Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New here looking for advise.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-17-21, 02:14 PM
bwilsonjvl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some advise as to what to do. I currently own a 2012 Trek 1.5 with less than 3000 miles on it. I have upgraded tires and tubes already and have also replace the bar tape, other than that it is factory stock. I currently don’t have the money to replace my bike at this time but was thinking about saving up and getting a new bike next year, I really enjoy riding but haven’t had the time up until now.
I will be mainly riding roads and bike paths. Would I be better off to get a new bike or should I keep what I have? If I keep what I have should I change/upgrade any thing or just keep it stock?
I don’t know exactly what kind of mileage I will be putting on a month but would like to be up in the area of regular 50-75+ mile rides almost weekly along with several others during the week ranging from 10-25 miles.

Thank you for any input you may have.
Old 06-17-21, 02:33 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
My vote is for keeping what you have. It's adequate for the job, if not the lightest and shiniest. Save your money for stepping up in overall quality for a whole new bike.

You might want to get a chain wear measuring tool, and keep track of the chain "stretch". 3000 miles isn't a lot for the original chain, but depending on how it was maintained, you could need a replacement chain soon. If you ignore it, you can wear out your cassette and front chainrings with a worn out chain, and replacing all that stuff is expensive. Get a new chain now and have it when you need it. You'll still wear out the rest of the drive train eventually, but it'll take two or three chains, replaced when each one wears out.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 06-17-21, 02:38 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
Unless something is broken or you are not comfortable with the way your bicycle rides than don't worry about a replacement right away. As you ride more you will gain experience and knowledge riding with others. From what I have seen it is more difficult than usual to find new bicycles currently. I started out on a bicycle not much different than what you have and found that it was a lousy ride on tank trails on the base. The tires wore out to quickly also. So my next purchase was a touring bike. I currently ride a touring bicycle with 2" wide tires. Being the hot season I do most of my riding at night or early morning. Its 110 degrees right now.
Old 06-17-21, 02:56 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Replace or Maintain

Welcome to Bike Forums.
I spent 2020 riding around on a 2011 bike. Did 2,000 miles on it.
Assuming your bike is not giving you terminal troubles, continue riding it.

If you've a hankering to spend some money in the bike dept..... Then some tools to assist with it's maintenance and upkeep would be a good place to start.
You might also learn some new skills along the way.

Drivetrain maintenance is a good place to start.
Chains stretch with age. A chain wear tool will allow you to determine if the chain has stretched past the usable limits.
Dricetrains also require a good cleaning.
The tool to remove the Cassette from the wheel (for cleaning) and a Torque wrench in order to replace the cassette correctly are good options.
You'll also want to remove the chain for cleaning.
Maybe your chain has a master link (quick disconnect), you'll need master link pliers.
Maybe you chain doesn't have a master link, you'll need a chain break tool.
If you do have to "break" the chain to remove it. Do consider using a master link for reassembly, makes things much easier.

Just some ideas. After all, if you were to purchase a new bike, the tools to maintain it are still required.
I couldn't imagine having to take my bike to a mechanic every time my chain needed a cleaning.

All the best

Barry
Old 06-17-21, 03:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
i have a similar ride, Trek 1.2 i bought new in 2007 or 8. i have replaced tires, brake pads, chains, RD, RD hanger, and most recently the bottom bracket. i've added clip on aero bars and that is it. i now put on about 6K mi/year. i am looking to get a new ride.

EDIT: i guess my point is that if it is functional just ride it.
Old 06-17-21, 03:38 PM
m21bmr

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet; 1992 Giant Rincon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would also agree with the keep what you've got crowd.

I bought my first road bike (a 2006 Lemond Tourmalet) last year used. To get something new that is comparable to your 2012 Trek 1.5, you'd have to spend $1000 or more. Those prices are crazy to me if your current bike doesn't have some major issue. Just keep the normal maintenance up and replace wear items (chain, tires, tubes, brake pads, etc.) as needed and ride it.

I looked at some other bikes after I found my bike, but I didn't see anything that even came close to making we want to buy anything new. Sure there are a few things nicer with a new bike over my 2006 version, but I'm really happy with my bike as it rides. I definitely don't see anything on "comparable" level new bikes that would justify spending about 3 times what my current bike cost.
Old 06-17-21, 11:11 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
The answer is always to buy a new bike, because new bikes are nice.

Will it make you faster? Possibly, depending on what you choose. An aero bike will make faster easier. If your current bike is in good condition, fits you well and is a joy to ride, then stick with it.

On the other hand, if you can afford a new modern road bike, then go for it!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-18-21, 05:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Save your money right now, ride what you have, and reevaluate next year when you see how much riding you're actually doing, what you'd want in a new bike, and you'll know whether the shortage is over. If you're enjoying what you're riding now, getting experience enough to know what you do and don't like is very valuable information.
Old 06-18-21, 05:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Keep it. It's a pretty darned good bike. A new bike may make no difference whatsoever in the longer rides you hope to make. If after you start riding those longer rides, you feel like you want a new one, then reward yourself. Maybe availability will be better by then.
Old 06-18-21, 06:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
As you are planning frequent and relatively long rides it would be worth considering your contact points ie shoes/pedals, clothing and saddle. Those can all potentially be make or break items once you start clocking up regular mileage.

