Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Angled rear light strap on saddle bag, should I get a different bag?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-08-18, 03:43 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts

I had a $20 gift cert from REI that I used to buy the highly-rated Evoc saddle bag. To my disappointment, the rear light strap is angled such that my rear light points downward at roughly 30 degrees. I'm not planning on riding the bike the bag is strapped to in very dark conditions or tons of traffic. Should I still be concerned and get a different bag? If so, are there ones about the same price/weight/volume that I should consider? I have a medium Topeak aero wedge pack on a different bike that is too big and also curves downward such that I don't actually get to use the entire volume, and I barely fit what I need to in the 0.7L Evoc, ruling out the small sized aero wedge that has a 0.66L capacity.
Old 03-08-18, 03:56 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've never clipped a light to saddle bag as they all sag to some degree and change depending on what is packed. I mount to seat post below saddle bag, but you need enough space to do so.
Old 03-08-18, 04:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

How much space would be safe? Here's a photo I took before I got the bag: https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1519081702 . I plan to either use a Planet Bike Blinky 5 that I would swap between rack mount on another bike and seatpost mount on the pictured one, or buy a PDW Dangerzone.
Old 03-08-18, 05:10 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
My main light goes on the back of my helmet. Supplemental light is on the rack. See lots of very ineffective uses of taillights by many commuters. Clipped onto a backpack is almost useless. Blocked by something doesn’t help matters. I like the helmet because it is above the cars a bit, improving the odds I’ll be seen. It’s a 180 degree pulsing light, rather than flashing, so even if I turn my head it’s still visible.
Old 03-08-18, 05:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
looks like you have plenty of space to mount on seat post. as long as the full unobstructed beam of the light projects backward toward drivers eyes. my rear light beam is parallel to ground, or ever so slightly angled so it is 4' off ground 100' back (basically level). if the saddle bag mostly blocks the light for a driver that is right (10') behind you that is OK as that condition only happens when stopped or if they are about to hit you anyway. also it would be wise to have a 2nd light perhaps on back of your helmet.
Old 03-08-18, 07:08 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
My main light goes on the back of my helmet. Supplemental light is on the rack. See lots of very ineffective uses of taillights by many commuters. Clipped onto a backpack is almost useless. Blocked by something doesn’t help matters. I like the helmet because it is above the cars a bit, improving the odds I’ll be seen. It’s a 180 degree pulsing light, rather than flashing, so even if I turn my head it’s still visible.
+1

I use a rear helmet light and I mount lights on the back of the rear rack.
On my rackless roadbike I mount the rear blinkie on the left seat stay, just below the tire rim so the light dances off the spokes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
International.jpg (209.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 03-09-18, 05:53 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I have that problem with my Topeak saddle bag and not enough room on the seatpost below the bag.

The light I use came with a seat stay mount but I kind of hate having the light stick out to the left side since that is the "down" side whenever I put the bike down (like in the back of my car) and I know I'll end up knocking the mount off or breaking the light.

So, I took a small piece of velcro and a small wedge of scrap wood and attached the wedge to the back of the Topeak saddle bag just under the strap - it forces the light into a more vertical position. Took a bunch of trial and error to get it right but velcro and scrap wood are cheap!

Not perfect - I usually have the same stuff in the Topeak bag but if I jam more in or carry less, the angle changes. But good enough and better than it was.
Old 03-09-18, 06:45 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
This is the reason I've gone away from saddle bags. There's a limited amount of precious space on the seatpost/seatstay that I'd like to use for lights and a rear view camera. I've done away with the bag altogether. Instead, I will be using a plastic canister the size of a water bottle that goes into the seat tube cage.

In the past I've tried mounting a light onto the saddle bag and had the same problem as you. The backpack is no good either.

I also like to mount multiple lights on the back, one of which is always on blinking. I found that my SKS Longboard fenders are a good spot for mounting a light if I have my 32 mm tires on. With 35 mm studs, this can't be done. I realize that's not an option for you with the flimsy MK3's, which are really, really ugly, BTW I have the older MK2's. Much more subtle looking.
Old 03-09-18, 08:03 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Primary lights should be mounted to hard points, IMO. It's fine to put a light on a fabric mount if it's a secondary light, like on a backpack to give a high point light or a backup light. I wouldn't rely on a floppy mounted taillight as my primary/only light though.
Old 03-09-18, 09:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I used the stainless steel strips that are used mounting bike racks, got one for center mount, re bent it in a curve,

stitched it to the top flap of my rear bag & that pointed the back blinkie appropriately..

it a larger Carradice Carradura (nylon, rather than canvas) the canvas ones now have loops on them to hang blinkies from.

