Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A warning for Boeshield T9

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-13-21, 04:21 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts

I have been trying out different lubes for a few years now. A different lube for each bike (4)
I started to use T9 on my MTB and was impressed with ease of application, how smooth the chain moved and chain cleaning was a minimum. Well, 2 years later and I wanted to change transmission. The rear derailleur, chain ring and cassette were covered in a very dense film of T9. Very, very difficult to remove. Several hours and I'm still working on it.
Just wanted to tell my experience if you are considering this product
Old 11-13-21, 09:47 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I used Boeshield T-9 Bicycle Lubricant on a 90s-vintage hybrid that I ride exclusively on the road; a bit more than 5000 km in a period of about one year.

It worked well for me, and I did not experience the amount of build-up that you describe. Perhaps we were using it differently.
Old 11-13-21, 09:51 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you're getting a 'very dense film' of lube you're doing it wrong. T9 is a great lube, you're applying in incorrectly. Too much lube, not enough rag.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-13-21, 10:01 AM
MarcusT

The instructions were pretty simple. Apply, let dry and wipe off excess. Maybe in some circles, that's challenging.
All good. Let it go for what it's worth
Old 11-13-21, 10:10 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Longtime T9 user here. I've experienced no such problems, but I attend to my transmission more regularly than biennially.
Old 11-13-21, 11:34 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
T-9 bought here in gallon containers, there on various places on 10+ bikes in the household and in other applications, often in combinations with other ingredients, in particular enhancing its staying power. It has been developed for airplanes to stay put and provide corrosion protection. When it comes off, it is a negative in my applications.
Old 11-13-21, 11:57 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
The instructions were pretty simple. Apply, let dry and wipe off excess. Maybe in some circles, that's challenging.
Ha ha right? I use Boeshield T-9 regularly and I like it for what it is. It was developed by Boeing as a penetrating protectant. It is supposed to dry leaving a waxy coating behind. Everything I store in long term boxes/bins get sprayed down with it with the understanding that it will need some amount of solvent cleaning to look its best later on down the road. This little snip from their website: "T-9’s unique formulation of solvents and waxes was engineered to penetrate metal crevices deeply, displace moisture, dissolve minor corrosion, and leave a clean, waxy coating with long-lasting durability" https://boeshield.com/about/
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 11-13-21, 12:14 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
As they say, build up and longevity are a feature, not a bug, Boeshield's primary purpose is as a
corrosion preventative, not a lubricant, though it does lube well. A review of the marine literature
where salt water spray is used for months as a test of corrosion inhibition capacity of various
preparations suggests Boeshield stacks up well for longevity.
Likes For sch:
Old 11-13-21, 12:23 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve used T-9 for 15+ years, many bikes. Never had an issue and drivetrains stay clean. Apply, wait 20 min or so and wipe completely dry. Excellent product for mtb or road bikes.
Old 11-13-21, 12:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Not sure if there is difference between T-9 and what is marketed as bicycle specific. T-9 was specified to be used on the joints of an aluminum framed folding kayak I had..... pretty much certain if not used the joints would freeze and it would not fold anymore

Old 11-13-21, 03:22 PM
cxwrench

???
Old 11-13-21, 05:40 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
My bike shop guy recommended it to me many years ago and I’ve been using it ever since, no problem with my chain.

Here’s a problem I have had though, bottom bracket bearings! I live/ride in central Florida’s heat and humidity, and I sweat a lot all summer on a typical 50 mile, 3 hr ride, 5 days a week. How long should a bottom bracket bearing last and is there any way to get some T9 down in there to make it last longer? I seem to go through at least 1 a year (8,000-10,000 miles) sometimes 2 per year. I almost never ride in the rain or on wet roads, but I’m sure some of my sweat is getting in there. Any way to stop that?
Old 11-13-21, 06:54 PM
wesmamyke

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I've seen T-9 build up to an impossible to remove sludge before. It is somewhat random when it happens, maybe 1 in 100 bikes. My theory was riders that lube the chain and ride right away, so it ends up all over the place even if they try to wipe the chain with a rag.
Old 11-13-21, 07:03 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

I clean my chain with the 3 wheel brush scrubber every 200 miles and then lube it with T9, spin it a few times then put a rag around it and spin it a few more times, no problems with buildup. My problem is trying to lube/clean the bottom bracket. Do I have to pull the crank arm off or can I just squirt a little T9 down there and spin it in?
Old 11-13-21, 10:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
I clean my chain with the 3 wheel brush scrubber every 200 miles and then lube it with T9, spin it a few times then put a rag around it and spin it a few more times, no problems with buildup. My problem is trying to lube/clean the bottom bracket. Do I have to pull the crank arm off or can I just squirt a little T9 down there and spin it in?
T9 would not be my choice for any bottom bracket..... if it is cup and cone it needs grease, anything cartridge, outside bearing , really don't need lubrication