Providing the fit is good and well maintained, I would rather ride an older bike in my most comfortable bike gear than a brand new $10k super-bike that left me sore and sweaty after 75 miles.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-21, 06:24 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilsonjvl
Looking for some advise as to what to do. I currently own a 2012 Trek 1.5 with less than 3000 miles on it. I have upgraded tires and tubes already and have also replace the bar tape, other than that it is factory stock. I currently don’t have the money to replace my bike at this time but was thinking about saving up and getting a new bike next year, I really enjoy riding but haven’t had the time up until now.
I will be mainly riding roads and bike paths. Would I be better off to get a new bike or should I keep what I have? If I keep what I have should I change/upgrade any thing or just keep it stock?
I don’t know exactly what kind of mileage I will be putting on a month but would like to be up in the area of regular 50-75+ mile rides almost weekly along with several others during the week ranging from 10-25 miles.

if the bike you have fits and is comfortable I’d stick with it and think about something new after you get lots of miles in. You will have a better idea of what you’d like different then.
Old 06-18-21, 06:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Advice.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-18-21, 09:04 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This bike is barely broken in. Ride the heck out of it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-18-21, 09:26 AM
bwilsonjvl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I tend to have a very impulsive purchasing quality about me and have been trying to make more informative decisions. I figured that a new bike probably wasn't going to the answer I would get but I have not really been following the bike world for a while so I wasn't sure what all has changed, I also wasn't sure if my equipment would be considered very low end or if it was in line with what I am looking to do with it.
I did do some research into the new bikes and did notice that to get some of the same equipment that I have currently I would be spending over $2000 on a new bike. This seemed a bit high to me considering that my bike was only around $1100-$1200 when I bought it but as with everything I am sure the prices went sky high.
I think I will first look into upgrading pedals and shoes as I am currently using mountain bike equipment and then put some money into tools and maintenance needs.
Getting a new bike can wait another year or two, if at that time I decide it's it the correct time to change things up I will do so. I have never really been unhappy with this bike and it has never let me down so I guess that is a good enough reason to keep it around for a while longer.
Thanks again.
Old 06-18-21, 09:31 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Yup

Originally Posted by caloso
This bike is barely broken in. Ride the heck out of it.
Just make sure you have tires appropriate for where you ride. Many have discovered that wider tires are comfortable and versatile. 28-38mm wide range is pretty good for most pavement and gravel roads. Measure to see what will fit. After you wear out the upgrades you already did, of course. A new bike isn't going to get you much, if any better results.
Old 06-18-21, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If it's the 50/34 front and 12-30 rear 10 speed that the Trek archive show, then you should be good for most anything paved.
https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...t_2012/details

If it takes you another almost ten years to put 3000 miles on it, then you might never get your legs use to the effort of riding rolling terrain and hills. Aim for at least 3000 miles per year.
Old 06-18-21, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could fit anything wider than 25mm tires on that bike, but that's fine for road and bike path.
Old 06-18-21, 01:46 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I tend to have a very impulsive purchasing quality about me and have been trying to make more informative decisions.... I have never really been unhappy with this bike and it has never let me down so I guess that is a good enough reason to keep it around for a while longer.
I applaud your trying to be a better version of you. Resisting impulsivity means to resist robbing your future self of some foreseeable or unforeseen benefit, only because your present self wanted it instead. Way to go!
Old 06-18-21, 02:13 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have a similar vintage Trek 2.3 which most likely is the same frame (carbon seat stays and fork) with slightly higher level componentry to your bike. I am looking for a modern endurance bike simply for the geometry/comfort benefits. That being said I am going to wait a year due to availability. I really don't need a new bike but would love to have one.

As it is I have been busy putting vintage 7900 series Dura Ace components on my bike. Just a front DR and shifters and a cassette and it will be full Dura Ace !! I actually like the factory Bontrager wheels but they may get upgraded soon. I get a real kick out of working on it.

Ride the crap out of the old trek and if you are really hooked treat yourself to something new.

ETA My bike is a 2009 ...Yikes time flies.

Last edited by Rdmonster69; 06-18-21 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 02:15 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts

Is there something wrong with the bike? I'd keep the bike if there is nothing wrong with it. Does it need an overhaul? I looked up the specs and from I can see it has good components on it. https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...t_2012/details

Clean it up really good, tune it up, overhaul it? You have to do what you think is best....
Old 06-18-21, 02:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Ride the bike that you have now.

After every ride, make a list of the things that you like about the bike that you have now and the things that you hate. If you do that, by the end of autumn you'll have a much better idea of what to look for in your next bike.
Old 06-18-21, 05:37 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
First plan for a new bike in the future. Year or two out. There are not many available now and you may settle on something because it’s available. Then in a couple of years get buyers remorse. Maintain and ride what you have. Sounds like a good fit with the distance you can ride. I have a 2005 Madone so yours is not old.

Anyway I’d go ahead and get a new chain and measure tool. Just to have when you need it.
Old 06-21-21, 12:19 PM
luckybiker

Bikes: Specialized ruby carbon, giant hydrid, electra ladies, Raleigh SA 5 spd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep what you have. Upgrade rotating weight when you can. You probable do not need a chain measuring tool. New chains will measure exactly 12 in rivet to rivet. More than 1/8 in and throw away the chain. They are shockingly cheap.
Old 06-21-21, 12:45 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I'd keep what you got, plans and actual implementation of them are two different things. I suggest you first start actualizing those plans on the current bike and take it from there.
Old 06-21-21, 07:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

You come to the right place, cyclist are very opinionated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.