Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My nearly maintenance free new bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 10:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
Interesting analogy. I'm the OP and I still enjoy doing my own oil changes and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Did oil changes on my 4 cars every 3000 miles for many years. Now down to 3 cars and have had enough of oil changes and let the garage handle it. One car could use an oil evacuator which made the job really easy, but that car is gone. Two cars have belly pans with multiple fasteners and it just turned into a pain, so no more. Still do oil changes on pressure washer and generator which is enough for me. Most of my cars were air cooled, necessitating frequent oil changes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-13-21, 05:00 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Did oil changes on my 4 cars every 3000 miles for many years. Now down to 3 cars and have had enough of oil changes and let the garage handle it. One car could use an oil evacuator which made the job really easy, but that car is gone. Two cars have belly pans with multiple fasteners and it just turned into a pain, so no more. Still do oil changes on pressure washer and generator which is enough for me. Most of my cars were air cooled, necessitating frequent oil changes.
I guess I'm just anal about oil changes because there are so many ways a technician can screw things up. Examples would be for them to over-tighten the filter or drain plug or to leave the filter or drain plug too loose. Also they could add too much or not enough oil. When I do it myself, I know it's done right and I don't have to give it another thought after I'm done.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 10-13-21, 07:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I guess I'm just anal about oil changes because there are so many ways a technician can screw things up. Examples would be for them to over-tighten the filter or drain plug or to leave the filter or drain plug too loose. Also they could add too much or not enough oil. When I do it myself, I know it's done right and I don't have to give it another thought after I'm done.
I know exactly where you are coming from. I wouldn’t think of going to a quick oil change place. Our cars only go to trusted repair facilities that I have know the owners personally for decades and know they stand behind everything they do. I know I am in qualified trusted hands, just like I would do it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-21, 12:00 PM
gregplo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm not going to get into all of the hubub about efficiency and drag and other commentary. I'll simply say it is a sweet looking ride, I really like the internal hub/drive belt concept, it is a bike I would love to ride, and I hope you get a ton of very happy miles on it! Enjoy.
Likes For gregplo:
Old 10-18-21, 12:15 PM
REV160

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Happy for you, man. Enjoy it.
Likes For REV160:
Old 10-18-21, 12:59 PM
tangent70

Bikes: State 4130 SS; Trek 7300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Nice bike
Likes For tangent70:
Old 10-18-21, 03:06 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
[QUOTE=Route 66;22266658]
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Maybe you'll look at things differently when you're 69 years old.
Yo, dude I'm about 6 months away from 69 (and I mean the age, not the...well...never mind...) I get out for ~50+ miles a week on my mtb and do normal maintenance abt every 2 weeks. Every 6 months or so I go a bit deeper doing the hub bearings and once a year the headset bearings. I've also trued my wheels a bit over the years. Change brakes, cassette, chainrings when necessary.

I enjoy the time. Yeah, I end up a bit greasy and grimy, but I like the sense of accomplishment (and the solitude). Of course, when I was younger (and more flexible...damn hidden oil filters...and electronics I used to maintain my cars fairly thoroughly, including rebuilding a few engines and transmissions.

So, take that you young "whippersnapper"!
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-18-21, 03:18 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
... No more cleaning and oiling a chain, adjusting a derailleur and hearing a chain ride the gears!...
So where's the fun in that?
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 10-18-21, 04:10 PM
Route 66

[QUOTE=stephr1;22274612]

Yo, dude I'm about 6 months away from 69 (and I mean the age, not the...well...never mind...) I get out for ~50+ miles a week on my mtb and do normal maintenance abt every 2 weeks. Every 6 months or so I go a bit deeper doing the hub bearings and once a year the headset bearings. I've also trued my wheels a bit over the years. Change brakes, cassette, chainrings when necessary.

I enjoy the time. Yeah, I end up a bit greasy and grimy, but I like the sense of accomplishment (and the solitude). Of course, when I was younger (and more flexible...damn hidden oil filters...and electronics I used to maintain my cars fairly thoroughly, including rebuilding a few engines and transmissions.

Well Young'un, off hand I'd say that you enjoy performing bike maintenance much more than I do. For me it's all about the ride and I can find many more things to do to occupy my time in my garage than wrenching on my bike. I do it when it needs to be done.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 10-18-21, 06:20 PM
stephr1

[QUOTE=Route 66;22274676]
Originally Posted by stephr1
Well Young'un, off hand I'd say that you enjoy performing bike maintenance much more than I do. For me it's all about the ride and I can find many more things to do to occupy my time in my garage than wrenching on my bike. I do it when it needs to be done.
I enjoy both, ride and maintenance. I also have a variety of interests, not all limited to my garage. Maybe since I'm retired I have that much more time to be able to enjoy the maintenance part as well in my "leisure time". Makes me wonder how I was able to do all this when I was working full time (high tech, 60-70 hours per week

Beer, wine, anything alcoholic is fine by me
Old 10-18-21, 08:42 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
[QUOTE=stephr1;22274612]

Hey I think you accidently quoted me on that. Technology is confusing for you old buzzards!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-18-21, 08:49 PM
Route 66

[QUOTE=Nachoman;22274974]
Hey I think you accidently quoted me on that. Technology is confusing for you old buzzards!
The last few posts have been out of whack as far as I can tell.
Old 10-18-21, 09:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Nice!

