Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is $400 still a good price for a Tikit?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 08:26 AM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't kept up with folders. I have a chance to buy an 8 speed Tikit with the basic sram for $400. It comes with the rear rack and the bag. Sorry but I don't have any pictures. It is blue and black and I am told it has a single cable for folding if that helps to identify the year. I assume Bike Friday will be able to tell me if the recalls have been done on the bike based on the serial number.

Probably like many of us I have too many bikes but I am looking for a subway friendly folder that rides like a diamond frame bike. I get a lot of flack when I bring a Raleigh Twenty onto the subway

I believe it a large based on the description but I'll know this afternoon. I know how important fit is; I am 5' 10" so I am at the high end of medium and low end of large so I am hoping it will work for me. I have ridden a friend's Woirld Tourist but it is too small to judge it properly. The top tube is only 19".
Old 07-26-18, 08:29 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Yes, that sounds like a very fair price for a Tikit.
Old 07-26-18, 08:46 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Jump on it!
Old 07-26-18, 09:01 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
I would buy, regardless the state.
Old 07-26-18, 09:07 AM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, a good price for a nice design that they don’t make anymore.
Old 07-26-18, 09:29 AM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great, thanks guys. I'll post a picture when I get it.
Old 07-26-18, 12:47 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would guess $400 is a good price for any hand made in the US bike. I sound like a commercial so for the record I have never owned a BF or really have a desire to own one...yet, but I've been on this forum long enough to trust they are reliable good bikes. I've never actually heard of much bad about them which is rare for any product.
Old 07-26-18, 01:17 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ttakata73
I would guess $400 is a good price for any hand made in the US bike. I sound like a commercial so for the record I have never owned a BF or really have a desire to own one...yet, but I've been on this forum long enough to trust they are reliable good bikes. I've never actually heard of much bad about them which is rare for any product.
I have no need for a tikit since I just got a Brompton, but I'd snap one up at $400 in a hot second. That Hyperfold trick looks slick!
Old 07-27-18, 09:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Same bike near me going for $850 - OP should hand over the $$$$ right now!
Old 07-27-18, 01:29 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
If you go to look at it, ask the owner if the stem recall fix was performed. If the owner doesn't know, it's possible that Bike Friday / Green Gear could see if the fix was performed off the serial number if you contact them with it. SN is on the driveside dropout for pre-'99, under the BB shell for after.
Old 07-29-18, 07:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
...I am looking for a subway friendly folder that rides like a diamond frame bike.
The tikit actually doesn't fold that small as modern folding bikes go, but it will be smaller than your old Raleigh 20. Note on handling: the tikit easily has the most flexible handlepost of any bike I've ever ridden.

I would guess $400 is a good price for any hand made in the US bike.
Covfefe. Is it pristine or a beater? Any corrosion? What shape is the paint in? What shape is the frame in? Forks straight? Alignment/tracking? Does it still fold smoothly? Drivetrain worn? Gear range? Parts replaced from factory spec (& these bikes were built with a wide variety of components to begin with)? Upgrades or decontented? Brakes stop strong & modulate smoothly? Spokes tight, rims true; tires still useful? $400 might be a huge bargain, or the bike might need another $800~1000 rehabilitation service/parts to be useable.

Make sure it has the single cable Hyperfold, either from the factory (2009 & later) or retrofitted.

If you go to look at it, ask the owner if the stem recall fix was performed.
If it's a 2008 or earlier, also make sure the Aardvark recall was performed and the Jackleg was added. Both the stem and Aardvark issues caused riders to be injured in failure related crashes.

If the owner doesn't know, it's possible that Bike Friday / Green Gear could see if the fix was performed off the serial number if you contact them with it. SN is on the driveside dropout for pre-'99, under the BB shell for after.
If it has a serial number. Inexplicably, bikefriday built and sold some tikits without serial numbers. One telltale that the stem recall was done: look for a headbadge. The replacement stems bikefriday sent out don't have headbadges.

Last edited by tcs; 07-29-18 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 01:00 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
I have bought a used Tikit with more than 1500 USD, so 400 USD is definitly a good price for a Tikit, in any condition and any place.
Old 08-02-18, 08:23 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
I have bought a used Tikit with more than 1500 USD, so 400 USD is definitly a good price for a Tikit, in any condition and any place.
I totally agree!
Old 08-02-18, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Probably sold to someone else, by now...