Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 03-20-09, 01:19 PM
awc380

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
It sat in one place so long the tire was formed into the flat position near where the back of the rim meets the downtube( in the pic )
Really?!

...weird.
Old 03-20-09, 01:23 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mid-80's Univega Viva Touring. Currently mine, but hopefully if all goes well should have a new owner later today.

Old 03-20-09, 04:54 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
This is an English trekking bike from the Eisenhower era. Currently it is a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photoze 048.jpg (99.5 KB, 738 views)
photoze 045.jpg (99.6 KB, 2505 views)
Old 03-21-09, 05:07 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Same bike as above, but cleaner & with new saddle, brake pads, tires....
Attached Images
photoze 050.jpg (99.3 KB, 741 views)
photoze 051.jpg (100.3 KB, 672 views)
photoze 052.jpg (99.5 KB, 653 views)
Old 03-23-09, 08:18 AM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
stay tuned...
Attached Images
Old 03-23-09, 12:01 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyb
stay tuned...
was that on ebay a week or so ago? I think i was watching that auction for a friend.

Old 03-23-09, 12:18 PM
mainducoyote

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a cool Velo Sport Alpin I just finished cleaning and adjusting . Full Deore Group.

Old 03-23-09, 04:37 PM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
was that on ebay a week or so ago? I think i was watching that auction for a friend.
Yes, it ended last night. $78 plus $30 shipping as shown in the photo. It looks pretty clean, and paint in good condition. Not the deal of the century, but I was willing to pay it. All I need now is some wheels.

Last edited by jeremyb; 03-23-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 05:57 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Here's the update on the Volkscycle Mark 100. It rides good like a vintage lightweight should, lol.,,,,BD

I find it strange they played up the whole "VC" logo on both DT decals and headbadge, so soon after the Vietnam war. It probably turned a few potential buyers off I imagine? The "VC"
logo on the down tube is even bright red for cripes sake.

Last edited by Bikedued; 03-23-09 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 04:51 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Same bike as above, but cleaner & with new saddle, brake pads, tires....
I like it! What's the make?

What happened to the under the seat saddle bag in the first photo set? It looks usable with a little cleaning

Old 03-24-09, 05:14 AM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by Chuckk
I remember that the Vintage Touring Bike experience went like this:

PLINK! "Humm, that sounded like a spoke breaking."
PLINK! "Yup, that's a spoke all right."
PLINKITY! PLINK! PLINK! SCREEEEECH! "I hope I can get the freewheel off and have enough spare spokes."
At least it's not like the new school CF spoked racing bike experience.

CLICK! "Humm that sou".....WHAM!!,,,,BD
Old 03-24-09, 07:45 AM
JBMCsr1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a "Pocket Vise" or a "Mini Vise"? I've been looking for one of those but can't remember what it was called.
Old 03-24-09, 05:59 PM
Bikedued

I rode the Volks to work today. On the way home I heard someone say "Hey" from a car while approaching a red light. Relunctantly I turned to see what was up, and was met with a guy abou my age or a little older. He looked a little like Jackson Brown of all people, lol. He asked me what brand of bike it was. I reponded with the name, and he asked me if you could still buy them new. I notified him it was made about 1972 or 73, and he nodded looking a little disappointed. He then began talking a little about his old Nishiki he used to ride, and other light conversation. The light turned green, and the driver of the car began to pull away. He waved, and as the car pulled ahead of me I heard him speak as he turned to the driver of the car. I faintly caught a "1973, and it looks brand new!" I had a smile on my face the rest of the way home, even in the light to medium rain that caught me unaware.,,,,BD
Old 03-25-09, 10:09 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
What bars are on here? They look comfy, but how is it riding on the hoods?
Old 03-26-09, 12:22 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
OnOne Midge

Riding on the hoods is nice, especially if you run sti's or ergo's. Before I had it on this bike I ran it on a road bike that'd I'd do 75-130 mile days on and it was great, if you can get past the looks.

I really like riding in the drops though because it's not too low, and it's a wide grip. I have broad shoulders so I find it to be very comfortable. If you ride on the top, especially with as tall a stem like I'm running, you're really straight up.

The key for me on long tours is to have a bunch of options to move around, which these bars provide very nicely.

They're pricey at $51. I was lucky and found them at a bike swap, brand new with no packaging for $15.

Old 04-13-09, 08:59 AM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My '88/'89 (best guess based on components) Koga Miyata Randonneur. Not much on the webs about these. I haven't posted in the BF touring section, but a search brought up zero hits. Most of what I find is in German (which is where this bike is from originally) and mostly concerns the newer aluminum version.

