your color even more. They are great riding bikes.
Old 05-10-18, 07:14 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
Great build! Love your speed ma-sheen!!
Old 05-10-18, 07:58 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Love that black grey combo in the paint...oh the rest of the bike is pretty nice too , Chapeau
Old 05-10-18, 07:59 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by belacqua
Looks awesome. Did you simply squeeze the 10sp hub into the dropouts? Do you have an opinion on cold-setting this frame?

Asking because I plan to squeeze a 130mm into my '89 Circuit at some point and it would be the nicest frame I've done that to, though not quite as nice as yours.
IIRC, Tange Prestige might be heat treated tubing, like Reynolds 753, which means it will he very, resistant to cold setting......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.