<it appears you can either run a screw from your blinkie through the back flap, or sew a short piece of nylon webbing onto that>

you can add a safety vest and attach a blinkie or 2 to the back of it, as well..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-11-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-09-18, 05:02 PM
surak

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess no bag will be perfect, so my best options seem to be to put a good light under the bag and then use some extra lights. I have a blinky on the back of my helmet, but it's a cheap freebie I got so I'll keep an eye out for something better.

And yeah the MK3 is ugly, but beautiful in comparison to how filthy my bike got after my first real ride this winter when I was fenderless.
Old 03-10-18, 12:11 AM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Ahh the good ol’ BGT thru UW! If you are cheap and insistent on using the saddle bag, you can always put a foam block just under the clip area to lift the light back up to a respectable angle.

Otherwise like everyone says I would clip to seatpost or seatstay (or both if you are riding in more dangerous areas).
Old 03-12-18, 10:49 PM
surak

Well the light clipped to the strap fell off today, and I only found half of the pieces, so that ends the strap experience.
Old 03-13-18, 11:15 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why don't you use Topeak saddle bags?
topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/129-aero-wedge-pack

They have an clip mount for Cateye lights like the Rapid X3.
cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/TL-LD720-R/
CatEye Spacer X
CatEye C-2 Clothing Clip

Last edited by angerdan; 03-13-18 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 11:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I find as a driver that lights at knee to waist height (of a standing person) are the lights I notice most reliably. High lights often get lost against city background light. On country and poorly lit roads, I find myself looking harder at the road surface; either center stripe or fog line/pavement edge. A light at or above eye-level is not where I am looking. And when someone puts a really bright light there, I do my best to avert my eyes, driving or riding.

I wear light colors and reflective gear high, but ont lights and especially not very bright lights. Those go below my seat, either on the seatpost or the left seatstay. (Plus one Planet Bike blinkie on the forward corner of each hip on my cycling vest strap. Very visible to left turning on-coming cars - the ones that kill us - and cars coming out of driveways/side streets.)

Ben
Old 03-13-18, 11:33 AM
surak

Originally Posted by angerdan
Why don't you use Topeak saddle bags?
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ero-wedge-pack
This is why:

Originally Posted by surak
I have a medium Topeak aero wedge pack on a different bike that is too big and also curves downward such that I don't actually get to use the entire volume, and I barely fit what I need to in the 0.7L Evoc, ruling out the small sized aero wedge that has a 0.66L capacity.
Originally Posted by angerdan
They have an clip mount for Cateye lights like the Rapid X3.
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ts/TL-LD720-R/
CatEye Spacer X
CatEye C-2 Clothing Clip
Interesting. I'll have to see if any store nearby sells them, but I'm down on using the bag clip now. My default plan is to replace the fallen Blinky 5 with a Grateful Red since I can swap it between seatpost on my road bike and rack mount on the commuter. Like the Grateful Red because it has a builtin reflector so I can get rid of the reflector taking up space on my road bike.
Old 03-13-18, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Well the light clipped to the strap fell off today, and I only found half of the pieces, so that ends the strap experience.

I used a bit of wire, saved from packaging of electronic widgets..

where it was wrapped around the cables, and that keeps the light from coming off the strap..

you may like zip ties for that purpose...
Old 03-21-18, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
my rackless roadbike
is that a battery in a bottle on your top tube?
Old 03-21-18, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I like rear racks cuz I can carry a bigger bag & always lots of options for mounting rear lights

Old 03-21-18, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
is that a battery in a bottle on your top tube?
That is the air chamber for my AirZound airhorn.
There are better deals then this one at Walmart, but that is the first link I found. The original older models had a plastic bottle, and it looks like they still make them, but the metal canister works better in Sub-Zero temperatures.
Old 03-21-18, 11:11 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by BobbyG
That is the air chamber for my AirZound airhorn

Old 03-23-18, 07:52 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have lost 2 lights that bounced off those bag straps before I decided that more secure mounting is necessary. Now I use seat post or stay mounts.
Old 03-23-18, 01:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I clip my tail light to the little fabric loop on the back of my seat bag. I haven't lost one, but I'm not saying you'll be as lucky as I've been. The back of my bag is vertical, so yes, you'll need that, or you'll need some kind of gadget to make your light's clip vertical.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.