Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are older rider cheating with electric motors or am I losing wattage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are older rider cheating with electric motors or am I losing wattage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 09:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ 50 they're probably as old as the OP's Father..
and that's really embarrassing,
To be, dropped by your dad, when you are a teenager.
Old 10-20-18, 09:35 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm 54, and I get passed by riders older than me. At least for men, our best chance of gaining muscle is when we're younger, so at my age I assume it's going to be an uphill battle, but one that's worth pursuing anyway.
Old 10-20-18, 09:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Well, sorry, I didn't mean to insult you when I passed. I'm an old fart who rides an ebike, I've passed a few guys on hills. I typically use the assist for hills and not much more, it depends on the length of the ride, wind and my time. So, we're not cheating, were gaining nothing by passing you, we're just out having a ride, else we'd probably be sitting in our recliners watching TV instead of riding. I don't post on Strava, or brag about my times or claim it was 'all me'.
Don't you feel bad using the assist to pass other riders, vs. just hanging back?
Old 10-20-18, 10:10 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Don't you feel bad using the assist to pass other riders, vs. just hanging back?
Not when there is room to pass easily and they are climbing as slowly as I used to climb before I got an ebike.
Old 10-20-18, 10:11 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You have to ask yourself something. Would Chuck Norris ride an electric motor assisted bike? Well, no. He would not. And he's 78 years old.
Old 10-20-18, 10:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by lazyass
you have to ask yourself something. Would chuck norris ride an electric motor assisted bike? Well, no. He would not. And he's 78 years old.
ftw!
Old 10-20-18, 10:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You have to ask yourself something. Would Chuck Norris ride an electric motor assisted bike? Well, no. He would not. And he's 78 years old.
No man.. Chuck Norris would not ride any bike up a hill. He would look at it hard and the hill would bow down.
Old 10-20-18, 11:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Old 10-20-18, 11:25 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I'm 67, and ride at a fair pace. A group of 4 of us were riding a hilly MUP a few days ago. We were (or thought we were) doing well on the hills. Then we all got passed like we were standing still. Just a bit later, while we were going down a hill, the same rider was coming up that hill, flying. And the rider didn't appear that old-didn't look like he would have needed an e-bike. Worse, it was one of the new fat-tire bikes, and had a radio (or MP3) playing wide open on the MUP. Talk about ruining a serene ride. I don't have anything against e-bikes, if you need one, but using one just so you can fly along while blasting music way too loud, hope it isn't a trend.
Old 10-20-18, 11:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you are indeed overweight, then I know of too many 50+ riders to count (and even 60+) that would crush you on a climb.
Old 10-20-18, 11:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I rode a 373 mile ride last weekend, and almost everyone on it was well into their 50's, and many in their 60's. A person that has been riding their bike constantly will start to slow down a little in their late 70's depending on life circumstances.
Old 10-20-18, 02:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
I don't so much mind getting passed by other riders. It's getting passed by the joggers while I'm doing a climb.
+1. I was pacing half marathon riders. It's really pretty easy as at best they usually average 13mph, but when we came to a fairly long and steep hill I was passed by the lead runner. To be fair, I had my touring bike and plenty of gear with me but just let me say, good runners are fast up steep hills.
Old 10-20-18, 02:07 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
You're losing wattage. Man up.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-20-18, 02:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Comparing your performance against people who are not racing is silly. Are they giving 50%, or going into the red? You don't know. How have they trained? You don't know.

Anyway, age is pretty meaningless well into the 60s for most non competitive cyclists.
Old 10-20-18, 02:22 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Cheating who? If it's not an official race, how could it be cheating? It's just a guy riding an e-bike.
Old 10-20-18, 02:39 PM
Kryten41

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe they were on Harleys--what did their bikes sound like?
Old 10-20-18, 03:33 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I'm 67, and ride at a fair pace. A group of 4 of us were riding a hilly MUP a few days ago. We were (or thought we were) doing well on the hills. Then we all got passed like we were standing still. Just a bit later, while we were going down a hill, the same rider was coming up that hill, flying. And the rider didn't appear that old-didn't look like he would have needed an e-bike. Worse, it was one of the new fat-tire bikes, and had a radio (or MP3) playing wide open on the MUP. Talk about ruining a serene ride. I don't have anything against e-bikes, if you need one, but using one just so you can fly along while blasting music way too loud, hope it isn't a trend.
Was that stretch closed to the public?

Do you not think you guys were more an intrusion on his moment..?

The selfishness in your post is ironic, really.
Old 10-20-18, 03:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've thought about trying out a TT.

But, those old Geezers just CRUISE!!!

