Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unfortunate C&V cyclist death in NYC

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-02-21, 11:06 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...yhi-story.html

I love urban cycling here in NYC either C&V or modern but instances like this remind us the need to be ever aware of our surroundings. RIP sir.
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 07-02-21, 11:21 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Aware of our surroundings? Sorry but being struck by a vehicle driver while riding on the road has nothing to do with being aware of your surroundings. Nothing this unfortunate cyclist could have done to avoid this.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 07-02-21, 11:30 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Yes, I get that but having your head on a swivel is necessary when cycling on urban roads. No fault was assigned to this poor gentleman.
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 07-02-21, 11:46 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
Yes, I get that
If you agree that this aspect of cycling personal responsibility isn't relevant in this case, why did you spend more than half of your OP talking about how the death reminds us of its importance?

The way your post is written implies that a lack of awareness by the cyclist was a substantial contributor to the crash.

Originally Posted by greg3rd48
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...yhi-story.html

I love urban cycling here in NYC either C&V or modern but instances like this remind us the need to be ever aware of our surroundings. RIP sir.
Old 07-02-21, 11:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
there must be a more accurate article. "Williamson was the first cyclist to be killed on Central Park West since August 2018" but he wasn't on Central Park West, was he? he was on the transverse road? "the truck took a right from Central Park West onto the 86th St. Transverse just before 6 p.m. before plowing into him," I think there are 2 of those? they are lethal. last year, before the lock down, a pediatrician, cycling one of the transverse roads was killed, not far from the hospital he worked at

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/12/...-central-park/

after that cyclist death, I visited my brother, last February, after his heart surgery & wound up driving thru the park on the same road I think. not bike friendly for sure

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-02-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 11:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you agree that this aspect of cycling personal responsibility isn't relevant in this case, why did you spend more than half of your OP talking about how the death reminds us of its importance?

The way your post is written implies that a lack of awareness by the cyclist was a substantial contributor to the crash.
That's not how I read it. To say that this person's death is a reminder to all of us to be careful does not necessarily imply that the rider's lack of attention caused the accident. It's just that, a reminder.

I don't think the OP is trying to say something critical of the C&V rider who was killed.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-02-21 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 12:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Aware of our surroundings? Sorry but being struck by a vehicle driver while riding on the road has nothing to do with being aware of your surroundings. Nothing this unfortunate cyclist could have done to avoid this.
The description of what happened is a bit terse.

Photo from article above:

The accident appears to have happened on this corner of Central Park West and 86th St. Transverse.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7852...7i16384!8i8192

It isn't clear what the cyclist was doing. But, with the bike in the median just past the crosswalk, I'm thinking the cyclist may have been in the crosswalk.

There is actually a bike lane to the left side of the turn lane on Central Park West which might have been safer than the crosswalk, especially if riding at speed.

As a pedestrian (and also cyclist), I like to look over my shoulder to see if any vehicles are turning before entering a crosswalk.
Old 07-02-21, 12:39 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Cars do not care about cyclists on the road. I consider myself extremely diligent when riding, and have still been hit twice. Once by an individual who was on the phone and veered into the bike lane. The other incident I made direct eye contact with the driver and was still hit. The driver proclaimed my sweaty biker face was distracting and couldn’t manage to pull their foot off the gas…

Biking is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, and it’s not due to the riders.

My condolences to the family of the rider. May they Rest In Peace.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 07-02-21, 01:03 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
there must be a more accurate article. "Williamson was the first cyclist to be killed on Central Park West since August 2018" but he wasn't on Central Park West, was he? he was on the transverse road? "the truck took a right from Central Park West onto the 86th St. Transverse just before 6 p.m. before plowing into him,"
It's almost certain that Williamson was not on the transverse road, but simply crossing 86th St on the bike path. Look at this photo from the scene, and a street view from G***** maps:

You can see the end of the island separating 86th St Transverse on both photos. Bike was hit from the left side, meaning right-turning truck plowed into him in the bike lane, which is right at the curb shown in second photo (though not marked because of all the other crosswalk stuff at the intersection. Bike had right-of-way, and driver clearly did not. Yes, we should all look when crossing; but USPS truck drivers in this city are perhaps more inattentive to other traffic than they should be, worse than typical truck drivers in my personal experience. This was, so far as I can see, not an "accident" but a lack of sufficient care on the part of the driver.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 07-02-21, 03:35 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Cars do not care about cyclists on the road. I consider myself extremely diligent when riding, and have still been hit twice. Once by an individual who was on the phone and veered into the bike lane. The other incident I made direct eye contact with the driver and was still hit. The driver proclaimed my sweaty biker face was distracting and couldn’t manage to pull their foot off the gas…

Biking is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, and it’s not due to the riders.

