Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Caravan/Camper

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bicycle Caravan/Camper

Old 04-19-20, 02:01 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
might be fine for casual rides on well-maintained bike trails, but i wouldn't want anything larger than a bob or an extrawheel on public roads.

anything wider would be a traffic hazard, and a larger cross-section would be miserable. it's bad enough with ordinary saddlebags in a stiff cross wind, worse getting sucked into the draft of an 18-wheeler.
Old 04-19-20, 07:01 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner
Happy Feet, that is pretty close to it, but in a Teardrop shape., Phughes, I will put some thought into your idea as well, that idea has a lot positives, so long as I can give a comfortable ride to my dog.
Take a look at the forum link below...it's for folks who build teardrops and other types of campers..one that I do is using an enclosed cargo trailer as the base for a conversion into a camper(commercial-quality trailer for hauling kayaks, bikes..etc..as well as a camper..)

One subforum on the forum is camper construction out of foam insulation panels. There was one guy a few months back posting a series of threads about building a foam-based camper to tow via bicycle. I didn't read it..no idea what he was thinking..but there may be some info there..

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? Index page

Last edited by fishboat; 04-19-20 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 09:11 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
There is a reason 99.99% of the people who actually bike tour and camp use a tent or hammock. I understand the dog needs a trailer, so you will be pulling one anyway, but pulling a small RV for any typical touring distance is a huge step up and quite different. I have never seen anyone on the road except as someone’s YouTube project. You could be the first to make it work, and I look forward to hearing your story, and good luck with your endeavors.
Old 04-19-20, 11:05 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Alan, I have actually a few reasons to do it, getting older, more uncomfortable on the ground, I tour in Autumn and winter mostly, so it is colder in the tent all the time. The dog's comfort also, as he is a part of me, he is my shadow, so the best I can do for him, is what I will try. The wet weather aspect. Lighting all around me in the tent. The crazy wild dogs. and other things. I do know the negatives, but will give this a serious workout, and if it fails , I will tell you guys why.
Old 05-03-20, 09:41 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If I was building one, I would start with a base something like in the cargo bikes in the following video. Solar panels would form the roof, and would cover the entire vehicle, including the driver. The sides could be roll up tarps, so they don't catch the wind, but can be used to enclose the vehicle when it rains or when you stop. You could come up with a decent windscreen, and maybe make it removable.

Old 05-04-20, 12:16 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
How about the https://www.woodenwidget.com/foldavan.htm from plans and material list? Here's a video and the side curtains unzip to allow cross winds to blow thru.

Foldavan lightweight folding bicycle caravan

Old 05-07-20, 09:09 PM
ricrunner

The problem, with this Fold-a-van is I cannot carry the dog, plus it would have serious side wind issues. This camper I am looking at will be 220cm long 82cm wide and 100cm high internally. It will also become my home probably, as am looking to leave and live on the road for a fair while. So a camper will be more suited to that idea.. To keep it as light weight as possible am trying to source Gabon (pronounced Gaboon) ply. It comes in thicknesses of 1.25 mm -2.25mm. It is also very rare, as sourcing of the timber from New Guinea is banned and has been for 25 years. Though have heard that someone here in Australia, does have a container full of it. It is mainly used for racing yachts as being very strong and virtually puncture proof. Other wise will be using 3 ply at 3 mmm thick.

Last edited by ricrunner; 05-07-20 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 01:27 AM
ricrunner

