Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Pea Picker from '70. Where to get parts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 04:30 PM
MuddKatt
Trekkie

Bikes: Schwinn Krate Pea Picker, Marin Rocky ridge , Lynskey Helix - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any remanufactured parts for the krate bikes?
I had my old pea picker which was in mint condition in the basement for years. Someone put a plastic drop cloth around it which collected the moisture and now it's got rust on the rims, fenders etc...Rear rim is bad. Gear cluster is in good shape, derailers are good, Paint is pretty good, seat is good, forks are good, sissy bar is really mint.
Are fenders and rims expensive to rechrome? or can I buy aftermarket?
Old 11-19-11, 06:00 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Have you tried all the methods of removing the rust? Schwinn chrome can come back pretty well.

Bob
Old 11-19-11, 06:08 PM
MuddKatt
Trekkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using some steel wool about four ought. I am going to look for some brass wool tomorrow to clean inside the chain guard areas and the other areas in good shap. The rear rim is really the worst ... heavy rust through the chrome where it was sitting near the concrete. fenders cleaned up a little but they have some chrome flaking up. Front rim is in good shape ..

Amazing thing is the rubber slick is still great.
Old 11-19-11, 06:13 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eBayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy + restoration. Some parts you can get clean enough, some you can get clean enough for replating and the rest you will have to find online. The marketplace here isn't a bad place at all to find parts.
Old 11-19-11, 06:25 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You might try oxalic acid on the rims.

eBay is a good source for parts. The "official" Schwinn forums died recently, but folks are starting to migrate here:

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php

Post a wanted ad and you will probably kick something up.

This site was a good place to start.

Best,

Bob
Old 11-19-11, 07:01 PM
MuddKatt
Trekkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all,
I have some barkeepers friend that has oxalic acid in it, or will I need stronger?

I have a feeling I will need a new rim though.. it looks bad.
I checked ebay just now and it looks like they get a premium for parts.

Thanks for that link, I regged over at the schwinn forum and am awaiting approval.
Old 11-19-11, 10:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
The "official" Schwinn chrome polish is Quick-Glo: https://www.quick-glo.com/ . At least, that's what we sold back when I worked in the local Schwinn shop. As Bob said, Schwinn chrome is good quality. As long as it's not rusted through and peeling off, you can usually restore it without a lot of effort.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-20-11, 06:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddKatt
I have been using some steel wool about four ought. I am going to look for some brass wool tomorrow to clean inside the chain guard areas and the other areas in good shap. The rear rim is really the worst ... heavy rust through the chrome where it was sitting near the concrete. fenders cleaned up a little but they have some chrome flaking up. Front rim is in good shape ..

Amazing thing is the rubber slick is still great.
Put down the steel wool, it doesn't know the difference between chrome and rust, and will remove both. And it will not get the rust that you cannot see.

Google oxalic acid, we must have 500 to 600 threads on it already.

Chrome flaking up = chrome is gone, you will probably have to either find replacements or get that part rechromed (or live with the defects). PArts = ebay, sometimes a complete bike is a better choice of parts than buying stuff one at a time.
Old 11-20-11, 07:38 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Also check with a good LBS they may be able to get you a new replacement rim for the rear unless it is going to be entered in some show where original equipment is needed. The fenders can be expensive if looking for NOS, but other model Schwinns used the same rear fenders including girls bikes and the reproduction Stingrays & Krates so you may be able to find one that will work and look the same.
Old 11-20-11, 11:47 AM
tim1217

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had great results with brass scouring pad with water + Dawn dishwashing to get the major rust off then go back over with 4 ought steel wool (never had any damage/scratches to chrome). If that method will not get the rust off, then you've got rust that has eaten into the metal. It's never going to come off but if you want to still use the same wheel (which you should because it's only original once) try Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid). Lay several sheets of paper towels in the sink and place the wheel on top with the rusted section over the towels. Goop on, and I mean really goop on the Naval Jelly until you can't see the rust. Now walk away and forget about for at least 48 hours. With rubber gloves on, rub the jelly off with the brass scouring pad and then rinse off with water and dry. Like I said, it's not going to look like new but it will get the surface rust off. Where it has eaten through will just be black.
Old 12-03-11, 04:42 PM
MuddKatt
Trekkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all , I did get the oxalic acid at the true value hardware. Now to wait for a break in work to try that.

will paint be ok with the oxalic?

I'll give it a shot to see how the rim looks first but I will keep looking for a stamped rim on ebay.
if that fails I'll get some naval jelly.. I doubt I'll hurt much after that.