My condolences to the family of the rider. May they Rest In Peace.
Excellent points. How do you avoid cars pulling out in front of you? As I was biking on the right side of the lane, I made eye contact with a driver of a minivan at the exit of a parking lot - she looked right at me and then pulled in front of me. Driving in traffic is really dangerous. All it takes is one bad move. With permanently distracted drives, it's only gotten worse.
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 07-02-21, 03:47 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 1,393 Posts
And this isn't in A&S because ....
Old 07-02-21, 03:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
It's almost certain that Williamson was not on the transverse road, but simply crossing 86th St on the bike path. Look at this photo from the scene, and a street view from G***** maps:

You can see the end of the island separating 86th St Transverse on both photos. Bike was hit from the left side, meaning right-turning truck plowed into him in the bike lane, which is right at the curb shown in second photo (though not marked because of all the other crosswalk stuff at the intersection. Bike had right-of-way, and driver clearly did not. Yes, we should all look when crossing; but USPS truck drivers in this city are perhaps more inattentive to other traffic than they should be, worse than typical truck drivers in my personal experience. This was, so far as I can see, not an "accident" but a lack of sufficient care on the part of the driver.
If you pan around on Google Maps on Central Park West, you will note that the bike lane is to the left of the turn lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7851...7i16384!8i8192

So, if the cyclist was in the bike lane, and the mail truck was in the turn lane, there should not have been a collision.

It is odd that street marking and lanes are poorly marked through the intersection.

It is more likely that the cyclist was either riding or walking in the crosswalk (either with traffic, or against traffic).

Witness reports and perhaps typical commuting patterns for the rider would help clarify.

A crosswalk can give a false sense of security, especially for a fast moving cyclist who MUST be aware of traffic around him.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-02-21, 05:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
That's the double whammy to get hit on your vintage ride by a postal service truck.

I'll probably get hit by a guy in a sweet ride with a BÖC sticker on his back bumper.
Old 07-02-21, 06:05 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you pan around on Google Maps on Central Park West, you will note that the bike lane is to the left of the turn lane.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7851...7i16384!8i8192
Granted; I missed that. But the bike was hit on the left side, and the truck is right next to the island in the photo, so either the truck forgot to get into the turn lane, and ended up turning onto the cyclist from the through lane (on the left side of the bike lane) or the cyclist was in the turn lane. Who could tell, without seeing the accident report? Seems to me it's unlikely that the cyclist was going down the bike lane the wrong direction, because he was hit on his left side, though lord knows we see enough bike-salmoning here, and it's gotten completely out of control during the pandemic.

Here's another story by a bike advocacy group, with a bit more detail in the description at the bottom of the page:
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/06/...-side-cyclist/
It claims that both truck and cyclist were heading north, suggests encroachment by the truck onto the bike lane to make the turn, and decries the problems with USPS drivers hitting pedestrians and cyclists.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 07-02-21 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 06:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Granted; I missed that. But the bike was hit on the left side, and the truck is right next to the island in the photo
I hadn't looked at the bike carefully.
It does appear to have a curvature from the left. Although the top tube appears to have a couple of compound dents from both sides. Hmmm, that is odd. It looks like the bars turned clockwise, were twisted down, bent into a tighter curl, and may have impacted the frame from the back side. It looks like a nasty hard hit.

One conclusion is that trucks are BAD, even mid-sized trucks. Keep one's distance whenever possible.

If this truck is on a routine delivery route, then it should have a specified permitted route. Are there alternative routes not buzzing Central Park?
Old 07-02-21, 06:43 PM
CliffordK

A little additional general information here.

The USPS has an abysmal track record for crashes, which are difficult to track because postal service trucks do not carry license plates. After the McLean killing, a Streetsblog investigation revealed that USPS drivers are so reckless that the agency paid more than $23 million in claims by New Yorkers injured or killed in crashes caused by mail company.