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-14-21, 01:25 AM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Ha ha right? I use Boeshield T-9 regularly and I like it for what it is. It was developed by Boeing as a penetrating protectant. It is supposed to dry leaving a waxy coating behind. Everything I store in long term boxes/bins get sprayed down with it with the understanding that it will need some amount of solvent cleaning to look its best later on down the road. This little snip from their website: "T-9’s unique formulation of solvents and waxes was engineered to penetrate metal crevices deeply, displace moisture, dissolve minor corrosion, and leave a clean, waxy coating with long-lasting durability" https://boeshield.com/about/
What solvent do you use?
Old 11-14-21, 07:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
One of my daughters in Portland tried T-9 (not Boeshield chain lube) on her chain, I got the buildup off easily with OMS so I suspect any degreaser would work.
Old 11-14-21, 08:21 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
What solvent do you use?
Odorless mineral spirits is my first choice because it is cheap when purchased in large cans from the paint thinner section of your local hardware store and can be reused indefinitely to soak small parts in. Just like gunked up grease, the T-9 residue will likely need some scrubbing with an old tooth brush to get it all off. The stinky solvent fumes pretty much rise exponentially when using other paint thinners or de greasers so bear that in mind. Never gasoline.
Edit: If talking frame tubes, I have found that any automotive paste wax will dissolve the T-9 residue with some gentle massage but just watch out for grit on your paint/chrome.

Last edited by FBOATSB; 11-14-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 10:40 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by A350driver
Here’s a problem I have had though, bottom bracket bearings! I live/ride in central Florida’s heat and humidity, and I sweat a lot all summer on a typical 50 mile, 3 hr ride, 5 days a week. How long should a bottom bracket bearing last and is there any way to get some T9 down in there to make it last longer? I seem to go through at least 1 a year (8,000-10,000 miles) sometimes 2 per year. I almost never ride in the rain or on wet roads, but I’m sure some of my sweat is getting in there. Any way to stop that?
Have you actually examined the bearings? Are you sure the corrosion is the problem?? In any case, the solution to corroding bearings is the ceramic version of those. The ceramic bearings are often ridiculed in the cycling context, but they are a 'put them on and forget it' solution for the corrosion.
Old 11-14-21, 08:10 PM
A350driver

Originally Posted by 2_i
Have you actually examined the bearings? Are you sure the corrosion is the problem?? In any case, the solution to corroding bearings is the ceramic version of those. The ceramic bearings are often ridiculed in the cycling context, but they are a 'put them on and forget it' solution for the corrosion.
Yes, I’ve seen them after my bike shop guy pulls them, and they are nasty! I like the idea of the ceramic bearings, does Trek sell them or do I have to find the right size on my own? Also, are they a lot more expensive than the steel ones? I think I paid $49 for the last bearing.
Old 11-14-21, 08:38 PM
2_i 

When bearings are bought from bike part suppliers, they are usually seriously marked up. For the same price you might be able to get ceramic bearings from a supplier for whom the bearings represent the main line of business. I cannot tell you what size you need for your bottom bracket. From my records, I bought Enduro bearings.
Old 11-14-21, 09:16 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by 2_i
How so? The races are steel, the balls are ceramic. The steel can still corrode.
Old 11-14-21, 09:37 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
How so? The races are steel, the balls are ceramic. The steel can still corrode.
The cartridge ceramic bearings for BB would normally have corrosion resistant races, see here. Enduro also offer SS bearings that are a cheaper option than ceramic. Enduro resellers, also on Ebay, may offer lower prices than the manufacturer.
Old 11-14-21, 10:59 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Odorless mineral spirits is my first choice because it is cheap when purchased in large cans from the paint thinner section of your local hardware store and can be reused indefinitely to soak small parts in. Just like gunked up grease, the T-9 residue will likely need some scrubbing with an old tooth brush to get it all off. The stinky solvent fumes pretty much rise exponentially when using other paint thinners or de greasers so bear that in mind. Never gasoline.
Edit: If talking frame tubes, I have found that any automotive paste wax will dissolve the T-9 residue with some gentle massage but just watch out for grit on your paint/chrome.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up using alcohol and it worked out.
Old 11-15-21, 11:21 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by 2_i
The cartridge ceramic bearings for BB would normally have corrosion resistant races, see here. Enduro also offer SS bearings that are a cheaper option than ceramic. Enduro resellers, also on Ebay, may offer lower prices than the manufacturer.
Corrosion 'resistant' isn't corrosion proof, just like water resistant isn't water proof. And you don't think stainless steel is corrosion proof do you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.