Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Handlebar just split in half on me. Expect the unexpected.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Handlebar just split in half on me. Expect the unexpected.

Old 07-22-23, 04:27 PM
  #1  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Handlebar just split in half on me. Expect the unexpected.

Going for an evening ride after my early morning ride and about 4 mins into it, my handlebars split in half on the right side. Never did I imagine this could be a thing. I think I'll just chill indoors for the rest of the evening...

Update: To be fair to the manufacturer of the handlebars, there were about 3 to 4 occasions where the ends of the handlebars smacked concrete pretty hard. So I guess it shouldn't have been THAT unexpected.

Last edited by bikelif3; 07-23-23 at 11:36 AM.
bikelif3 is offline  
Old 07-22-23, 04:38 PM
  #2  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Going for an evening ride after my early morning ride and about 4 mins into it, my handlebars split in half on the right side. Never did I imagine this could be a thing. I think I'll just chill indoors for the rest of the evening...
Actually, let me give you the whole story. I was about 4mins into my ride and I saw an oncoming speeding white compact car going about 65 in a 35mph. I decided to "swerve" them, play chicken with them, and dodged to the left. Right after this, my freaking handlebar literally just broke in half. Had it been a split second earlier, I could have been hit by that car. I don't think I'll be playing chicken with cars again...
bikelif3 is offline  
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 07-22-23, 04:58 PM
  #3  
Schweinhund
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 1,393

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Actually, let me give you the whole story. I was about 4mins into my ride and I saw an oncoming speeding white compact car going about 65 in a 35mph. I decided to "swerve" them, play chicken with them, and dodged to the left. Right after this, my freaking handlebar literally just broke in half. Had it been a split second earlier, I could have been hit by that car. I don't think I'll be playing chicken with cars again...
I will admit to doing some stupid stuff on bicycles, but I would never ever consider playing chicken with multiple tons of metal, plastic and momentum.
Schweinhund is offline  
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 07-22-23, 06:19 PM
  #4  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,710
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked 4,383 Times in 2,727 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I will admit to doing some stupid stuff on bicycles, but I would never ever consider playing chicken with multiple tons of metal, plastic and momentum.
Especially one with a speeding driver!
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-22-23, 06:20 PM
  #5  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,710
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked 4,383 Times in 2,727 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Going for an evening ride after my early morning ride and about 4 mins into it, my handlebars split in half on the right side. Never did I imagine this could be a thing. I think I'll just chill indoors for the rest of the evening...
So tell us about these bars ie make and model. Got any photos of the failure?
PeteHski is offline  
Old 07-22-23, 06:41 PM
  #6  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So tell us about these bars ie make and model. Got any photos of the failure?
Sure, I don't mind sharing info. I ride a Gravity BaseCamp 27.5 in from bikesdirect.com. Bought it for about $350 before the pandemic

Their description: Handlebar Aluminum W:620MMxR:30MMx6 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK

bikelif3 is offline  
Old 07-22-23, 10:30 PM
  #7  
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 1,505 Times in 707 Posts
Glad you're OK. An acquaintance of mine snapped a set of very experienced handlebars on a tandem - almost had a very severe crash.

I have experienced a broken handlebar on my Rans Nimbus recumbent after nearly 30 years of service - fortunately at low speed as I was coming to a stop. It snapped off where the horizontal crosspiece entered the left side - the hole for the crosspiece must have created a stress riser.

Snapped-off Rans Nimbus handlebar, 2012. No alien squeezy horns were harmed.

I was able to ride home very carefully using just one hand and one brake.

The bike was out of service for about 4 years as I searched for an appropriate replacement. Rans had discontinued that part decades earlier, and most recumbent riser bars were either too narrow or otherwise unsuitable. Finally ended up buying a set of super-tall Sunlite steel ape-hanger bars and was able to set it up acceptably, although at a greater weight.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is online now  
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 07-23-23, 07:57 AM
  #8  
Iride01 
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,471

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5975 Post(s)
Liked 4,597 Times in 3,174 Posts
Interesting how they broke like they did. Is there any evidence in the fracture that it started sometime ago and progressed? Can you get a more focused shot of both ends?

Being the thick aluminum that looks like, I think that probably means it wasn't the better aluminum alloy bars that are heat treated, annealed or any of the other things they do to make them more resistant of such things. All my aluminum bars that I've had on my bikes are/were much thinner aluminum.

You probably should send a pic of that to the bike manufacturer and the handlebar manufacturer.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-23-23, 08:05 AM
  #9  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3690 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 740 Posts
I'm lucky, because I never had one break, but I have had one bend on me.
work4bike is online now  
Old 07-23-23, 09:06 AM
  #10  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,710
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked 4,383 Times in 2,727 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Sure, I don't mind sharing info. I ride a Gravity BaseCamp 27.5 in from bikesdirect.com. Bought it for about $350 before the pandemic

Their description: Handlebar Aluminum W:620MMxR:30MMx6 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
Nasty one that! Looking at where it failed, it certainly wasn't from an over-tightened or sharp-edged stem. I assume nothing else was clamped in that area. So I would presume it's made out of cheese spec alloy.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-23-23, 10:02 AM
  #11  
Troul 
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,181

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,852 Posts
Oh snap!
must be laced with crabon fibre?