From 2013 to 2019, the USPS quietly settled 661 motor vehicular injury suits by New Yorkers, roughly 100 per year, with an average value of $35,000. Over the same period, the postal service has paid out roughly $353 million to settle 15,580 claims nationwide, more than 2,300 crashes per year, according to data obtained by Streetsblog in a Freedom of Information request. Details of the cases themselves were not provided.
Of course they have a lot of vehicles doing a lot of deliveries.
Old 07-02-21, 11:45 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 172 Posts
Update: The deceased man’s name is Jeffrey Williamson. According to the latest police report, he was “traveling northbound on Central Park West when he was struck by a United States Postal Service truck that was traveling northbound on Central Park West and attempting to make a right turn to eastbound West 86 Street….No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing by the NYPD Collision Investigation Squad.”

https://www.westsiderag.com/2021/06/...tral-park-west

Old 07-03-21, 11:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Ya know, yesterday I was riding my Masi to the auto parts store, there was a 2003 Honda accord just driving poorly, I decided to stop and let her get well ahead, then due to traffic she ended up along side me again, I stopped again and sure enough she almost took out another cyclist (actually an adult trike) while making a slo-mo no turn signal no aware right hand turn.

Be careful out there.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-05-21, 09:46 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Update: The deceased man’s name is Jeffrey Williamson. According to the latest police report, he was “traveling northbound on Central Park West when he was struck by a United States Postal Service truck that was traveling northbound on Central Park West and attempting to make a right turn to eastbound West 86 Street….No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing by the NYPD Collision Investigation Squad.”

https://www.westsiderag.com/2021/06/...tral-park-west

Sounds like a classic right hook vintagecyclist ...damn.
Old 07-05-21, 10:36 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Struck by a "truck." No, struck by the driver of that truck, the truck didn't drive itself. "Attempting to make a right turn" - as if looking for riders before making the right turn qualifies as an "oopsie." Classic windshield bias journalism.

I'll bet anything the NYPD, per their endless track record, will let the driver off without a slap on the wrist, and will blame it entirely on the rider.

Let's not forget the very first CitiBike death, where the NYPD invented their own victim blaming story to hang fault on the rider - only for video footage to show that the rider had been killed because the driver of a bus passed when it wasn't safe and with zero clearance, squishing the rider into a parked car.

Also, I'm not sure if this was a right turn on red scenario, but - nevertheless - let's take this opportunity to remember that ROTRs are a uniquely dangerous (for both people on bicycles and people walking) excuse of traffic engineering invented ONLY for the purpose of saving gas during the 1970's fuel crisis, at the expense of everyone else's safety. It was not even adequate at saving fuel.

and

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-turns-on-red/

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-06-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 06:18 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's original post even with the LOL????
Ben
It has to do with what will eventually and invariably get this post locked. Should have been in A&S from the start.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 08:25 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
It has to do with what will eventually and invariably get this post locked. Should have been in A&S from the start.

-Kurt
Kurt,
I agree whole heartedly, but always ask first...this sub is not the place for that type of "humor".
Best, Ben
aland2

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-06-21, 08:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Kurt,
I agree whole heartedly, but always ask first...this sub is not the place for that type of "humor".
Believe me, I didn't take aland2's comment as humor. I'm not laughing at it.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 08:52 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Interestingly - except for a few marked exceptions - there is no Right on Red within NYC city limits, mainly due to the prevalence of pedestrian traffic.

this junction has been laid out as best it can to mitigate the dangers, with the bike lane set out to allow right-turn traffic to focus on the pedestrian crossing... it seems to work well enough the few times I have used it.

I guess it remains to be seen where & how this gent was passing through it when he was hit. Curious to find out if he was indeed in the bike lane, and the USPS driver made a hard, illegal right from the center "straight ahead" lane

Originally Posted by cudak888
Struck by a "truck." No, struck by the driver of that truck. "Attempting to make a right turn" - as if looking for riders before making the right turn qualifies as an "oopsie."

I'll bet anything the NYPD, per their endless track record, will let the driver off without a slap on the wrist, and will blame it entirely on the rider.

Let's not forget the very first CitiBike death, where the NYPD invented their own victim blaming story to hang fault on the rider - only for video footage to show that the rider had been killed because the driver of a bus passed when it wasn't safe and with zero clearance, squishing the rider into a parked car.

Also, I'm not sure if this was a right turn on red scenario, but - nevertheless - let's take this opportunity to remember that ROTRs are a uniquely dangerous (for both people on bicycles and people walking) excuse of traffic engineering invented ONLY for the purpose of saving gas during the 1970's fuel crisis, at the expense of everyone else's safety. It was not even adequate at saving fuel.

https://twitter.com/iWalkSafe/status...84677897244672

and

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-turns-on-red/

-Kurt

Last edited by niliraga; 07-06-21 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-06-21, 08:55 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
I am constantly surprised at what people will argue over. This thread belongs in the "I'm an expert but I wasn't really there" category!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.