alo, I would love something like that, but it is way to complicated for me to build, to buy them, they are 16000 Euro's as well. I could probably build one adapting a Greenspeed cattrike, or my favourite Greenspeed the Anura, as it is a much higher recumbent, so would be noticed by trucks here a bit more, but it still would be prohibitively expensive. My current costs to build it with solar , lithium battery MPPT controller, interior and exterior lights, fusing, cabling 12 volt and usb plugs, lathe work for the axle, good wheels and quality Schwalbe tyres, lightweight steel chassis, exhaust fan, 1 porthole and 1 window with screen plus box camper comes into approx. $1500 au, and that is basically all the money I have to spare for it. And this is keeping the weight down to 50 - 70kg overall. I have to be very harsh with the materials weight , so am sourcing as light weight timber as I can get. I would like to use Corflute ( polycarbonate), but that stuff is like gold to source and pay for here.
Old 01-02-21, 02:38 PM
ghcoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner
I am thinking of building one. It's design style will be of a Teardrop camper. I can see a lot of advantages, in doing so, things, like being able to get in it, when caught in a bad storm, something that has happened a fair few times. I hate being soaking wet and cold because of it. Being able to just pull in and sleep with out putting up the tent all the time. And cooking in it in bad weather. As I always tour with my dog, giving him something more comfortable to travel in. Being on a 4 inch mattress instead of a 3cm one on rough ground. Being a bit more safer in it, as apposed to the tent in dealing with feral dog packs, at night , which has happened twice here. I also know the downsides, like weight issues, a much bigger footprint whilst on the road, especially narrow ones, hill climbing will be much harder, more strain on the drive train, a lot more wear issues on that gear. I am wondering whether their are any other downsides that I have not thought of, Can you guys enlighten me?
Hello, I stumbled upon this thread doing some research for a bicycle trailer a person approached me to build. I currently make standard teardrop/squaredrop type trailers out of XPS foam and canvas, otherwise known as foamies. My 4'x8' and 5'x8' builds usually come in under 400lbs. I do believe this build technique will convert to a bicycle trailer quite well. The biggest weight of my trailers is the trailer I use to build them on. Do away with the trailer and the body comes in at about 120lbs. I use 7/16" OSB for the floor and manufactured doors and windows which adds most of the weight at this point. I think I can easily shave off another 50lbs using smaller windows and making the door out of foam as well. I think I can get in the 50-75lbs which would be under the target weight of 100lbs that the request suggested. I am shooting for body dimensions of L82" W34" H40" which comes pretty close to the size of this build (look up Mody Serien Fahrradwohnwagen on YouTube)

Canvas over XPS foam is a strong and durable build and fairly inexpensive to build. Thought I would inform you of this build type and good luck! George.
Old 01-03-21, 06:24 PM
ricrunner

Originally Posted by ghcoe
Hello, I stumbled upon this thread doing some research for a bicycle trailer a person approached me to build. I currently make standard teardrop/squaredrop type trailers out of XPS foam and canvas, otherwise known as foamies. My 4'x8' and 5'x8' builds usually come in under 400lbs. I do believe this build technique will convert to a bicycle trailer quite well. The biggest weight of my trailers is the trailer I use to build them on. Do away with the trailer and the body comes in at about 120lbs. I use 7/16" OSB for the floor and manufactured doors and windows which adds most of the weight at this point. I think I can easily shave off another 50lbs using smaller windows and making the door out of foam as well. I think I can get in the 50-75lbs which would be under the target weight of 100lbs that the request suggested. I am shooting for body dimensions of L82" W34" H40" which comes pretty close to the size of this build (look up Mody Serien Fahrradwohnwagen on YouTube)

Canvas over XPS foam is a strong and durable build and fairly inexpensive to build. Thought I would inform you of this build type and good luck! George.
Thanks for your input, but the camper is basically built, needs more money as I have bought everything, and now require electric bike gear for my bike, and also I am currently time poor, with some other activities, but I went with 3 ply. Have sourced an aluminium window and screen, a nice small one, just have to do the door(home built) and the fit out. The trailer design I went with is pretty close to this one, but with a straighter front wall, for ease of sitting up inside: checkout Bicycle caravan | Fietscaravan, Fahrradwohnwagen, Bicycle Caravan, Bicycle Camper, Fahrradkarawane, Art

Last edited by ricrunner; 01-03-21 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:20 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Rather than plywood for the sides and top, I would think that corrugated plastic or corrugated polycarbonate sheet would be a good option. Much lighter than plywood. several thicknesses available - 6mm, 8mm, 10mm... and since they make greenhouses out of the stuff, you already have some insulating properties! Comes in colors or clear. joining pieces (H-channel, etc) are also available. Check out greenhouse suppliers.

For the frame? Why re-invent the wheel? Find an old aluminum rowboat -- Jon Boat flat-bottom style with the flat nose. Those are about 3' wide and 8' long. Bolt a hitch to the bike on the bow. Bike forks welded to a bracket that bolts to the gunwale. Attach the corrugated panels to a tubular aluminum frame that is screwed to the gunwale, using Silicone sealant for water-tightness. Put rigid foam insulation on the floor of the boat between the ribs (to keep your sleeping foam out of any collected water intrusion), and put your sleeping pad foam on top of that. Solar panels on the roof and sides to power your blinky lights on the rear of the trailer, and to charge your electronics. Of course you could also add extra drain holes to the bottom, just in case...and you don't ever want your trailer to double as a fishing boat/houseboat or as a means to get across a flooded river....

If one wanted a suspension for the trailer, he could mount a couple of discarded shock absorbing MTB forks to each side of the boat instead of regular forks... detach the wheels if you want to go out on the water, but I don't know what you'd use for propulsion. YOU figure that one out...