Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

1st Time Riding an E-bike, tried one out.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 03:03 PM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

I had read about these before, but never saw one.
Over the weekend I drove to the closest decent sized bike shop to me (I live out in the sticks) and checked out a few bikes. I went in just to look and kill some time and as I was checking out what they had, they almost insisted that I ride a few. I told them I did not feel right riding all their bikes as I knew I wasn't buying. They said thats OK, maybe next time you buy a bike, you'll remember us and come here...

The I rode a 22" BMX, 3-4 Mountain and Gravel Bikes then an E-Bike. Not sure of the brand, but it was pretty cool.... I rode it around the lot a few times then when up a big hill that exits the lot and gets you back on the main roads. I could not believe how easy it was to crank up that hill. I mean I'm 46, over weight and out of shape (but working on it, hence the getting back into bikes) and I was cranking up that hill at 20+ Mph.... I know I had a smile on my face that was about 4" wider than my cheeks!!! I loved it...

I've heard a lot of folks knocking them, but I say don't knock it till you've tried it. It was a lot of fun.
Likes For smullen:
Old 09-17-19, 03:35 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
And the ebike will make you want to ride it. It won't sit in the corner of the garage, mocking you, mocking your lack of muscle, mocking your fat out-of-shape, age damaged body. Not at all. It will entice you to sit in the saddle and go for a little tootle down the road, happy to lend a helping hand when you get tired. It will be foregiving, non judgemental, and act like your cycling BFF, eager to share with you the open roads or trails.

And suddenly you'll find yourself smiling all the time. The breeze in your hair, the swift wheels under your feet, the roads and trails speeding along almost effortlessly as each day you pedal and pedal and pedal until you realize ...good Lord, you're getting GREAT exercise!!! The weight starts to come off, the rides become a bit longer each time as you start exploring your increasing fitness, and the bike never lets you down. It is always there to help you when the hills are steep, when the headwinds are blowing. It flattens the terrain, and moves the wind to your back, and whispers "do you want to keep going?" And your answer, until you are honestly ready to turn towards home, is always "yes, please!!"

An ebike will become a terrific best friend, and one that will ensure you enjoy your journey back into health and fitness.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 09-17-19, 04:28 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
Over the weekend I drove to the closest decent sized bike shop to me (I live out in the sticks) and checked out a few bikes. I went in just to look and kill some time and as I was checking out what they had, they almost insisted that I ride a few. I told them I did not feel right riding all their bikes as I knew I wasn't buying. They said thats OK, maybe next time you buy a bike, you'll remember us and come here...

The I rode a 22" BMX, 3-4 Mountain and Gravel Bikes then an E-Bike. Not sure of the brand, but it was pretty cool.... I rode it around the lot a few times then when up a big hill that exits the lot and gets you back on the main roads. I could not believe how easy it was to crank up that hill. I mean I'm 46, over weight and out of shape (but working on it, hence the getting back into bikes) and I was cranking up that hill at 20+ Mph.... I know I had a smile on my face that was about 4" wider than my cheeks!!! I loved it...

I've heard a lot of folks knocking them, but I say don't knock it till you've tried it. It was a lot of fun.
Great to hear that you had a fun experience on the e-bike. If you are serious about buying make sure you do your research - lots to know before you plunk down the cash. IMO -Most important is a name-brand motor and a name-brand battery from a shop that will be able to do warranty work if necessary - and make sure the bike fits you properly.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-19, 04:33 PM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Great to hear that you had a fun experience on the e-bike. If you are serious about buying make sure you do your research - lots to know before you plunk down the cash. IMO -Most important is a name-brand motor and a name-brand battery from a shop that will be able to do warranty work if necessary - and make sure the bike fits you properly.

Good luck!
I liked it and I could see owning one in the future, but not for a few years...

I want to pay off some more debts and let the ebike technology mature a bit more...

Also hoping maybe they'll come down in price some... Not holding my breath though...

I do agree with everything you said...

I see a lot of Negative comments on the Ebikes, I really just wanted too share a positive experience...
Old 09-17-19, 09:11 PM
MikeDD

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you want to learn about e-bikes, go to Electric Bike Review and the forums.
Likes For MikeDD:
Old 09-18-19, 09:20 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Depending on where you live, you can offset some car trips with an ebike. Calculate the savings on gas, wear n tear/maintenance and you can figure out how quickly the bike will pay for itself.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-23-19, 12:44 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
And the ebike will make you want to ride it. It won't sit in the corner of the garage, mocking you, mocking your lack of muscle, mocking your fat out-of-shape, age damaged body. Not at all. It will entice you to sit in the saddle and go for a little tootle down the road, happy to lend a helping hand when you get tired. It will be foregiving, non judgemental, and act like your cycling BFF, eager to share with you the open roads or trails.

And suddenly you'll find yourself smiling all the time. The breeze in your hair, the swift wheels under your feet, the roads and trails speeding along almost effortlessly as each day you pedal and pedal and pedal until you realize ...good Lord, you're getting GREAT exercise!!! The weight starts to come off, the rides become a bit longer each time as you start exploring your increasing fitness, and the bike never lets you down. It is always there to help you when the hills are steep, when the headwinds are blowing. It flattens the terrain, and moves the wind to your back, and whispers "do you want to keep going?" And your answer, until you are honestly ready to turn towards home, is always "yes, please!!"

An ebike will become a terrific best friend, and one that will ensure you enjoy your journey back into health and fitness.
Awesome reply, love it!
Old 09-25-19, 02:03 PM
Dan1962

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree don't knock it till you try it! I love riding ebikes.
Old 09-29-19, 11:48 AM
Alphonsus

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike

I plan on buying a ebike, especially since I do have like a knee problem which get me tired quickly anytime I bike! The only thing with me is the price as well as aesthetic. I have decided I'll spend less than 3k given I'm 19 need to start saving up since I also save the money I make to investments. However, I do realize my bike will last probably 6 or 8 years before better technology will make it worth buying a new one. Only thing with 3k or less is they aren't always aesthetically good looking or look like a normal bike. Although my primary focus should be trying one out in store to get the actual feel of it.
Old 09-29-19, 12:34 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
I plan on buying a ebike, especially since I do have like a knee problem which get me tired quickly anytime I bike! The only thing with me is the price as well as aesthetic. I have decided I'll spend less than 3k given I'm 19 need to start saving up since I also save the money I make to investments. However, I do realize my bike will last probably 6 or 8 years before better technology will make it worth buying a new one. Only thing with 3k or less is they aren't always aesthetically good looking or look like a normal bike. Although my primary focus should be trying one out in store to get the actual feel of it.
Just check out the Rad Power Bikes at: https://www.radpowerbikes.com

Most of the models there start at around $1,500, and look for the most part like "normal bikes". They also have very good reviews. The only caveat is that since they are a "direct to consumer" seller, there are no demo models at your local bike shop to test ride unless you live in or near Seattle, WA where they actually do have a brick and mortar store location.

Good luck to you and kudos for the fact that at the age of 19, you are already planning for your future by investing a portion of your money. 👍
Old 09-29-19, 03:16 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
If you're 19, maybe you should spend that money on medical care/physical therapy and do something about your knee. If you start out that young with issues, and ignore them, they will come back and get you as you get older. Put your physical health and conditioning ahead of your desire for an e bike.
Old 09-29-19, 07:30 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Thumbs up

It seems somewhat universal that once someone rides a nice e-bike they have an OMG! moment. We've had a least one e-bike in the garage for 5 years, even though our road bikes get use 80% of the time the e-bike is a must have when looking at a long, hilly ride when suffering isn't the objective. Ride on!