Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good pedal power meter for Zwift?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-08-21, 12:58 PM
Dan Flashes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts

This winter I am going to try Zwift for the first time to decrease boredom during indoor training. But, I use rollers and not a smart trainer, so I was thinking about getting a pedal power meter to link with Zwift. Which one would you recommend for Zwift? I am looking for something that is reliable but not necessarily the most high-end. There are many that are compatible (according to the Zwift website), but I am not experience with any of them. Thank you!
Old 11-08-21, 01:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
My Assioma Duos are great.
Likes For himespau:
Old 11-08-21, 01:41 PM
ckelly_22

Bikes: Giant Contend AR 4, Specialized Crossroads 2.0, Quintana Roo Kilo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
second assioma duos, i used these with a kinetic road machine before i got my saris h3. the best part is you can have one set of pedals and use them as your powermeter on all of your bikes.
Likes For ckelly_22:
Old 11-08-21, 02:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Another cool thing about Favero is that you can swap $90 SPD pedal bodies onto the axles in about 10 minutes, which is great if you need that kind of versatility. I swap seasonally between road and MTB shoes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-08-21, 03:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
For Zwift, you'll want whatever model most consistently over-reports your wattage
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-08-21, 03:35 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Yes it's been said, but just for extra confirmation: Assioma Duos!

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For Zwift, you'll want whatever model most consistently over-reports your wattage
You mean, like using 170mm cranks but setting the crank length in the powermeter app to 200mm? I mean, who would do such a thing...

(not me, but yeah, that skews power upwards)
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 11-08-21, 06:29 PM
Dan Flashes

Thanks! They are a little more than I wanted to spend, but I’ll give them a try.
Old 11-09-21, 01:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
You could pick up some Powertap pedals used off of flea-bay. There is a refurbished set in functional condition for $225, $300 buy it now. & a way better looking set of P1 for $499.

Used, of course. But, cheaper than the above mentioned Assioma.

You will be losing the option of Zwift interactivity with your set up. If you are considering going the power pedal Assioma route, Wahoo Kicker Core isn't a huge price jump. There are also other smart trainers in the same $750 price range of various capabilities.

The draw of Zwift is the interactivity & responsivness of variable/changing terrain & various training plans. I've used a powermeter & "dumb" trainer like you are planning with Zwift before. Honestly, the magic just isn't there.

A smart trainer is where it's at, if you're willing to give it a go.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-09-21, 03:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
I would second getting a Smart trainer instead of power pedals for Zwift. But if you prefer to use rollers for their ride feel then just get the single-sided Assioma UNO pedals or the axle to fit in your existing pedals. You don't really need double-sided power for Zwift.
Old 11-09-21, 05:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Since OP wants rollers, maybe could look at the Elite Nero rollers. Can 'only' simulate up to about 800 watts and 7% grades though you still need to buy the powermeter pedals.
Old 11-09-21, 08:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
On the matter of rollers, Wahoo was just showing their upcoming Rollr system, so as rollers are the OP’s thing, I’d hold off on any trainer purchase until we see what Rollr is about.

Of course, Rollr— which appears to have a controllable resistance unit like the Kickr— is going to cost more than Faveros, so maybe price takes that off the table anyway.

While it does depend on the user’s goals, I do agree with base2 that a smart trainer is where it’s at for Zwift. However, if you want power numbers out on the road, a smart trainer does no good for that, so it’s rather the case that one wants both a bike PM and a smart trainer. If you can’t get both right away, as I could not, I chose to get a bike power meter first, and I used that and a dumb trainer to get on Zwift back when it was in beta. If one is disciplined and knows how to execute a training program, Zwift can be a nice layer of engagement to a dumb trainer setup. Getting a smart trainer does make it so much easier to Zwift though, and opens up a world of training options with ERG control, so it’s definitely “next level” stuff compared to a dumb trainer. Certainly the future of training and training equipment is smart, so I think it makes sense to invest and get in now if cycling is your sport.

Power on the road is cool, but if you’re stationary training, you don’t really need those numbers on the bike to make your fitness goals. Road power is great for managing your efforts, but if you’ve got the fitness from stationary training, you have other, albeit less accurate, ways of managing effort, so you can get by just fine without road power in that case, IMO.

EDIT: here’s a GCN vid from the Rouleur bike show with the Wahoo Rollr, which is discussed at 32secs mark:

Last edited by chaadster; 11-09-21 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Link added
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-09-21, 09:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Since OP wants rollers, maybe could look at the Elite Nero rollers. Can 'only' simulate up to about 800 watts and 7% grades though you still need to buy the powermeter pedals.
Why would you need powermeter pedals with the Nero rollers? Being Smart rollers I presume they report power output directly.
Old 11-09-21, 11:34 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Bought the relatively new Garmin Rally RS100. Wanted 'no brainer' connectivity with my Garmin head unit, wanted 'no questions' on Shimano cleat compatibility. Single sided. Been flawless since they came outta the box early last summer, and it seems they've cleaned up all the legacy problems with the vectors. So far, anyway.
Old 11-09-21, 12:04 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I agree with those saying get a smart trainer.
Cut directly to the chase.
Old 11-09-21, 04:19 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Smart trainer if you can afford both.

No way to replicate steep hills on your rollers with power meter pedals.
Old 11-09-21, 05:16 PM
Dan Flashes

A lot of the comments here reflect why am interested in pedals over getting a smart trainer. And thanks for the video that looks like a pretty cool roller.

Originally Posted by chaadster
On the matter of rollers, Wahoo was just showing their upcoming Rollr system, so as rollers are the OP’s thing, I’d hold off on any trainer purchase until we see what Rollr is about.

Of course, Rollr— which appears to have a controllable resistance unit like the Kickr— is going to cost more than Faveros, so maybe price takes that off the table anyway.

While it does depend on the user’s goals, I do agree with base2 that a smart trainer is where it’s at for Zwift. However, if you want power numbers out on the road, a smart trainer does no good for that, so it’s rather the case that one wants both a bike PM and a smart trainer. If you can’t get both right away, as I could not, I chose to get a bike power meter first, and I used that and a dumb trainer to get on Zwift back when it was in beta. If one is disciplined and knows how to execute a training program, Zwift can be a nice layer of engagement to a dumb trainer setup. Getting a smart trainer does make it so much easier to Zwift though, and opens up a world of training options with ERG control, so it’s definitely “next level” stuff compared to a dumb trainer. Certainly the future of training and training equipment is smart, so I think it makes sense to invest and get in now if cycling is your sport.

Power on the road is cool, but if you’re stationary training, you don’t really need those numbers on the bike to make your fitness goals. Road power is great for managing your efforts, but if you’ve got the fitness from stationary training, you have other, albeit less accurate, ways of managing effort, so you can get by just fine without road power in that case, IMO.

EDIT: here’s a GCN vid from the Rouleur bike show with the Wahoo Rollr, which is discussed at 32secs mark:
Old 11-09-21, 06:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why would you need powermeter pedals with the Nero rollers? Being Smart rollers I presume they report power output directly.
Evidently not very well.