My goal is to hit 24 miles in an hour.

That is pretty fast. I have troubles holding 24 MPH for a half a mile!!!

It is amazing looking at the "Masters" speeds vs the younger riders. The speeds don't fall off much in the early 50's, and maybe through the 60's. It isn't until the 70's that the riders start really slowing down.
Old 10-20-18, 05:51 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've thought about trying out a TT.

But, those old Geezers just CRUISE!!!

My goal is to hit 24 miles in an hour.

That is pretty fast. I have troubles holding 24 MPH for a half a mile!!!

It is amazing looking at the "Masters" speeds vs the younger riders. The speeds don't fall off much in the early 50's, and maybe through the 60's. It isn't until the 70's that the riders start really slowing down.
I assume you mean on a flat road?

I don't think I can even get to 24 so you are past me. Best I can mange is 20mph on a flat surface. But I can hold that for a pretty good distance. The problem is a flat road for more than a mile or so is an awful tall order around here.
Old 10-20-18, 06:25 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
OP - do you ride a Litespeed Vortex?
Old 10-20-18, 06:27 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by spinnaker
I assume you mean on a flat road?

I don't think I can even get to 24 so you are past me. Best I can mange is 20mph on a flat surface. But I can hold that for a pretty good distance. The problem is a flat road for more than a mile or so is an awful tall order around here.
The local TT course is just pancake flat.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12146625

What looks like hills on Strava... just aren't.

It does, however, get some brutal winds. And, unfortunately not cyclones, so one direction (frequently the first northbound leg) is heading directly into the wind. Which means the return leg may have some wind advantage.

Start List and Results ? Revenge Cycling & Promotions

It looks like the April race was a little slower, but the "Championship" race is just dang fast.

https://kenny-graham-lsjb.squarespace...mp-Results.pdf

With the Masters Men, 65 to 69, one person finished in less than an hour. And, a bunch of them finished in less than an hour in all the Master's categories from age 35 on up.

In fact, a few of the Master's riders would have beaten number 6&7 of the Cat 1/2 riders.

I just can't get close to that. If I'm lucky, I think I could do it at 20 MPH. Maybe. Which would put me at 1:12 or so... and down at the bottom of my category.
Old 10-20-18, 06:55 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I was riding at a medium pace up a steep hill then out of nowhere these two at least fifty something couple totally blew past me.
I had a grandma blow past me on a hill and I knew there was no way. And yes, it was a blow to my male ego, and what of it?
I am still trying to figure out if they were aided by motors or not all the way home. I know I am fat but I am now in much better shape but these people look too old to be this strong. This has never happened to me before.
What's even more insidious are the bikes with those hidden motors. In any event, if you aim is a recreation or basic transportation then go for the electric bike. If I were a tourist I might rent one to tour the city. But I wouldn't call it exercise anymore than I would a walking tour.
Originally Posted by flyjimmy
OMG 50 you say and going fast? No way. They must have motors.
Stop it. We know it possible, but still rare.
Old 10-20-18, 07:01 PM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I don't understand is why the E bike riders around here wear so much cologne and perfume? Whoee it stinks when I grab their wheel... But then again there have been a few Clydesdale's pass me that I couldn't keep that same wheel bc they were faster than the ebikes. I'm in the 55 plus age bracket. And I'm a wheel sucker and thanks to all faster than I 😏👍🏻 but could you please be more considerate of those who have chemical sensitivities? Cut back the fragrance it reeks. ☣️

Last edited by MobiBike; 10-20-18 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Delete gif
Old 10-20-18, 07:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by KraneXL
What's even more insidious are the bikes with those hidden motors.
I doubt they are very common. Yes, a few. But for example I have yet to find a Vivax Assist pop up on E-Bay. Not continuous looking, but occasionally checking it out, or looking at history.

And, the E-Bikers just don't seem to want that boost to get up the one hill, then done.

Not saying they don't exist, but most of the e-bikes I've seen have either an enormous hub, or an enormous bottom bracket, or other visible motor & battery.

And, I'm just not going to believe that I'm getting passed by E-Bikes I can't identify.
Old 10-20-18, 07:20 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I had a grandma blow past me on a hill and I knew there was no way. And yes, it was a blow to my male ego, and what of it?What's even more insidious are the bikes with those hidden motors. In any event, if you aim is a recreation or basic transportation then go for the electric bike. If I were a tourist I might rent one to tour the city. But I wouldn't call it exercise anymore than I would a walking tour.

Stop it. We know it possible, but still rare.
An in shape 50 year old passing a fat kid is rare? Too funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.