Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What cycling injuries have you suffered over the years?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-04-20, 07:41 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
1999: Crashed and busted my lip trying to avoid a non-yielding vehicle in a roundabout. The blood was epic. I was on my way to a college course, so that was fun.

2008: Run-in with a minivan. Busted ribs, soft tissue injuries. I couldn't sit down properly for a month...and it still hurt to cough six months later.

2017: Lost control on a mild downhill and dumped the bike in the ditch. 60 miles into a 130 mile ride. I was fine and finished the ride, but there was definitely a lot of Icy Hot for the two weeks thereafter.

2019: SUV this time. Just bruised ribs, wrist sprained (not broken thankfully), soft tissue injuries. The rib injury was enough to flop around like a beached whale trying to get up for a while.

Honorable Mention: 2008, just before the minivan incident, I bashed my bike into my forehead while carrying it up some steps. If you've ever been hit in the face...it bleeds a lot. I've still got a sweet Charlie Manson scar. Moral: You can still crash even if you're not riding the bike.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
this thread is worthless without photos.
I'd love to share, but my good bruising photos are NSFW.
Old 07-04-20, 08:28 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Broke pelvis In late 2016 when attacked by a wild dog in a rural, isolated spot in the mountains of VA. Never saw or heard it coming, and was going uphill, so the beast tracked me down. No time to unclip and down I went - hard! Couldn’t move and I lay here for almost an hour before someone came by. Two nights in UVA, but no surgery.

Took about 8 weeks of intensive rehab, but I’m fine now and still ride.
Old 07-04-20, 08:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I remember this because it happened last night- strawberry on hip.

Just trying to answer the call:

"this thread is worthless without photos."

Last edited by woodcraft; 07-05-20 at 09:55 AM. Reason: We believe you. No pics needed.
Old 07-04-20, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I would say that wreck was a blessing and God send for sure. Otherwise, you know the rest more than likely.
I've considered that perspective as well. I knew for years I had thyroid problems, but didn't realize it had become cancerous. I neglected my own health for years while I was my mom's caregiver (she had Alzheimer's and other physical disabilities). The injury and cancer diagnosis finally motivated me to register with the VA for health care. They've been terrific for me in this area, Texas, although I understand in some regions the VA has been less satisfactory for some folks.
Old 07-05-20, 03:31 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
In the past 12 years I've broken 12 ribs, my left fibula, right clavicle and scapula, punctured/collapsed a lung, fractured C1 + C2 and the base of my skull. I also had 3 surgeries to repair a torn large intestine.

Other than that, nothing major.

This individual post is worthless without photos!!! LOL
Old 07-05-20, 06:32 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
This individual post is worthless without photos!!! LOL
I have many, but the forum won't allow me to share them.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-05-20, 08:55 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,747 Posts
I have many, but the forum won't allow me to share them.
Thank you.
Old 07-05-20, 09:23 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Thank you.
I do have a photo of an awesome thigh bruise somewhere. I'll share that if I can find it.

The front wheel slid out on a tight right turn, and all my weight came down on my hip/thigh.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-05-20 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-05-20, 09:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I am curious as to the injuries we that cycle have endured from the sport. I have two notable ones......

Great sport!
2010:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"sweat in eye... what to do"

Be careful. My worst crash [prior to 2012] was when I tried to wipe off some sweat in my eyes with the back of my glove I ran off the road and got some stinging abrasions and a cut on my upper lip requiring sutures.
I thought I might have to lose my moustache .
2011:
… The upshot was spending from about 4:00 to 8:30 PM in the Emergency Room, with abrasions on my arms, knees, and a couple ugly ones on my face; and a gash about 1 inch long requiring 18 stitches to close. But not to worry, I’m OK, though I haven’t checked out the bike.

Wha’ happened? I was riding about 5 mph on the main street, and on that road surface were these strips of tar, the policeman called “tar seams,” apparently a cheap fix for cracks. In the 90 degree heat they became soft and sticky and grabbed my tire, and since I was going slowly, one pulled me down.
2012: Hit from behind: fractured sacrum, rib and metatarsal; hip degloving soft tissue injury, shoulder separation.

