Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1UP racks

Old 03-07-22, 06:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
1UP racks

Are they worth the money? They look legit as heck. I am needing to upgrade my carrier to a 3 bike set up and really want a try a tray or wheel mount type. I am done with my hanger, its a PIA for three bikes!

So looking at tray racks and man they are spendy WOW. But when I look at 1UP they actually look like they are worth their price. I also was looking at the Rocky Mounts version too, that looks like a more economical version.
Old 03-07-22, 06:55 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
What is your definition of worth it? I have the kuat sherpa 2.0 and it works perfect. Is the 1UP worth more than sherpa? Maybe if you value the looks and maybe the build quality. I don't know if they are built better but in my eyes they look better. ha-ha

Do you buy dura ace or 105?
Old 03-07-22, 06:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
What is your definition of worth it? I have the kuat sherpa 2.0 and it works perfect. Is the 1UP worth more than sherpa? Maybe if you value the looks and maybe the build quality. I don't know if they are built better but in my eyes they look better. ha-ha

Do you buy dura ace or 105?
I get your point.....I buy 105 and a little ultegra if I can get a deal

I will check out the sherpa. I didn't look at Kuat at all....
Old 03-07-22, 07:00 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I get your point.....I buy 105 and a little ultegra if I can get a deal

I will check out the sherpa. I didn't look at Kuat at all....

You are going to keep it for a LONG LONG time. I would pay a little more and get something you don't mind on the back your car. It's going to be there 365/24/7

I think the 1UP looks better also. Almost too good. Like break into my car I am rich SOB.
Old 03-07-22, 08:36 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Whether something is worth its asking price is entirely subjective. 1UP makes a top-of-the-line bike rack, but $700 was more than I could justify spending. Like sean.hwy, I also opted for a Kuat Sherpa, and have no regrets.
Old 03-07-22, 09:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

So the Sherpa for more than 2 bikes is just as much as 1up 3 bike. I need a three bike. To get anything of decent quality this will be a spendy venture. EEK

i just had no idea that these went for 500+++++
Old 03-07-22, 10:05 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
So the Sherpa for more than 2 bikes is just as much as 1up 3 bike.
The Sherpa carries two bikes, max.

I need a three bike.
The Kuat Transfer is $400, while the Transfer v2 is $549. Both carry three bikes and are decent quality.

i just had no idea that these went for 500+++++
Yeah, hitch racks with wheel trays have gotten kind of nuts.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-07-22, 10:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have a 1UP and find it worth it. I bought the single and second rack add on as I typically am only transporting a single bike, so when I need the second, its only 1 min to put it on. I like the reduced weight, the smaller foot print when folded up, the ease of mounting the bikes, along with the east of positioning the bike where they do not knock into each other. I have owned Yakima and Thule racks and they have been great, but I found the 1UP just a better solution for my needs. I also like that if something were to happen to my rack, I can easily buy a replacement part, but with the one up, there really are not that many parts for it which is nice.

Do you always need to haul 3 bikes? If not, they 1Up might be the way to go.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-07-22 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-07-22, 11:23 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
1Up is definitely worth it unless you’re running fenders, then, not so much. I’ve never used an easier, more secure rack, and the build quality is outstanding. It might create an image of “I’ve got money,” but only to people who already know bike racks. For me it was one of those “buy quality and you only cry once” type of purchases. Highly recommended.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-07-22, 11:31 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I love mine but I bought a single and then a year or so later bought the add on so I didn't spend the $$$$ all at once. Made it a lot easier to swallow.
Likes For Canker:
Old 03-08-22, 01:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
A family member has a One Up and it's a wonderful unit. I do think it's probably worth it to those who like premium grade construction and functionality and can afford it. He's just starting out and can afford it and I believe it will last him a lifetime.

I've been looking at them and will probably get the Yakima version. Only reason: I have a Yakima Rocket box and two types of Yakima roof top carriers so a bunch of Yakima keyed-alike locks, so considering they are all probably good quality and high functioning, keeping the key management minimized sways me. I don't necessarily think that the Yakima is any better - and maybe worse in some factors - to the Thule, One Up, Saris, etc. But I want to keep a single key system! Plus I like the way it attaches to the hitch receiver and can be locked in as well as the little cables to lock the bikes, all keyed alike (I'm not naive to think the cables are anything but a mild deterrent) Right now I have a Yakima (don't know the model) that has trays, but the bikes are held in place by a bar that holds the top tube instead of the tires. We got that one many years ago because we had a bike with fenders. This type is very risky for scratching the top tube and I'm tired of having to futz around with the top tube to avoid damage. After 10+ years I'm tired of it.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-08-22 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-08-22, 04:26 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
We use the Saris with the holders that fit on the tires and a strap over the wheel. With our fender bikes, we place one holder on the wheel tight. And the other on the plastic fender so it is snug. Since the fender bikes are for touring, we have traveled long distances to our starting point. No problem over many years.

one lesson learned. Prior to getting the Saris, I purchased the Kuat. It ended up not fitting my Malibu. Kuat accepted the return but I paid shipping. A costly lesson.
Likes For debade:
Old 03-08-22, 06:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Compared to the Kuats and Thules I was looking at and handling(last year), the 1UP was actually quite a bit less expensive and a better build quality. The 1UP hitch connection is more secure as it uses a somewhat standard locking hitch pin(included). Thule uses a binding-friction type connection. The racks have been stolen by attaching a tow strap to the rack and another car yanks it out of the hitch(happened to at least one BF member I know of). Kuat (some models?) uses a pin too I think.

