Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.1

Old 01-14-22, 11:50 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Roadies:
Roadies.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-14-22, 11:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9528 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Mountain goats.
Old 01-14-22, 11:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11890 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,414 Posts
It pains me deeply to reveal this, but I agree with . . . . . . . gasp . . . . . . . Vol, on the gravel issue. Dirt (gravel) roads just aren't proper, in fact they're crude. What proper, sophisticated roadie wants to get muddy while cycling?

As usual, I blame Big Bicycle.

And you consumer guys.

Sad.
Old 01-14-22, 11:58 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
"The lowest-rated – unhappiest – state was Mississippi, at 2.06. It was followed by Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama in ascending order, as Southern states dominated the bottom of the list."

Oh boy, what a grand P&R topic that would make.
You put much stock in happiness surveys?
Old 01-14-22, 11:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

It pains me deeply to reveal this, but I agree with . . . . . . . gasp . . . . . . . Vol, on the gravel issue. Dirt (gravel) roads just aren't proper, in fact they're crude. What proper, sophisticated roadie wants to get muddy while cycling?

And you consumer guys.

Sad.
You're asking us?
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-14-22, 11:59 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I use them on all of our bikes. I stick with the Shimano QLs on the Shimano chains on my Trek, and KMC links on the others. I've never had a problem with one failing or coming apart. But, then again, I'm not cranking out massive watts all day long.

I know nothing about Campy stuff.
I've never had a problem pressing pins on a Shimano chain and still have a bunch of extra pins, the ones that come with a new chain. The old chains could be opened and reconnected easily with a simple chain tool.
I did connect a Campagnolo chain with a non-Campagnolo tool and it came apart while riding after a couple thousand miles. Luckily, I didn't fall and nothing was damaged.

I'll look into KMC and see if they have any info.
Old 01-14-22, 11:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.
The chains that I just replaced had about 5k miles on each, both with QuickLinks that were along for the entire ride, and removed/replaced for waxing a couple dozen times. I may not be as big as big john, but I'm not dainty on the pedals, either.
Old 01-14-22, 12:01 PM
big john

Mountain goats.
That's me, on 23s, on a stiff CAAD5. Fun day.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-14-22, 12:02 PM
big john

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The chains that I just replaced had about 5k miles on each, both with QuickLinks that were along for the entire ride, and removed/replaced for waxing a couple dozen times. I may not be as big as big john, but I'm not dainty on the pedals, either.
What brand of links? Some of them say single use only, what's up with that? I have one to carry on the mtb and it doesn't say that on the package. It's a SRAM.
Old 01-14-22, 12:06 PM
big john

And you consumer guys.

Sad.
"Muddy" brings a whole different topic to the conversation.
Old 01-14-22, 12:07 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10062 Post(s)
Liked 5,045 Times in 2,154 Posts
So I’ve heard about the bike supply shortage, car supply shortage, housing shortage, but no one is talking about the candy shortage. I can’t find gobstoppers anywhere.
Old 01-14-22, 12:12 PM
WhyFi

What brand of links? Some of them say single use only, what's up with that? I have one to carry on the mtb and it doesn't say that on the package. It's a SRAM.
Shimano, which are single use; their definition of single use is pairing it for the lifetime of one chain. They just don't want you wearing out one chain with it and then moving it to another chain.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-14-22, 12:13 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I can’t find gobstoppers anywhere.
So much for being everlasting.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-14-22, 12:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts

And you consumer guys.

Sad.
Improper roadies?
Old 01-14-22, 12:24 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Good morning all.
I have nothing substantive to add.
Buenos dνas amigos
NO tengo nada sustantivo aρadir
ΏCuαntas mandarinas te has comido hoy?
Old 01-14-22, 12:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.
The ONLY time a quick link failed me was when I reused the link from a worn out chain on a new one, because some sneaky bastard had stolen the quick link out of that package. It failed while I was going about 35 mph, standing on the pedals to keep momentum up as I climbed out the other side of a dip. I didn't crash, and I went back and recovered the chain, but I had to make The Call Of Shame, which was no big deal because I was 2 miles from home anyway. BTW, I only use KMC chains on anything over 8 speeds, so I don't have the pin issues.

I don't know about using 10 speed rings on 11 speeds, but I do use an 11 speed crank and rings on a 10 speed setup with no issues. Last I knew, Campy's front Ergo is just a ratchet, not indexed at all, so it's not like the spacing is all that important.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-22, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Eric F
Improper roadies?
Also worth noting that paving of most roads is a newer phenomenon than bicycling. Those guys who rode the TdF < 100 years ago - were they NOT roadies?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-22, 12:28 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Look more like pathies.
Most of that particular ride was on Big Asphalt Approved™ surfaces. There was a short stretch that was abandoned pavement -- gnarly.
Old 01-14-22, 12:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also worth noting that paving of most roads is a newer phenomenon than bicycling. Those guys who rode the TdF < 100 years ago - were they NOT roadies?
Just a guess, but the "roadie" label is probably a more recent development.
Old 01-14-22, 12:31 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by genejockey
They didn't have a choice.
Old 01-14-22, 12:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"The lowest-rated – unhappiest – state was Mississippi, at 2.06. It was followed by Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama in ascending order, as Southern states dominated the bottom of the list."

Oh boy, what a grand P&R topic that would make.
Yeah. I was going to comment on that, but after last nights kerfuffle, I thought better of it.

Old 01-14-22, 12:33 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts

KMC and Sram are factory quicklink. I've had good luck with quicklinks on Shimano. Don't have direct experience with Campy though.

I'm sure if you don't use a Campagnolo pin, installed with a Genuine Campagnolo tool, Tulio will reach out from the grave and visit some evil upon you. So, be careful.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-14-22, 12:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You put much stock in happiness surveys?
Only when they confirm my prejudices.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-22, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Just a guess, but the "roadie" label is probably a more recent development.
Well, nobody's using the term "gravelie" yet. Maybe because it would make people think you had a voice like Richard Boone.

Old 01-14-22, 12:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Shimano says single use only. But, all my research suggests that it's okay to use them more than once as long as they are tight and not sloppy/loose fitting. SRAM and KMC don't say anything about it on their packaging, but I would go by the same standard - if they feel loose when in place it is probably time for a new one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.