Medflight from ER, in acute and rehab hospitals about 6 weeks, off work three months, off bike for five.
”Do you really enjoy riding a bike?”

I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.
Old 07-05-20, 02:55 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Hit a curb in a pace line, went flying (2018). Broke my left hand and it is now marginally but permanently limited in motion and grip. Middle and ring fingers have loss of motion. I can fully extend but not grip. Took me off the bike until this past winter. I'm finally back on but utterly uncomfortable riding with anyone. Thankfully, with Di2 synchro I can put the vast majority of shift duties onto the right shifters.

As closed grip as I can.
Likes For cybirr:
Old 07-05-20, 08:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
1) Gunshot wounds on two occasions. (Luckily only small caliber flesh wounds.)
2) One minor bite injury from a young mountain lion.
3) Fractured femur.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-05-20, 09:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Very few injuries beyond road crash. A few broken teeth, a concussion, some stitches, and a broken toe.

My favorite injury was fairly minor -- I sustained burns when my tights melted as I slid along the asphalt. Got bloodied up too so it was a bit messy, but still looked cool (and much worse than it actually was)
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-06-20, 12:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Broke one clavicle, dislocated the other, about 20 years apart.
I dislocated my sternoclavicular joint many years ago. Doctor's words: "I didn't even know that was possible!" I hope your experience was as bearable as it could be.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-06-20, 01:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
I feel fortunate after reading this thread. After two crashes riding solo, my injuries include a hammer finger and scarring from road rash. No concussions yet but I did destroy my favorite jersey.
oh, that's an absolute guarantee...along with said jersey being no longer available/replaceable in your size. every time. pretty much the only reason why,
when i find a jersey i love, i buy a backup and occasionally another...especially if it's < $100.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-06-20, 02:14 PM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Cracked ribs, broken jaw, broken teeth, facial wounds requiring stitches, occasional road rashes and bruises. Riding for over 40 years, so par for the course. The one time I got smoked by a motorist resulted in no injuries. I'm partial to injuries sustained during the winter, in which the cold really numbs the effects. Got a couple titanium plates in my face as mementos.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 07-06-20, 02:30 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
my pride and sense of self with a dash of shame.
🙁
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-06-20, 02:35 PM
Germanrazor

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
3) Fractured femur.
I would ask about #1 but will refrain...LOL
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 07-06-20, 02:53 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I would ask about #1 but will refrain...LOL
u best find a new hobby before something really bad happens.
like saddle sores ..
😃
Old 07-06-20, 02:56 PM
oxman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
3) Fractured femur.
#1 and #2 are from cycling?
Old 07-06-20, 07:12 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
In June of 2017, I got t-boned by a car going 40mph. I was on a 107 mile group ride and I probably had 60 riders ride up on me and see my pitiful situation. It threw me 50 feet (Man Dad, you must have jumped over 50 feet over that sand dune, that's nothing to be proud of Rusty...Fifty feet...Vacation reference) I broke my right ankle on both sides, my tibia and my fibula in many places, broke my left shoulder, and my helmet flew off and I got a concussion with 14 staples in my head. I have no memory of the accident. My wife said I was pleading with the doctor to not cut off my cycling shorts... My wife said I kept saying, "What happened, where am I, where is my bike, WHO SHAVED MY HEAD!".

I was in the hospital for a week, a rehab center for 17 long days and I was in a wheelchair for two months. My insurance got me a new bike and I was riding after 73 days from the accident.

Last edited by Sojodave; 07-07-20 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 07-06-20, 09:19 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
As a long-time runner who had to give it up because of knee problems, and have been cycling only a few years, I was very surprised at what I've read in this thread. As a runner, I was expecting to read about injuries like pulled muscles or sprained ankles or shin splints, caused by riding, but all the injuries people are reporting are due to accidents. Reading your stories is a scary part of this newbie's cycling education!
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-07-20, 01:20 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'm not going to try and remember what year, but try to go from oldest to newest.

