Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Budget gps unit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Budget gps unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 11:20 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
I like GPS and use it quite a lot.
I don't think the Track data in any GPS we are likely to use would be a)detailed enough b)accurate enough c) secure enough to be useful in 'accident reconstruction' for the courts.
I can testify that such GPS records are standard discovery items in legal cases involving traffic accidents. The limitations and integrity of the data are well-understood and part of the review process, and they do get challenged.

It's the same kind of evidence as phone records and black boxes in trucks... all part of the big picture.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-10-21, 12:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Be aware that the accuracy of GPS speed readings is highly dependent on a clear view of the sky and the number of satellites that are currently above the horizon. Also, readings are slightly delayed because the speed is based on the calculation distance/time for the prior two readings. This is not a signficant issue in wide open country with no trees, buildings or hills, but can be wildly inaccurate if there are a lot of those features. In any case, a phone can substitute for a GPS unit for most folks...that's what I use for the most part. The main issue that people have with using a phone is battery life, a problem that can be resolved with a cheap "lipstick" battery.
Yeah the head unit wont track well under a canopy, but once the ride ends and uploads, avg speed matches reality.
The head unit could say 8-15mph for an hour, but if I ride 19mph it will show that once the ride is done because it takes the actual time and distance into account.

In addition to speed being slightly delayed, so is climb for the same reason.
Old 06-10-21, 12:10 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
The one thing I don't want is wires wrapped around my fork that why I think
the units from Lezyne or XOSS might be best for me
I had a quick look online a few weeks ago and wired units aren't very common (if available at all) so 'wireless' is the way to go now. More batteries, more digital handshaking, etc etc...
Old 06-10-21, 12:30 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
It seems everything is 'phone-centric' nowadays, but using a $1000 (non-rugged, non-waterproof) device with a battery life in hours for a simple task doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe you're running an obsolete phone. All iPhones and many other brands have been waterproof for years. Also, you can get them for much less than $1,000. Battery life can be an issue, though I find that setting the phone on low power mode will get me through an 8 hour ride no problem. Also, a cheap lipstick battery can make it last for days. I agree that they're not rugged without a case, but most of us use cases. For comparison, my buddy's Garmin has a smashed screen from a very minor mishap. Also, consider that most folks already have their phone with them when they go riding, so it is no big deal to just turn on an app like Strava to have it record your location and speeds.
Old 06-10-21, 12:53 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
The one thing I don't want is wires wrapped around my fork that why I think
the units from Lezyne or XOSS might be best for me
If you get one of these units, I would be interested in your experience. Also, I think that one of the advantages of using an inexpensive GPS over a bike computer is that it is much easier to use the GPS with different bikes if you have more than one bike. While there are some bike computers that can accommodate multiple bikes, they have to be configured for the different wheel sizes and if you forget to make that switch on your bike computer, it will display incorrect information.

To concur with previous posts in this thread, one of the disadvantages of GPS is that you can occasionally lose signal. A couple of weeks ago I rode through the Snoqualmie tunnel near Seattle, which is 2.3 miles long, and I lost GPS coverage through the entire tunnel. However, I consider this to be a minor inconvenience.
Old 06-10-21, 12:57 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Maybe you're running an obsolete phone. All iPhones and many other brands have been waterproof for years.
Off-topic,so I won't argue this further than to say:
Water resistant and waterproof are different things.
When Apple warranties phones against water damage, I will believe that they are waterproof....and Apple hasn't done that yet.
Old 06-10-21, 03:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I can testify that such GPS records are standard discovery items in legal cases involving traffic accidents. The limitations and integrity of the data are well-understood and part of the review process, and they do get challenged.

It's the same kind of evidence as phone records and black boxes in trucks... all part of the big picture.
Agreed, but I know of three instances where the data was successful in helping win the day, I didn't save the sources but one was a $4k damage claim, 1 serious injury and 1 death. Paired with video evidence and anything else like forensics and witness reports, it can be the final nail, sometimes on its own as it was in the damage claim.

One of the other big things can be helmet and lights even if the law where you are does not require them, they can help with them and hurt without them.

If you have them the insurance company won't be able to victim blame you by saying "you SHOULD have been using them anyway, cycling is dangerous", which they often do.

Some medical insurance companies won't or will try not to cover you without a helmet also even if not required by law so same thing there, you need all the defense and leverage you can have when it goes horribly wrong or otherwise.
Old 06-10-21, 03:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I like GPS and use it quite a lot.
I don't think the Track data in any GPS we are likely to use would be a)detailed enough b)accurate enough c) secure enough to be useful in 'accident reconstruction' for the courts.
Detail: How close are the track points?
Accuracy: Individual positions can be inaccurate but tend to get smoothed out as the track points accumulate.
About security: track data in a .gpx file can easily be edited.

My advice: Stop at stop signs and red lights and don't assume others will do the same. Try to ride on roads that have paved width for a bike.
It's a risky world and we are defenceless on our bikes.
Wrong on both counts,

I know of three instances where the data was successful in helping win the day, I didn't save the sources but one was a $4k damage claim, 1 serious injury and 1 death. Paired with video evidence and anything else like forensics and witness reports, it can be the final nail, sometimes on its own as it was in the damage claim.

