Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stretching Suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stretching Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 07:50 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And a general move away from recommending the stretching of cold muscles
Sorry dude, no one here is recommending you stretch cold muscles.
Old 11-11-21, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
Sorry dude, no one here is recommending you stretch cold muscles.

I've noticed that and, frankly, I think that's great news. Last stretching thread I can recall (and it wasn't that long ago--months, not years), a lot of people were pushing static stretching of a cold muscle, and I believe it's the only commonly practiced stretching technique.that actually can increase injuries. It is also a technique that trainers were pushing fairly recently, and I know I've had PT people make me do it in the past. It's largely stopped now because people are finally catching up on the scientific literature on this, and no longer pushing it. Also, I don't think the trainers could ignore the findings that it may actually impair performance to a small degree.

I've been really specific in saying, repeatedly, that the only thing I'm objecting to is telling people they need to stretch or they'll get injured or that stretching will reduce their likelihood of getting injured. There's just no proof that that is true. Sincerely, I hope you find a stretch program that works better for you.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-11-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-11-21, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
stretching exercises (I'm not sure stretching is the right word really for me, it's more moving my joints to their comfortable limits) maintains those limits and helps to identify any potential problems or imbalances.

What do you mean by those "stretching exercises"? Is there something I could refer to and see what they are? That doesn't sound anything like the stretches I grew up with and hated so much. Hell, it might even be something I'd be interested in doing.
Old 11-11-21, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Which chain lube is best for stretching?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-21, 11:41 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Which chain lube is best for stretching?
Bengay. The odor alone relaxes both you and the chain.

Besides, I just learned:

"

Other uses

Bengay can be used to remove chewing gum from clothing, as the methyl salicylate serves to loosen and diffuse the gum base"
Likes For kahn:
Old 11-11-21, 11:54 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 950 Posts
My stretching routine is adapted from one the physical therapist gave me for a lower back problem years ago. Combo of dynamic stretching, static stretching and isometrics. It works for me.

If you're looking for a site with advice try these guys.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BobBrad/videos
Old 11-11-21, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by kahn
Bengay. The odor alone relaxes both you and the chain.

Besides, I just learned:

"

Other uses

Bengay can be used to remove chewing gum from clothing, as the methyl salicylate serves to loosen and diffuse the gum base"

Methyl is a really funny-sounding word. Good name for a dog.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-11-21, 11:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
What do you mean by those "stretching exercises"? Is there something I could refer to and see what they are? That doesn't sound anything like the stretches I grew up with and hated so much. Hell, it might even be something I'd be interested in doing.
Oh it's nothing fancy at all, just very basic Yoga poses for beginners e.g. Downward Dog, Tree, Warrior, Bridge, Child, Sun Salutations etc and a few hip-openers.

This sort of thing, but not quite so elegantly performed!

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-11-21, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Oh it's nothing fancy at all, just very basic Yoga poses for beginners e.g. Downward Dog, Tree, Warrior, Bridge, Child, Sun Salutations etc and a few hip-openers.

This sort of thing, but not quite so elegantly performed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ_9FEsC5Ko

Too bendy for my body, but thanks!
My sense on yoga is it definitely seems to do a lot of good for a lot of people, but it combines so many things that it's impossible to sort out what exactly is causing the benefit. My take on this is like all things--if it's working for you, who cares why?
Old 11-12-21, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Too bendy for my body, but thanks!
My sense on yoga is it definitely seems to do a lot of good for a lot of people, but it combines so many things that it's impossible to sort out what exactly is causing the benefit. My take on this is like all things--if it's working for you, who cares why?
If I'm honest I struggle with many of the yoga poses too, but the idea is really to bend as much as you comfortably can rather than perfectly match the poses. Once you take that approach it's a lot less daunting. I think the benefit comes from making the effort to actually use all of your joints regularly. Daily routine and biking simply doesn't achieve that for me. Not consistently anyway. I don't actually think I'm getting any more flexible, but I have no aches, pains or stiffness in my joints and I haven't lost any flexibility over the years. Still can't touch my toes without bending my knees!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-12-21, 05:30 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't feel that stretching does anything for you on the bike. On a correctly set up bike you aren't going to be able to hyper-extend your joints which is what I thought stretching was originally intended to help with for other types of exercise.
wrong, stretching (stretched body) is more difficult to damage (like muscle tore, or tendons) during a crash or accident.
Also with better stretch you can 'operate' on a bike with greater freedom. (bike setup has nothing to do)
Old 11-12-21, 05:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If I'm honest I struggle with many of the yoga poses too, but the idea is really to bend as much as you comfortably can rather than perfectly match the poses. Once you take that approach it's a lot less daunting. I think the benefit comes from making the effort to actually use all of your joints regularly. Daily routine and biking simply doesn't achieve that for me. Not consistently anyway. I don't actually think I'm getting any more flexible, but I have no aches, pains or stiffness in my joints and I haven't lost any flexibility over the years. Still can't touch my toes without bending my knees!
My understanding is use is more important than stretching in keeping joints healthy, and it sounds like you're combining both so who cares exactly how that mix works as long as it serves your purpose? It's all good.

I use an elliptical at high resistance with a lot of arm action, that works out pretty much all of the joints. I really haven't seen any reduction in flexibility over the years, still the non-stretchy guy I always have been. And, yeah, my knees bend for a reason. Why would I want to touch my toes without bending them? I have no idea why that's supposed to be a good or bad thing.
Old 11-12-21, 05:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by razorjack
wrong, stretching (stretched body) is more difficult to damage (like muscle tore, or tendons) during a crash or accident.
Also with better stretch you can 'operate' on a bike with greater freedom. (bike setup has nothing to do)

Total nonsense. I double dog dare you to find any medical studies that suggest stretching prevents damage from a crash or accident. It's not going to make you bouncier or whatever.

