Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frame Scratch

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Frame Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 02:22 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Frame Scratch

My frame got scratched. I'm not sure how it happened to be honest because I'm super careful. I don't see it from far but a bit close and it's obvious. Let it be? Or are there easy fixes?

Old 09-04-21, 08:15 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Some of that may come out with some rubbing compound and a buffer. Some of it is through the clear coat. The problem I have had in the past is finding touch up paint to match it. Some people use fingernail polish. Look up some how- to videos on You tube. There are plenty of them. Or a body shop may be able to fix it.
Old 09-04-21, 08:59 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Trust me... Learn to live with it. I don't beat my bikes to death and in fact I try to be very careful with them. But worrying about scratches is not something I'm going to let get in the way of enjoying them.

Old 09-04-21, 09:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Nail polish is the cheap and easy way, can dab on, it won't be flat but won't stand out. Only way to remove it would be to get actual touchup paint, lightly wet sand the surface to smooth it out. Paint several light layers into the scratches than gently wet sand with 2000 grit paper. Spray a little clear over the top and wet sand again. Focus on only sanding the immediate spots when starting, a little bigger then sanding the newly painted and a little bigger when doing the clear to feather the paint in.
My favorite solution, I had bug stickers for my first bike I bought that every time I scratched or chipped the paint I put a bug on it, had space themed stickers for the mtn bike. Adds character and hides the spots.
Old 09-04-21, 11:04 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I have used fingernail polish before. There are many colors and shades.
Old 09-05-21, 05:33 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Stop it with the paint, go bare naked titanium, brushed finish. Scratches will become a thing of the past for you. Otherwise, just go with the flow. Its a bike, you use it, it will get scratches.
Old 09-05-21, 05:53 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
My frame got scratched. I'm not sure how it happened to be honest because I'm super careful. I don't see it from far but a bit close and it's obvious. Let it be? Or are there easy fixes?

It appears that it's been intentionally done . Scratches you made while riding or if you dropped the bike don't go in different directions . Unless your chain is slapping all over the place . WHich seems unlikely . It could have also happened on a Bike rack transporting it with another bike . That Bikes pedal scratched your bike . The more I look at it . That seems to be the culprit . Of course just a guess . On a good note it won't rust . I would take the suggestion to just polish it up . Trying to color it back in will make it look worse .