Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Jeunet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 09:16 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Jeunet?

A neighbor gave me this bike and said it’s a Jeunet. Looks and feels like gas pipe tubing. Looks French but I haven’t checked the threading. Seems to have a DIY paint job and no decals.
Can anyone positively ID? Thanks.

Old 04-05-22, 09:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Most of the examples I have seen were in a version of metallic or tint over silver- think Gitane but red or middle blue.

might be three tubes Reynolds.
seat post diameter may give a hint.
Old 04-05-22, 09:48 AM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
May we please see a drive side photograph of the complete frame and fork?

The Simplex rear dropouts suggest a higher level frame.

I do not recognize the fork crown.

This is definitely a nicer model than the base level 1970s Jeunet that we sold as a competitor to the Peugeot UO8.
Old 04-05-22, 10:51 AM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by cyclophilia
May we please see a drive side photograph of the complete frame and fork?

The Simplex rear dropouts suggest a higher level frame.

I do not recognize the fork crown.

This is definitely a nicer model than the base level 1970s Jeunet that we sold as a competitor to the Peugeot UO8.
Will post more later on; also seatpost dimension.

Based on a couple old threads, I am currently thinking it's most likely a model 620.
Old 04-06-22, 05:00 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I think a Jeunet Franche Comte 620 is very likely, here are pics I noted for comparison:
https://www.flickriver.com/photos/we...7623720497524/
Old 04-06-22, 08:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Jeunet main
Old 04-07-22, 08:26 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Jeunet was a brand (located in the Franche Comté region) that had a fairly complete line. The higher-end ones that I've seen, with Reynolds tubeset, have a different, less crude, seat stay cap like a folded leaf:

The higher-quality ones also seem to have long-point plain lugs, or else Nervex Professional fancy lugs, and sharper-edged fork crown. The lugs and crown on that bike appear to be a cheaper type. My guess is seamed unbutted tubeset. But weigh the frame and fork bare; if under 3.2 kg (even in that large size) then probably a higher-end one. I have a Jeunet frame in about that size that's under 3 kg.
Old 04-07-22, 10:05 AM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Jeunet was a brand (located in the Franche Comté region) that had a fairly complete line. The higher-end ones that I've seen, with Reynolds tubeset, have a different, less crude, seat stay cap like a folded leaf:

The higher-quality ones also seem to have long-point plain lugs, or else Nervex Professional fancy lugs, and sharper-edged fork crown. The lugs and crown on that bike appear to be a cheaper type. My guess is seamed unbutted tubeset. But weigh the frame and fork bare; if under 3.2 kg (even in that large size) then probably a higher-end one. I have a Jeunet frame in about that size that's under 3 kg.
At this point I am fairly comfortable saying 620. The blunt top of the seat lug and short lug points indicate a lesser model; also from my reading, it seems the presence of cable guides under the top tube confirm the same. I have not stripped the bike or weighed the frame, but it's pretty obvious from lifting it that it's not a featherweight - even allowing for the fact that it's a much larger frame than I ride.
Old 04-07-22, 10:54 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Looks like the one I bought a while back for the saddle. Very heavy when you've been moving 531 bikes around and you pull this one down from a hook. Just about threw my back out.