Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag - Cable Clearance

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 07:44 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I have a carbon gravel bike (aluminum bars/stem) and I would like to know if I can fit a handlebar bag for carrying some extra gear on 2-3 day credit card tours.

Distance between the bars (inside of hoods) is 36cm and the cables stick out in front of the bars by 6cm.

I want a bike that if it has a mount, can be removed (will only use it a few times a year).

Last edited by Noonievut; 05-18-21 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 08:13 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I recommend you look at Swift bags, Builtbyswift.com. Good quality, made in Seattle. They have some that mount with Voile straps, with some foam spacers to allow for the cables and give you room for your fingers to grip the bars behind the bag.
Old 05-17-21, 09:53 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
BXB comes with foam spacers and voile straps that won't compromise the carbon bars

https://www.bagsxbird.com/
Old 05-18-21, 03:57 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
BXB comes with foam spacers and voile straps that won't compromise the carbon bars

https://www.bagsxbird.com/
Thanks. I should have clarified that the bars and stem are aluminum. Frame/fork are carbon.
Old 05-18-21, 05:40 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Check out the Ortlieb Ultimate bags. The mount stands off of the stem and bars enough for cables, I've used mine with a cantilever brake hanger. The lockable bag comes off in an instant. The biggest drawback is the mount's cable fastening system that's not quick to remove and install again.
Old 05-18-21, 06:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
When you have a gravel bike, the key word being gravel, what do you want? A bikepacking handlebar harness to hold a dry bag or a conventional handlebar bag?

You should have no problems with a conventional handlebar bag.

If the steerer tube is metal, and if you have sufficient steerer tube to take a second stem, I prefer that for handlebar bag mounting. A short stub of handlebar or metal tubing in that second stem can fit lower than the handlebar to mount the bag lower and a bit closer to the steering axis.

The bag in the photo is no longer made, plus I made modifications to it, I do not recommend this bag. Photo is intended to show the concept of second stem.

Thorn makes an accessory T bar that works the same way, it consumes only an inch of steerer tube, but shipping from UK can be pricey. I use that on a bike instead of a second stem because I only had 25mm of spacers on the steerer tube that I could remove.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessor...0-deg/?geoc=US

Make sure you include shifting in your measurements. In this case the lever clears the bag side pocket but if the bag was higher it would not.

Old 05-18-21, 07:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by tommymc
Check out the Ortlieb Ultimate bags. The mount stands off of the stem and bars enough for cables, I've used mine with a cantilever brake hanger. The lockable bag comes off in an instant. The biggest drawback is the mount's cable fastening system that's not quick to remove and install again.
I have a mount on each bike that I use the Ortlieb with, and leave them there. (Kind of like a wired speedometer/odometer.) The Ortlieb is a bit on the large side for the things I want to take along on every ride, but it'll also hold a jacket and warmers when the weather's uncertain.

I've also got the Thorn auxiliary stem Tourist mentioned on one bike. If I were going to remove and replace, I'd consider removing that second stem with the mount still on it.
Old 05-18-21, 07:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
As for regular handlebar bags, I prefer ortlieb, but the arkel mount is an easier on/off system. You might want to look into them.
As said though, if you're going to be riding on very rough surfaces, bikepacking rolls etc will be better, but ive ridden with my ortlieb on roughish roads with no problems, but many factors play a part, tires , speed, surface...
Old 05-18-21, 08:44 AM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ortlieb, Arkel, Swift (Paloma) are all excellent.

Also try routewerks -- https://routewerks.us/collections/shop
Old 05-18-21, 03:31 PM
Noonievut

Thanks for the replies!

The gravel I’m on isn’t too bad, mostly similar to rail trails (crushed stone) but you never know when a road will have sections of wash board or have been recently graded.

I’m carefully thinking of the bags I’ll need and where to put them. I have a small frame bag that is 2.5L or so and doesn’t interfere at all with one of the bottle cages. I have a container for tools and things that goes on the third water bottle mount under the downtube. I already have a 15L seat bag but on this bike the saddle is consuming most of the rear part of the rails so I either need an adapter for larger width rails or a 0 offset seat post give more rail (that’s getting pricey). I’ve used the seat bag on other 2-3 day trips.

One day I’ll consider a bike for self supported touring / bikepacking but for now I’m just trying to squeeze in short adventures.
Old 05-18-21, 07:17 PM
djb

A traditional handle bar bag like an ortlieb has the advantage of super easy access to stuff, camera etc, and ease of taking off to always bring in with you for stores etc.
From what you describe of roads, I've ridden lots on similar with no issues. Bikepacking bags will be better for lots rougher.
Have fun researching options, costs, waterproofness (priority for me), ease of removal.
Ease also of mounting either paper maps or GPS units etc,

you've got lots of options, although covid has certainly screwed up actual availability, so you may be limited.
Old 05-19-21, 09:36 AM
djb

What's the widest tires you can safely put on that frame?
Are those on the bike in the 40mm range?
Old 05-19-21, 12:45 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by djb
What's the widest tires you can safely put on that frame?
Are those on the bike in the 40mm range?
42mm is the stated range. I have 40mm (tubeless) on there now and there is plenty more room.

After giving this more thought I'm probably going to skip a handlebar bag for my credit card touring purposes. With my 2.5L frame bag and a tool carrier under my downtube, if I add a S/M sized saddle bag...and maybe a 1L bolt-on bag for my top tube, I believe I can carry everything I would need (for 2-3 days at most, washing bike clothes where I'll be staying and drying them overnight). These rides are during the summer and I only need a change of clothes, cheap/light sandals, toiletries, and a few other small accessories. What I like about these rides is I leave from home, take many stops along the way (plenty of services for food/water), arrive kind of late and don't really need a lot. Simple adventure!
Old 05-19-21, 01:58 PM
djb

Righto, and if you decide you need more room, there are even some handlebar bracket things to allow strapping a drybag on horizontally, or even eghads, a light rear rack and light panniers.