We/I am not defenseless, vulnerable, yes, defenseless, no.

Defensive driving is the same no matter what you are driving/riding. If you pay attention, many problems on the road can be avoided by being vigilant, skilled and astute.

Helmet, GPS, cameras and multiple lights, front and rear, 24/7, period.
Old 06-10-21, 03:51 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't know if you still have this, but ever since Wahoo scared the crap out of Garmin by introducing devices that work (how novel), it has been worthwhile to hook your Garmin up to a computer and update it occasionally. I take old rides off at the end of the year. I got rid of my 800, but there hadn't been a decent update in many years and then they pushed one through that fixed a lot of stuff. I had not been updating it because I was afraid they would mess something up. I'm a lot less worried about that now.

I have a garmin watch, but it's a little awkward to use it as a bike computer, so I have never done it. I have thought about it just for the novelty of it.
Same here, mine still has the total mileage in it so I haven't tried anything else since I got the 520 for riding. Its funny with eyes going slowly bad that the 130 was easier to see than the 520, not that big of a deal since I don't watch it that much.
Old 06-10-21, 05:21 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
When Apple warranties phones against water damage, I will believe that they are waterproof....and Apple hasn't done that yet.
Why would they do that? You're asking for the absurd. I don't think that there are any electronic devices out that have "waterproof" ratings. They all have various water resistance ratings, with the iPhones typically rated IP67, which I think means no water entry at 1 meter depth for 30 minutes. They won't warranty them because they can get water ingress if you go deeper (with no way to evaluate that) or if they are subject to a high pressure jet, or if you disassemble then reassemble the phone (i.e. to change the screen).

Last edited by davester; 06-10-21 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 06:09 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
I ended up getting the XOSS G+ Amazon had a $13 coupon so it cost me $39 plus change. I figured I couldn’t go wrong for that price
Likes For robertj298:
Old 06-10-21, 06:14 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by DiabloScott

I assume you have seen it make the case both ways as well?
Old 06-10-21, 07:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My latest phone has proved more water resistant than previous ones, but perhaps I'm being more careful. That said, the touch screen is totally useless in the rain. I had a catastrophic mechanical failure about 50 miles into a brevet a couple years ago, and I had to call for a ride. Well, I couldn't call for a ride until I got out of the rain! Pain in the *****.

To GPS, I have a Bryton 530, already mentioned in this thread. It's a bit wonky but once I got to know it it's been pretty reliable. I've used it in a lot of terrible weather and it has proven, so far, as close to waterproof as I needed it to be. Battery life is also excellent; good enough for 380 km or so... which is great, right until the last 20 km of a 400k, that is. You can charge it while it's navigating. I was on one ride where my riding partner had a Garmin of some sort and I had my Bryton, and both were losing GPS signal occasionally, but not at the same time; so between the two different platforms, we were able to stay on route. There came a point, however, where our route was blocked and we had to reroute; my Bryton is totally useless for that. His Garmin told us exactly where to go, and we were back on our route in a few miles. I have no regrets about the Bryton, but when the time comes to replace it, brand loyalty will not be on my mind.
Old 06-10-21, 08:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This does not use GPS to calculate speed?
The XOSS G+ can use GPS by default to estimate speed. Or it can use a speed sensor mounted on the wheel if one is available. I've done both and there's very little difference between the two.

A wheel sensor may be somewhat more accurate for short segments and might be preferable for KOM/PR attempts, sprint workouts, short loops, interval sessions, etc.

The most accurate speed sensor is a wired version with wheel size calibration, but I don't know of any GPS computer that offers this option.
Old 06-10-21, 08:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I ended up getting the XOSS G+ Amazon had a $13 coupon so it cost me $39 plus change. I figured I couldn’t go wrong for that price
You really don't need a speed sensor to start out with. It's an interesting option but I don't see much difference in speed or distance calculations whether I'm using GPS or a speed sensor on the wheel.

I do use cadence sensors for some workouts. But the only sensor I consider a must is a heart rate sensor to help guide my workout intensity. Especially this time of year when I'm struggling to regain heat adaptation for Texas summers. My recent workouts show uncharacteristic heart rate spikes and high average HR, so I'm taking it much easier on my rides and running sessions for now.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-10-21, 08:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimmerMike
On my newer bikes I use the Garmin 520. I've had it for 6 or 7 years now. For the vintage bikes I like to keep the electronics off the bike so I use a Garmin Fenix watch. The watch does everything I want, plus it's good for swimming, so it's a single solution to a few "problems" I percieved.
I'm glad I'm not the only one doing that. For my newer bike, I like my Garmin Edge and the connectivity it has with speed and cadence sensors as well as my lights and it looks good with the Blendr mount on my stem. But on my older bikes, I like to log my miles with Strava too so my Forerunner does that well without cluttering up my handlebars. When I look down at my stem and handlebars, It looks like what I saw in 1981 except some old man's hands are where mine should be.

Last edited by Chuck M; 06-10-21 at 08:52 PM.
Likes For Chuck M: