Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

There’s a New 750-Mile Bicycle Route in New York (NYT)

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

There’s a New 750-Mile Bicycle Route in New York (NYT)

Old 11-14-21, 02:22 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I love to hear them as long as they move on and don't keep me awake. During my two-week tour in September I heard owls every night except two. Coyotes two nights.
Sounds like a great trip! Aaaah, next year, hope springs eternal......
Old 03-29-22, 05:58 PM
Scott6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Empire State Trail Trip Planning

I did the Canal Trail from Albany to Buffalo last summer and this summer I am planning a longer trip. The plan is to start on the Hudson Valley Trail in NYC and ride North all the way to the the Canadian Boarder. Then turn left and ride Route 11 all the way to Syracuse and then turn right and do the rest of the Canal Trail to Buffalo. This looks like about two weeks of riding. So my question is for anyone who has done the Champlain Valley Trail and has experience riding Route 11 through Potsdam, Canton, Watertown, and on to Syracuse. Any route suggestions? Google maps looks like there is a decent shoulder, but pretty rural.
Old 08-01-22, 08:42 AM
monsieuroctagon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode the trail from Brewster to Manhattan last month. Parts of the trail are quite nice, the "dismount to cross" signs everywhere are total BS though.
Old 08-02-22, 07:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by monsieuroctagon
I rode the trail from Brewster to Manhattan last month. Parts of the trail are quite nice, the "dismount to cross" signs everywhere are total BS though.
Nice ride!
What I found amazing about all those crossings is how incredibly polite the drivers were. Coming from possibly less polite Queens I wasn't prepared for every driver to stop and wave me across. I was in a wonderful alternate reality when a roll-off truck chugged to a stop and waved me through when crossing of one of the bigger roads.
Old 08-02-22, 08:19 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I've ridden the N/S County trail from Brewster many times and the traffic always stops for the bikes. The locals all know the trail is there. It is a great ride, and the really nice part is that after a slight uphill leaving Brewster it is downhill the entire way, ever so slightly, and you feel like Superman while you ride it.

Last edited by zacster; 08-02-22 at 09:44 AM.