My year-round commuter and utility bike over the last 5 years has been a Priority 8, IGH belt drive, with full fenders and dynohub. As a utilitarian machine ready to go every day, whether in the west Texas desert or the rainy PNW, it has been solid.

With work from home I've been riding it a lot less, meanwhile started doing some CX. So I sold it and bought a CX bike to be combo CX/commuter. Heck lubricating the chain alone is going to be more maintenance than the whole Priority required. That was a conscious decision, but I might come to regret it.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-19-21, 09:18 AM
stephr1

[QUOTE=Nachoman;22274974]
Nope. Didn't do it accidentally. I believe the forum somehow attributed the quote about "69" to you in Route66's posting. However, apologies to you if you were offended because of the forum messing things up
Old 10-19-21, 09:43 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I wonder if such drivetrains can survive minor fall accidents without any damage?
No worse than a conventional chain drive. In fact, in a fall that would damage a chain ring, the pulley on a belt drive would probably be less likely to be damaged. There is also no rear derailleur to get damaged, or hanger to be bent. Anything can be damaged though. I don't think either drivetrain is something I worry about damaging in a minor fall though. IN the last 50 years of riding, I have yet to damage a drivetrain in a crash. It can be done though, obviously, and many have damaged theirs. The belt drive with internal gears would probably be harder to damage in a crash though.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-19-21, 09:46 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Beautiful bike! I love the smoothness of a belt drive. One day I will have one. Enjoy!
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-19-21, 12:21 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Nope. Didn't do it accidentally. I believe the forum somehow attributed the quote about "69" to you in Route66's posting. However, apologies to you if you were offended because of the forum messing things up
Apology not accepted. It sounded disingenuous and insincere.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-20-21, 09:16 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
FYI & FWIW here's a 9 year long, 847 post thread titled Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopi...2d9279be9a6875
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-25-21, 03:58 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I bought this bike about a month ago and I think I'm in love. I've been riding a bike for 60+ years and I was hoping to find one that didn't require all the usual maintenance. This is my Spot ACME belt drive bike. It's made in Colorado and has a Gates Carbon drive that's lasts four times as long as a conventional bike because the belt doesn't stretch the way a chain does. It also has a Shimano Alfine 11 speed shifter with the gears sealed inside the rear hub. Because it is belt driven and the gears aren't exposed, the bike is super quiet. The only routine maintenance needed is to do an oil change (50ml) on the rear hub every 7K miles. I'm as pleased as I can be with this thing. No more cleaning and oiling a chain, adjusting a derailleur and hearing a chain ride the gears!

The only improvement rhat you could add would be a Rohloff 14 speed!
Great bike.

Mike
Likes For RohloffRoller:
Old 10-25-21, 04:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I like that bike more every time I look at it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-25-21, 06:49 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by RohloffRoller
The only improvement rhat you could add would be a Rohloff 14 speed!
Great bike.

Mike
LOL thanks, right now 11 speeds are working for me but if I decide later on that I need more than that, it's good to know there's an option for it.
Old 10-25-21, 09:08 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Can you get a feel for how difficult it is to change a rear flat with the belt drive? Otherwise, I really like this bicycle. Christmas is coming!
Old 10-25-21, 09:35 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by themp
Can you get a feel for how difficult it is to change a rear flat with the belt drive?
Yeah, you'll see how it's done by watching this video. First it shows how to release the cable on the 11 speed hub until it reaches the 42 second mark and then it switches to releasing the cable on their 8 speed model. It then shows how to loosen the rear wheel and the belt. I had to watch it a few times until I realized that they were showing both the 11 speed and then the 8 speed hubs in this one video.

I hope this makes sense.
https://vimeo.com/90336573
Old 11-11-21, 03:00 PM
jhoff80

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I know it's obviously not the geometry of a road bike, and the tires are more gravel-oriented, but do you find it to be sluggish at all (especially if I was to switch out the tires)?

I was looking at the Priority 600 with the pinion drive, but the gearing and the weight of that one seem to make it slow according to some comments I've read. And the Apollo Gravel seems to be backordered until Q3 2022. This is about 6 pounds lighter than the 600 (but obviously less of a difference once I added the fenders in) and has slightly higher gearing (Max of 111.4 gear inches vs the 600 at 100.7), so I wonder if that's less of an issue here.

I would be using this in an urban environment for commuting and recreation, but I do like to go fast when I can. I think I'd prefer flat-bar anyway (again, due to a city), so I'd probably be a little limited in how aero I could get anyway.
Old 11-11-21, 06:02 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by jhoff80
do you find it to be sluggish at all (especially if I was to switch out the tires)?
Sluggishness compared to what? I'm still on the tires that came with the ACME so I can't make a meaningful comparison to any other tires but I'm sure a good road tire with low rolling resistance would allow me to pedal more efficiently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.