Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia RTL 510 Review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 06:01 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have ben using the 2018 Garmin Varia radar/tail light for a couple of months. I have it paired with a Garmin 520. Most of my riding is done on rural roads with limited traffic; it's easy to get a little complacent paying attention to vehicles approaching from the rear. For my use it has been a nice addition to my set-up and the audible warning has been great. The daylight blinker is very bright. The unit holds a charge as long as my prior tail light. So far I would recommend it. Now I'll have to see how it holds up over time.
Old 08-24-18, 07:37 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
My experience matches yours. I've had mine for about 2 months. I really appreciate the advanced warning of cars approaching from the rear. I have noticed the radar picks them up, and displays them on my Edge 130, long before I can hear them coming, giving me more time to "prepare" for them. I also ride a lot of rural country roads where the traffic is fairly light, but, it only takes one car to ruin your day. When I bought my cycling computer, I struggled between the Wahoo Element Bolt and the Garmin 130/520/820. I picked the Garmin specifically because of the RTL 150. If I had to make the decision again, knowing what I know, I'd go with the Garmin and the RTL150 again.
Old 08-25-18, 02:46 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I have the original, rectangular, Garmin Varia tail light, paired to my Edge 1000, and find it a bit ugly aesthetically, although it's highly functional. I see that the RTL 510 is a much nicer design.

Just something to be aware of with the Varia tail lights: if the approach speed of the car behind you is very slow (i.e. going only a little faster than you are cycling) then the light doesn't pick up the vehicle so I always look over my shoulder when changing direction.
Old 08-26-18, 05:33 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed; we use the light on a tandem, and we love the extra eye looking out for cars.

I understand why many people wonder why one would want such a thing; but those who find the idea intriguing seem universally to love it.

Mark
Old 08-26-18, 05:41 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have both..and that is what I've noticed :

Advantages of RTL510 : brighter light, battery last longer but my old one is...old so maybe the battery is getting worn. Picks up solo cyclist a little better, looks better

Disadvantages : does seem to work as well in large pelotons as my old one in picking up vehicles.
Old 08-26-18, 08:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have the varia rtl510 and a garmin 520... it occasionally picks up a cyclist passing me, which is handy.

The battery life was insufficient to make it through a full century last weekend, though I wasn't really hammering. I turned it off at the lunch stop and it never repaired with the head unit, which was a bit annoying. Could be user error.

But yeah, I really like having it. Works great on quiet roads, a bit of a distraction on busy roads but I'd say I'm better off having it than not having it.
Old 09-12-18, 07:21 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update on my review: Used Varia for Century ride. Varia's battery lasted the whole ride, no issues. The unit was on for about 7 hours.
Old 09-14-18, 03:59 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can't hear alerts on Edge 1030

I like my RTL510 except for one thing, I can't hear the alerts on my Edge 1030 unless I am riding slowly on a really quiet road. The tone is too high and/or volume too low. There isn't any volume or tone control. I have opened a ticket with Garmin support. Garmin Engineering was suppose to be looking into adding an alert tone adjustment but I can't get any update on what the status is.
Old 09-14-18, 04:59 PM
rick47601

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greta review . Im going get one soon
Rick
Old 09-16-18, 08:35 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I have the original, rectangular, Garmin Varia tail light, paired to my Edge 1000, and find it a bit ugly aesthetically, although it's highly functional. I see that the RTL 510 is a much nicer design.

Just something to be aware of with the Varia tail lights: if the approach speed of the car behind you is very slow (i.e. going only a little faster than you are cycling) then the light doesn't pick up the vehicle so I always look over my shoulder when changing direction.

Happened to me a couple times already. But overall the unit is a nice safety feature to have.