Here's the rundown on mine:
Shimano 600 brakes
New Ultegra bar ends
Shimano 600 cranks (w/ biopace small and middle ring...I actually like 'em)
Shimano 'deer head' FD
Suntour XCD 6000 Accushift RD (I'd never seen this one before--it looks and functions great)
Shimano 105 hubs w/ Mavic M3cd rims

Just took it for a shakedown ride yesterday and it rode flawlessly.
Old 04-13-09, 09:51 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kbjack

My '88/'89 (best guess based on components) Koga Miyata Randonneur. Not much on the webs about these. I haven't posted in the BF touring section, but a search brought up zero hits. Most of what I find is in German (which is where this bike is from originally) and mostly concerns the newer aluminum version.
That's really nice. AFAIK there is one U.S. dealer for the modern Koga Miyatas; it's a dealer in Santa Barbara, Calif., with a generic name (Bike Commuter Store? or something like that, I always just google Koga Miyata Santa Barbara). They might know some history of the brand...
Old 04-13-09, 12:11 PM
purevl
CroMosexual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an 88. Also, I hate you. I would probably give up all of my other bikes to own a 1989 Randonneur Extra, but the odds of finding one for sale in the US are basically zilch, and I don't speak or read dutch.
Old 04-13-09, 12:21 PM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
A pic of my 1980 Fuji America, taken yesterday, all stock except that the bar ends have been swapped out for Suntour Superbe dt shifters, a Fujita Belt saddle instead of a Fujita Professional (looking for one of those, hint, hint), MKS road pedals swapped for MKS Tourist, and of course the handlebar wrap, about which all I can say is that it looks better in person than in pictures.

Old 04-13-09, 12:25 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by engo
Here's mine: 1985 Panasonic Touring Deluxe. I this is the first week I've been out on it, and it's a nice ride.
(Sorry for the chaotic background clutter in this photo, but I haven't had a chance to take any outdoor pics yet.)

Does anyone know the Panasonic Touring Bike Hierarchy? I just picked one up on Ebay, from the bits and pieces of info. I've gathered its a 1985 Pro Touring model. The seller didn't know much about it. Its due to arrive on Wednesday, but from what I can tell, it has Deore deer head derailleurs, biopace triple with half step, DT shifters(seems odd to have put those on it) and brazeons for pretty much everything. Its burgandy with a silver/grey headtube.
Old 04-13-09, 01:18 PM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a pic of my 1983 Mercian/Williams tourer.
Been seen before but in different guise.

Found a pair of wheels, Mavic MA3s with Shimano 600 hubs, which have bronze anodised rims to match the frame paint and the hubs match perfectly the Shimano 600 group-set.

Black guards/fenders complete my 'stealth tourer'.
Old 04-13-09, 01:57 PM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by purevl
It's an 88. Also, I hate you. I would probably give up all of my other bikes to own a 1989 Randonneur Extra, but the odds of finding one for sale in the US are basically zilch, and I don't speak or read dutch.
Thanks for the info--what indicates the model year on this one?

I've also wondered: is the Randonneur Extra a different version of this bike with chromed stays, or is the full name simply Randonneur Extra (mine says 'Randonneur' only)?

Went for another ride today. Perfect.

The only thing I noticed is a little bit of play in the front brake lever. I switched to an aero version of the Shimano 600 lever, not realizing I'd have to procure special ferrules to complete the job. Well, I finally finished and now the lever vibrates just enough to drive me crazy (noises like this are a special pet peeve of mine). I think it has to do with the way the housing and ferrule are seated inside the lever, coupled with the tight bend from the bar to the cable adjuster. I can't get it to go away. For the sake of comfort and OCD I think I'm going to switch over to some Cane Creek SCR 5s that I have. These also have a built in quick release which would be nice for tire changes.

I hate to lose the look of the 600s, but this might be a case where function wins over fashion.

Last edited by kbjack; 04-13-09 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 02:34 PM
purevl
CroMosexual

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info--what indicates the model year on this one?
I just compared paint and frame features in the catalogs and your bike is indisputably identical to the 1988 model.

I've also wondered: is the Randonneur Extra a different version of this bike with chromed stays, or is the full name simply Randonneur Extra (mine says 'Randonneur' only)?
It's a different model that is badged "RandonneurExtra." Eventually they dropped the randonneur model altogether for a while and there was only the extra version. In 1988 you are right, the difference was basically a chrome chainstay and downtube, as opposed to stem, shifter placement. Otherwise the frames and equipment spec seem to be exactly the same. Koga Miyata did this quite a bit actually, where different price points typically meant only very small equipment or detail changes. Which is why the "lesser" models can be such a bargain, because in some cases a drivetrain change will make them the equal of a pricier model. They didn't cheap out on the important part: the frame quality.

Went for another ride today. Perfect.
You don't have to twist the knife, ya bastid.

Funny, I'm soon performing a "fashion over function" brake lever switch. I prefer both the aesthetics (in terms of shape) and the wider bodies of the Tektro aero levers, but one of my bikes needs white hoods which means Shimano.
Old 04-16-09, 07:41 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my real touring bike...

It's a Quebec-made mid-80's Velosport Everest. Could use a repaint, but otherwise in very good shape. Lugged, of course... Tange Infinity.

I almost prefer riding this over my more race-like sport touring bike. It's slower, but it doesn't demand to be ridden fast, and nobody feels like they should be racing me, nor me them. I like that.

Last edited by Longfemur; 04-16-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 11:42 PM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swedish made Mustang (1985). Decent tourer equipped with 12-sp Tourney system. Frame by Miki/Sakai (63 cm). The bar is newly built. Brooks handles. "invisable" SKS mudguards. I´m still looking for a front rack...and a Brooks front bag.
Attached Images
P4160682.jpg (92.1 KB, 743 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.