I'd at least report the breakage to the "OEM" to establish a paper trail..
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 07-23-23, 11:40 AM
  #12  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
More focused view. Luckily I had the same handlebars from an older bike I'm using for parts. Again, the handlebar ends did previously smack concrete pretty hard 3 or 4 times so not completely unexpected.

bikelif3 is offline  
Old 07-23-23, 01:26 PM
  #13  
Schweinhund
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 1,393

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting how they broke like they did. Is there any evidence in the fracture that it started sometime ago and progressed? Can you get a more focused shot of both ends?

Being the thick aluminum that looks like, I think that probably means it wasn't the better aluminum alloy bars that are heat treated, annealed or any of the other things they do to make them more resistant of such things. All my aluminum bars that I've had on my bikes are/were much thinner aluminum.

You probably should send a pic of that to the bike manufacturer and the handlebar manufacturer.
That bar is straight up defective.
Schweinhund is offline  
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 07-23-23, 01:31 PM
  #14  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,489

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5870 Post(s)
Liked 3,419 Times in 2,053 Posts
Glad the OP came out OK. This is why I buy a new stem and handlebar when I rebuild an old bike.
bikemig is online now  
Old 07-23-23, 07:21 PM
  #15  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,713

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,983 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Actually, let me give you the whole story. I was about 4mins into my ride and I saw an oncoming speeding white compact car going about 65 in a 35mph. I decided to "swerve" them, play chicken with them, and dodged to the left. Right after this, my freaking handlebar literally just broke in half. Had it been a split second earlier, I could have been hit by that car. I don't think I'll be playing chicken with cars again...
So, if your handlebars had not broken, playing chicken with cars would still be in your plans?
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-23-23, 08:10 PM
  #16  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, if your handlebars had not broken, playing chicken with cars would still be in your plans?
Maybe not, but would definitely follow you home and snap your license plate and home number...
bikelif3 is offline  
Old 07-23-23, 08:13 PM
  #17  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,713

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,983 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Maybe not, but would definitely follow you home and snap your license plate and home number...
If you can follow a car home that's doing 65 mph, you must have a pretty good FTP.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-23-23, 08:15 PM
  #18  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you can follow a car home that's doing 65 mph, you must have a pretty good FTP.
I JUST did a week ago.
bikelif3 is offline  
Old 07-23-23, 09:33 PM
  #19  
Russ Roth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,726

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 697 Posts
You've just convinced me to swap the bars on my motobecane uno, absolutely love the bike but I've been riding OS bars for so long I've wondered about their general quality being 26mm. Yours make me think not good. Already destroyed the factory pedals 5 miles into the first ride.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 07-28-23, 11:10 AM
  #20  
Schweinhund
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 1,393

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You've just convinced me to swap the bars on my motobecane uno, absolutely love the bike but I've been riding OS bars for so long I've wondered about their general quality being 26mm. Yours make me think not good. Already destroyed the factory pedals 5 miles into the first ride.
Considering the leverage involved with a drop bar and the seating position, probably a good choice if you are at all concerned.
That being said, I saw a guy, (little Scotty) flat out snap a new pair of Answer taperlite bars doing bicycle trials. So there are no guarantees you still won't snap a pair.
Schweinhund is offline  
Old 08-01-23, 11:36 AM
  #21  
cellery
Senior Member
 
cellery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for bikesdirect eh. Notice how narrow the tubing is on one side of those bars. It's paper thin (!) Is it normal to have it molded asymmetrically like that? It's been a long time since I've bothered to look at galleries of failed components and most of the time when you see stuff like this it's carbon that's been previously wrecked.
cellery is offline  
Old 08-01-23, 01:54 PM
  #22  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for bikesdirect eh. Notice how narrow the tubing is on one side of those bars. It's paper thin (!) Is it normal to have it molded asymmetrically like that? It's been a long time since I've bothered to look at galleries of failed components and most of the time when you see stuff like this it's carbon that's been previously wrecked.
I'm not going to let you spread misinformation (probably disinformation). As I stated, the handlebar ends hit concrete very hard on 3-4 occasions, probably weakening them.

The thickness is the same. The angle of the crack in the picture makes someone like you who is easily fooled, to make bold, incorrect statements as if they were fact. Are you Chat GPT???

I'll continue to buy my bikes from bikesdirect.com.

Last edited by bikelif3; 08-01-23 at 02:26 PM.
bikelif3 is offline  
Old 08-01-23, 09:23 PM
  #23  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,906

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
I'm not going to let you spread misinformation (probably disinformation). As I stated, the handlebar ends hit concrete very hard on 3-4 occasions, probably weakening them.
Given the handlebar failure by your own admission is likely the result of the severe abuse they were subjected to by your rough/careless handling, why did you even post about it? Is your point that thrashing your equipment might result in mechanical failure?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 08-02-23, 03:32 PM
  #24  
bikelif3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Given the handlebar failure by your own admission is likely the result of the severe abuse they were subjected to by your rough/careless handling, why did you even post about it? Is your point that thrashing your equipment might result in mechanical failure?
I was sharing an experience that I didn't expect to happen. Is that ok with you? You know what, next time before I post something I'll private message it to you so you can approve or disapprove of it. Does that make you happy?
bikelif3 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.