While I agree that bike carriers in general are a bit nuts with cost, in the end it's was a no-brainer decision for me. The 1UP isn't really a direct comparison to the other racks..totally different materials-construction approach. It's made in a machine shop out of aluminum..and that's about it. Compared to other options, and given what you actually get, the 1UP isn't a bad deal. At times, 1UP will have a waiting list as keeping up with demand (apparently) has been a challenge.

If it matters, the 1UP is shipped fully assembled and folded up into a small-ish box. Unfolding it and mounting it is about a 5 minute job. It also folds back up into a small footprint for off-season storage.

Some carriers cost less, some cost more..depends what you want/value.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-08-22, 06:45 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I have a 1up double with 2 add ons (4 bike rack).

This winter upgraded two slots for fatbikes.

I use this to take the family to BMX racing, so 4 bikes, combo of 20" and 24" bikes.
I also use this to take road bikes on family vacation - so 4 bikes, mix of 700C, 650C and 24".

When I'm taking two bikes, I just install the double. When I'm taking 3, just one add-on.

My wife also loves this rack, largely because it's much lighter & easier to use than our previous rack.

I notice that 1UP is now selling (making as well, presumably) Recon Racks - the vertical hanging style. These are really nice if you're regularly carrying more bikes, probably worth looking at. I kind of wish I had a 5-bike or 6-bike sometimes, honestly.
Likes For Viich:
Old 03-08-22, 07:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The 1UP hitch connection is more secure as it uses a somewhat standard locking hitch pin(included). Thule uses a binding-friction type connection.
My 1UP has the binding-friction system too; there is a large ball in the shaft and you turn an Allen wrench to tighten it and it forces the ball out and thus makes the rack sit eccentrically in the receiver. It seems tight.... But I am never sure how tight I need to make it. Makes me wonder if I might break something if I over-tighten it. I don't know why mine doesn't use a pin.... Maybe only the 1.25" shafts use the pin? Mine is a 2-inch. Probably a moot point; my receiver has just enough room for the 4-inch minimum insertion and almost nothing more, because the spare tire well is beyond. That's all the room there is and if my rack had a hole for a pin, chances are it would be in the wrong place anyway.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-08-22, 07:22 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
My 1UP has the binding-friction system too; there is a large ball in the shaft and you turn an Allen wrench to tighten it and it forces the ball out and thus makes the rack sit eccentrically in the receiver. It seems tight.... But I am never sure how tight I need to make it. Makes me wonder if I might break something if I over-tighten it. I don't know why mine doesn't use a pin.... Maybe only the 1.25" shafts use the pin? Mine is a 2-inch. Probably a moot point; my receiver has just enough room for the 4-inch minimum insertion and almost nothing more, because the spare tire well is beyond. That's all the room there is and if my rack had a hole for a pin, chances are it would be in the wrong place anyway.
I have the 2 inch version and use a 2 inch hitch. Mine has a locking pin. (on mine, purchased last summer) The binding ball is just to tighten up the rack to keep it from moving around, not to keep the rack in the hitch. Maybe the design has changed before, or after, my version. I know there was a design that allowed a lock to be installed in front of the ball-tightening allen wrench insert. Mine does not have that.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-08-22, 07:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Totally worth it.

What I really like is that with a single tray it folds up against the bumper when not in use and is totally out of the way.

Also, it does not rust. I’ve left mine on through 5 Upstate NY winters (lots of salt) and its fine.

Also, it is very easy to fix if something does break, or modify, and parts are available.

Regarding the fenders: it is a bit more hassle to deal with full coverage rear fenders. What I do is move the crossbar to the bottom position so that is contacts the rear tire below the fender and then use a strap to hold the wheel down to the tray. I don’t travel with this bike much so it is not a big deal, but if a bike with a full coverage rear fender was something I did transport regularly, I might look at something else.

The rack has no problem dealing with my highly fendered Fat Bike with no futzing required:

This is the rack that people buy after checking out someone elses in the flesh. Since I bought mine 5 years ago, almost all of my riding friends have bought them.