-Rode off a curb and somehow fell off the bike, roughly 30minutes and 30 blocks later woke up to an arrival of an ambulance, told I kinda just passed out and fell of the bike in the middle of the street by some people

-Flilping over the bars during different occurrances through time, trying to do stoppies

-Leaving a vigil for a killed cyclist, few blocks down the road, clipped by a car behind me, sent crashing in to an empty space on the street

-Standing coasting downhill, somehow slipped off the bike and the crank cut in to my leg as I fell on top of the bike

-fell off bike jumping a set of steps several times

-Hit a taxi pulling out of a hotel and slid accross the hood

-Locked up the brake on my cruiser dropping in to the main pool at the skate park, bike spun around and threw me off

-Same cruiser; that survived a trip to Lexington from Louisville three days before. I was pulling in to the parking spot next to the carriage house my gf at the time lived in, went to stop and ran in to the back wall of the raised yard. After inspection descovered that the tip of the finger that locks the chainring in place on the crank snapped, letting it backpedal. Oddly the frame was fine, the fork was not. When I left, I found a telephone pole, turned the fork backwards and rammed it in to it until it had ridable castor

-Riding through cross traffic, clipped the back of a bus that had slowed down to stop and the bus stop.

-Walking a bike home with a flat, was clipped by a speeding cars mirror. I saw it over a football field away when I was in the middle of the street. Me and the bike were spun around, I think it hit the tire and as I spun, my shoulder hit the mirror. Both wheels and fork were bent and both brakes were disconnected.

-The same cruiser. I was standing up crossing RR tracks and tge front wheel slipped sideways on the rail and I think I had sprung my thumb

-I've hit a few cars over the years, been hit by some

-This should be near the top, but I was riding with friends along the river walk after a rain, and got some speed down a curved hill. Thought I could hold the drift and low-sided in to somd grass... and lost my k-cutter.

-Was riding with a friend downtown in a spot called 4th St Live after they power washed the area, thought I was gonna do a wicked spin, locking my rear break up. Did a 360 and the bike flew out from under me.

-Tried to ride under the stage they were setting up in that area mentioned above this one. I was going about 10mph. It would've worked had it not been for the backpack I was wearing that stopped me dead, catching the edge of the stage floor. That hurt my ego pretty good. I almost got stuck.

All I can remember.
Old 07-07-20, 02:49 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
23 months ago, I rear ended a parked truck in the bike lane and broke my wrist. Here's the photo in the ER (no broken skin, but unnatural angle https://imgur.com/a/hZtKCqo). Off the bike for eight months as it was a rainy, cold winter and I was not motivated to start riding in awful weather. Fortunately, no lasting damage, other then some loss of range of flexibility.

I also broke my shoulder (2011?) in a 2 mph tip over. I was going around a tight corner on an overpass with wooden planks. It was late at night and I was going slow and the front tire got stick in a wide separation between two planks. I reached out to grab the rail... and missed with my arm stretched out. I didn't feel too bad until three days later when my arm turned black and blue and hurt like hell. Just a sling for a long while and vicodin so I could sleep for several months. I got frozen shoulder and it wasn't until 10 months after the fall that I could raise my arm to more than level with the ground. They have since replaced the wooden planks with cement.

Permanent plate and 11 screws.

Last edited by a1penguin; 07-07-20 at 02:56 AM.
Likes For a1penguin:
Old 07-07-20, 03:49 PM
Germanrazor

Originally Posted by Sojodave
In June of 2017, I got t-boned by a car going 40mph. I was on a 107 mile group ride and I probably had 60 riders ride up on me and see my pitiful situation. It threw me 50 feet (Man Dad, you must have jumped over 50 feet over that sand dune, that's nothing to be proud of Rusty...Fifty feet...Vacation reference) I broke my right ankle on both sides, my tibia and my fibula in many places, broke my left shoulder, and my helmet flew off and I got a concussion with 14 staples in my head. I have no memory of the accident. My wife said I was pleading with the doctor to not cut off my cycling shorts... My wife said I kept saying, "What happened, where am I, where is my bike, WHO SHAVED MY HEAD!".

I was in the hospital for a week, a rehab center for 17 long days and I was in a wheelchair for two months. My insurance got me a new bike and I was riding after 73 days from the accident.

Holy Schnikes Batman! You look like a dilapidated bird house I once built while drunk!
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 07-07-20, 03:51 PM
Germanrazor

Some nice or (grotesque) injuries for sure. It comes with riding I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.