Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpack with the BEST STRAPS?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-21, 10:09 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts

Been commuting for 20 years on drop bar road bikes with the last 15 years being a 35 -40 mile round trip 4 days a week. I used a daypack for years and was happy. Then went to a Carradice Barely for years and was happy. Then got tired of squishing my lunch in the Carradice with my clothes and put a Rando lunchbox on a front rack. When that got to be annoying to pack and unpack and moving work stuff to another bag for the day I drive, I have gone back to backpack. The straps were annoying so I installed a rear rack with a basket to put the pack in. This latest set up is ok ... but carrying the bike upstairs to my classroom is no fun and fixing a rear flat last week with all that weight was work.

I like the simplicity of putting Whatever I need for the day in a pack and then putting it on my back and getting on my bike or in my car and off I go.

So, I'm looking for back pack recommendations.

1. I do do not care about a sweaty back.
2. I want straps that disappear when the pack is on my back and I'm in the drops.
3. 15-20 liters
4. Pockets or not.
5. I don't do bladders.

Thanks.

The Banjo Brothers Metro looks promising.
Old 10-23-21, 04:21 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
From my experience, browse the Osprey offerings that best fit your needs. Osprey's the best when it comes to backpacks, IME/IMO.
Old 10-23-21, 06:24 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by well biked
From my experience, browse the Osprey offerings that best fit your needs. Osprey's the best when it comes to backpacks, IME/IMO.
ok. My kids use Ospreys for backpacking and day hikes and luv them. But how do they do when you put 10-15 pounds in them and pedal while in the drops with a headwind for 20 miles twice a day 4 days a week?
Old 10-24-21, 08:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Classtime I have one drop bar bike without a back rack. I've commuted to work and ridden it for years with a few different backpacks (mostly two both 30L). What works for me is to leave the straps long and let the back rest on the small of my back. It seems like the back would fall off to the left or right, but the straps usually come into play before that happens. In the winter months the packs would be heavy with office clothes and sweaters, plus tools, batteries, etc. The last two main backpacks have been this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...-improved.html
Old 10-29-21, 03:06 PM
Classtime 

OP here. I'm back to my old backpack. Using the straps very long and that helps. I weighed it yesterday:10 lbs.
Old 11-07-21, 03:57 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I agree with Well Biked above that Osprey makes excellent backpacks that are very comfortable. I use a mirror that attaches to my glasses and sometimes the pack blocks my rear view. You may want to consider a messenger bag. I find that they truly 'disappear' once riding (a bit less so off the bike). Chrome bags are excellent in my opinion.
Old 11-07-21, 04:08 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Recently got a Chrome Industries rolltop backpack. So nice! And super comfortable.
Probably the nicest backpack I’ve ever had.
Old 11-07-21, 04:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Lets see... Weight low on the back to take weight off shoulders and keep center of gravity low. Needs to be not too big but expandable if needed. It should also have the ability to have attachments as needs for different ridding tasks. Hummmmm.... Think I have seen something like this before... Some of us wish we could forget...

No really its just the concept of being able to carry gear as needed. I have an old Kelty back pack with comfortable straps that was trashed when dropped off a cliff. I took the pack and cut it down length wise so that it is 4" wide at the top and 10" wide at the butt. It has a waist strap. What ever I put in the top settles to the bottom. Kinda tear dropped shaped from the side. I would post a picture but its one of those things I lent my son and will probably never get back cause it works... Ha