I have no idea what operating with greater freedom is supposed to mean. If you're talking about road riding, that's a silly assertion. Maybe it makes sense in something like BMX where you've got to contort yourself into multiple very different positions quickly, but on a road that's not a real thing.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-12-21 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-12-21, 06:44 AM
razorjack

Total nonsense. I double dog dare you to find any medical studies that suggest stretching prevents damage from a crash or accident. It's not going to make you bouncier or whatever.
If you are not stretched (and warmed up), during a crash, you will reach end of your joints motions faster - thus, greater risk of tearing somethinh

I have no idea what operating with greater freedom is supposed to mean. If you're talking about road riding, that's a silly assertion. Maybe it makes sense in something like BMX where you've got to contort yourself into multiple very different positions quickly, but on a road that's not a real thing.
yep, i'm talking about MTB (it's a bike forum after all), better range of motion - better handling.
on a road bike ppl sit in similar position most of the time, which creates similar problems at the end.... tightness in some areas (+office job for example), and you have imbalance (one part of a body is strong, other weak etc.)
Old 11-12-21, 07:06 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I don't stretch and wouldn't try to convince you to stop, but be very careful about pre-ride stretches. Most stretches are safe, but people apparently can injure themselves stretching a cold muscle too much per medical studies. My understanding is that trainers and pros have been moving towards something called "dynamic stretching" that essentially seeks to warm up and stretch the muscles simultaneously. The traditional static pre-workout stretching likely does more harm than good.

I did just that stretched my quads too much when I was cold. Not a good idea.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 11-12-21, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If you are not stretched (and warmed up), during a crash, you will reach end of your joints motions faster - thus, greater risk of tearing somethinh

That's still nonsense no matter how many times you repeat it. Your intuition is not proof.

I'll leave it to people who MTB as to whether what you're saying makes sense there. I doubt it seriously.
Old 11-12-21, 08:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
So you stretch before you get in your car to drive? Or before you go for a walk?

You might be involved in a crash while doing those too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-12-21, 08:41 AM
razorjack

So you stretch before you get in your car to drive? Or before you go for a walk?

thank You for insightful thoughts ! I'll consider that ....

why is it that roadies so often don't understand biking...?

Last edited by razorjack; 11-12-21 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For razorjack:
Old 11-13-21, 01:32 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
thank You for insightful thoughts ! I'll consider that ....

why is it that roadies so often don't understand biking...?

I wouldn't be so kind in the response. He was trying to be funny with his sarcastic comment.
Old 11-13-21, 07:08 AM
PeteHski

I know you are being sarcastic here. But a lot of people with poor flexibility or stiff joints struggle to get in and out of cars (often a reason why they prefer SUVs) and often strain their necks looking over their shoulder. I've even done the latter myself a few times in the car.
Old 11-13-21, 10:01 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Stretching isn't going to prevent broken bones, dislocated shoulder, broken wrist, concussions, internal injuries, broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff or any other injuries in an event of a crash.
Old 11-13-21, 02:46 PM
razorjack

oh, really, Captain Obvious?

i didn't say it will save you from broken bones, but definitely can decrease chance of injuries (including tearing things...)
If you do any sports, you would know that with most of them (chess or poker would be an exception here) people DO dynamic stretching before, to increase range of motions and avoid injuries.
and definitely if you do biking (don't mistake with roadies ), anything more serious than leisure XC, riders DO dynamic stretching, and also they do stretching after a ride, to keep extended range of motions...

Last edited by razorjack; 11-16-21 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 12:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I know you are being sarcastic here. But a lot of people with poor flexibility or stiff joints struggle to get in and out of cars (often a reason why they prefer SUVs) and often strain their necks looking over their shoulder. I've even done the latter myself a few times in the car.
I suppose it was a little sarcastic. But I was trying to point out to the person I was responding to that if being limber for wrecks on a bicycle was a reason for stretching before riding a bike, then why isn't it a reason for stretching before diving a car or most anything else we do? And though I've had a few spectacular wrecks, I don't have them often.

The thread topic to my knowledge is not about people with poor flexibility or stiff joints.

Eh, scratch that, I just went back and looked at the OP.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-14-21 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 01:35 PM
tduncan86

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
as someone who has procrastinated for many years, I think yoou just got to get started on something, slowly but diligently.
Old 11-16-21, 12:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
I suppose it was a little sarcastic. But I was trying to point out to the person I was responding to that if being limber for wrecks on a bicycle was a reason for stretching before riding a bike, then why isn't it a reason for stretching before diving a car or most anything else we do? And though I've had a few spectacular wrecks, I don't have them often.

The thread topic to my knowledge is not about people with poor flexibility or stiff joints.

Eh, scratch that, I just went back and looked at the OP.
AS an ER Physician, my father took care of 100s of MVAs. The people who tended to have the highest survival rates were drunks, because they were so loose compared to sober people whom would tense up and brace themselves. Not scientific but a common phenomenon noted in the ER. Of course being flexible versus inflexible in a bike accident are not exactly the same thing, but there are parallels. Or as a wise man said, it is better to bend in the wind like a willow than to be rigid and snap.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.