When a product is this successful with zero advertising and few professional reviews (they only sell direct, so there are no click-through cuts for review sites to make money on) there is usually a good reason for it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-08-22 at 07:32 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-08-22, 07:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I have the 2 inch version and use a 2 inch hitch. Mine has a locking pin. (on mine, purchased last summer) The binding ball is just to tighten up the rack to keep it from moving around, not to keep the rack in the hitch. Maybe the design has changed before, or after, my version. I know there was a design that allowed a lock to be installed in front of the ball-tightening allen wrench insert. Mine does not have that.
The binding ball is also the primary means of holding it in the reciever. The locking pin is just for backup and security.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-08-22, 07:55 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I own two 1UP racks - one for me that I've had a while, and one for my wife we bought more recently after she bought an ebike. The company's customer service has been fantastic at quickly answering any question I had, and they're great for having parts available if you need something.

Nice thing with 1UP racks is the flexibility with their AddOns. Do you mostly carry one bike and sometimes need to carry two? Buy a Single and an AddOn. Always carry two and sometimes three? Buy a Double and an AddOn. Attaching the AddOn takes a half a minute.

I also like that the racks fold up - the two sides fold forward - makes for a size you can stow in a car truck easily.

Be aware - unlike others it seems 1UP doesn't reuse the same ten lock cylinders, so while every lock in one order will be keyed the same, they can't match a new lock to a previous purchase. Think about the locking you'll need to do - the pin locks are nice - and buy all the locks at the same time.

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-08-22 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-08-22, 08:01 AM
gpburdell

All of the 1UP racks use the binding ball to steady the rack in the receiver. This or similar is common to the Yakima and Kuat racks I've owned or seen.

With the 1.25-2" Quik Rack Single model, you can get a locking pin that covers the binding screw as you describe, and it comes with a velco cinch strap as a safety to keep the rack from coming out of the receiver. The 2" rack models also have the binding ball and come with a locking pin that goes through the normal receiver hitch pin hole and that serves as both security and safety keeper. They (at least the one I bought a few weeks ago) don't have a spot to put a lock over the tightening screw.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-08-22, 08:15 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
With the 1.25-2" Quik Rack Single model, you can get a locking pin that covers the binding screw as you describe, and it comes with a velco cinch strap as a safety to keep the rack from coming out of the receiver. The 2" rack models also have the binding ball and come with a locking pin that goes through the normal receiver hitch pin hole and that serves as both security and safety keeper. They (at least the one I bought a few weeks ago) don't have a spot to put a lock over the tightening screw.
That's how I recall it also.... The 1.25" / 2" single rack doesn't accomodate a normal pin but it does accept a smaller locking pin which mounts vertically and covers the tightening mechanism. The binding ball is pretty much the primary thing that keeps the rack from coming out of the hitch.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-08-22, 08:18 AM
fishboat

Another thought..the keys 1UP uses are not made from commonly available key blanks. I tried to have spare keys made at a couple locksmiths..no go. They don't have the blanks (out of a ~500-1000 different blank types they had on premise). They wouldn't order them as they have minimum order quantities around 2000 blanks..said they'd never sell them. The locksmiths guessed the hitch pins/locks are made in China and they don't care much for "standards".

You get two keys per hitch pin.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-08-22, 08:38 AM
gpburdell

Another thought..the keys 1UP uses are not made from commonly available key blanks. I tried to have spare keys made at a couple locksmiths..no go. They don't have the blanks (out of a ~500-1000 different blank types they had on premise). They wouldn't order them as they have minimum order quantities around 2000 blanks..said they'd never sell them. The locksmiths guessed the hitch pins/locks are made in China and they don't care much for "standards".

You get two keys per hitch pin.
Yes, good information for folks to be aware of when considering these. Two keys per lock.

1UP does let you buy just the lock portion, each coming with two keys, and they're $11.05 each when buying two or more (or buying with another lock). So if you're setting up an order and think you may need more than the included number of keys, add more 1/4 Turn Coupler Locks to your order and they'll be matched with any/all other locks in your order.

This is also helpful for the person who later orders their wheel locks or whatever, they can add an extra lock to replace an existing one and have everything keyed the same.

(just for kicks I checked the price of Yakima lock cores and keys - the cores at REI are $45 for two or $65 for four, and keys alone on Amazon are a bit over $8 each... so it's best to plan ahead for how many locks and keys you need no matter which you get)
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-08-22, 08:46 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Wow, great responses. Everybody loves them..that is awesome.

I do really appreciate the impute. I am thinking even though my needed set up would be about $800, 250 over a other brands set up it probably is worth it now. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy.

I really like the feedback!

Thank you all!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-22, 08:49 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by jaxgtr

Do you always need to haul 3 bikes? If not, they 1Up might be the way to go.
Not always but 2 for sure. With me and my younger son both having road bikes now two is bare minimum. Mom doesn't always ride with us so I will probably just buy the 2 rack at first to ease the purchase pain then get the add on later for mom when I can save up some OT money for it. After looking at racks for hours and hours and hours I just think this thing is a tank, will last me forever and is worth the cost. I really like the wheel attachment part not using any frame for securement. That I hate about my hanging rack!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.