Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well, crud.. This is gonna end my season..

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 08:59 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts

Summer (90 degree heat, high humidity) held on a LONG time here on the 42nd parallel..
now that it's cooled off enough to entice me to ride after work, the sun is gone by the time I get home..

So.. as soon as it hits 50 degrees, I can load up the wife and the bikes and head to the Rec Area..

but it's also getting to be kinda wet and rainy..

this sucks, Beavis..
Old 09-23-18, 01:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Resistance rollers: https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...ve-pro-rollers
My wife won't ride 'em, so trainer for her. We can ride together just fine, music as loud as we want. I ride year 'round, though in winter outside only 1 day/week, rest of the days indoors. We keep our workout area ~55° and use 2 - 24" box fans. Heckuva lot better than not riding.
Old 09-23-18, 02:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Sounds similar to me. I ride with lights or on weekends. I can't handle riding indoors.
Old 09-23-18, 03:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
We don't really have a season here in Texas. So we ride whenever the weather is halfway decent, which is pretty much year round. Even in winter we'll have days when it's in the 20s one day and 60s the next. Only reason I haven't ridden the past few days when it's rained steadily is because I don't trust drivers.

I didn't expect to get much use from a Cyclops trainer a friend gave me, but after an injury earlier this year followed by an unrelated illness, I ended up doing more indoor spinning than outdoor riding. And it really was pretty good. Kept me in good enough shape that my average speed is the same. My stamina is down a bit, but that's due to illness, not lack of conditioning.

For me the trick to enjoying the indoor trainer is to skip the stuff that just makes me with I was outdoors. I tried a couple of training videos from GCN's YouTube channel. But it was boring.

So I switched to binge-watching TV series I'd been meaning to watch anyway. I watched all five seasons of Orphan Black (a delightfully weird sci-fi series that has more in common with David Lynch and the Coen brothers style than with sci-fi), basing my workouts on the approximately 40-minute episodes: one episode for HIIT or FTP training; two or more episodes for endurance training. I set Wahoo Fitness on my phone to give me audible notices every 3 or 5 minutes, my cue to either sprint at maximum effort for 15-30 seconds, or to stand and pedal for 60-90 seconds to improve my climbing strength.

Works for me. I don't get bored with the indoor trainer. Only problem now is I'm out of Orphan Black episodes and the next series I'm watching now, Expanse, isn't quite as compelling. Not bad, but a bit too thick on the familiar tropes.

The indoor trainer has also been useful for warmups before an outdoor ride. Between the injury and illness this summer it was taking me longer to warm up, and that was harder during our recent hot summer. I found the transition easier if I warmed up indoors for 15-30 minutes before heading outdoors.
Old 09-23-18, 03:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Can you commute?
Old 09-23-18, 04:59 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Tomorrow's high is only supposed to be 91. I think tomorrow will be my first after work ride since it got hot enough to melt a CF bike in the afternoon a few months ago.

​​​​​​
Old 09-23-18, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
equinox was this morning

Rain happens .. it's that season again.. I have panniers on my daily use bike,
rain gear in them for the changing weather..

hub dynamo powered LED lights for the darkness ..

Old 09-23-18, 06:34 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
Summer (90 degree heat, high humidity) held on a LONG time here on the 42nd parallel..
now that it's cooled off enough to entice me to ride after work, the sun is gone by the time I get home..

So.. as soon as it hits 50 degrees, I can load up the wife and the bikes and head to the Rec Area..

this sucks, Beavis..
From Michigan as well. My way to deal with the earlier sunset is to get kitted out with good lights. I've got a set of front and rear "blinkies", and a 1000 Lumen front light, and a Garmin RTL510 rear radar/light. So 2 front light and 2 rear lights. I've pulled in the driveway around the 8:00 range when it's starting to get pretty dark, and I feel pretty comfortable. I can see just fine, and pretty sure people can see me. I'm going to ride outside as long as I possibly can before it gets colder than what I can tolerate

Last edited by aspalmat; 09-23-18 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 09-24-18, 12:33 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
I ride more in winter down here. It can get cold but it doesn’t last but a few days then it is back to the low 70s even in January.
Old 09-24-18, 03:56 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Yeah, the weather here in Connecticut seems to have been more extreme this past year. Temps went into the single digits starting in December, if I recall, with snow well into March. Then, summer had more extreme heat and humidity that usual. Through it all, I found a way to get out on my bike pretty consistently, although I did pull out my indoor trainer several times during the worst of the cold days of winter. I'm fortunate to work at home with a flexible schedule so I can usually squeeze in rides on work days even in the shortest winter days.
Old 09-24-18, 04:59 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

this sucks, Beavis..
I’m feeling the drop in riding opportunities in our State as well. I rode Saturday morning and had to “layer” for the first time in months since it was 45 degrees. Stayed fairly warm since there was little/no wind, but didn’t sweat much either. It is that time of year in Michigan where you begin to think about the colder weather just around the corner!
Old 09-24-18, 06:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
nawww, it's crud season! keep riding! get tough!
Old 09-24-18, 07:26 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Here in western Washington the forecast calls for partly sunny and high around 70 Monday thru Friday.
Time to ride before our rain sets in.
Old 09-25-18, 05:18 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Here in western Washington the forecast calls for partly sunny and high around 70 Monday thru Friday.
Time to ride before our rain sets in.
Our rain started yesterday afternoon.. steady mist/drizzle spiced with pockets of showers.. mist/drizzle/showers/thundershowers today and the next couple.. then back to the mist/drizzle until middle of next week..
Old 09-25-18, 05:36 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I used to ride in the eternal drizzle when I lived in Portland. Loved it. Perfect riding weather IMO, impossible to overheat, but you get a just a slight bead of perspiration going. Optimal riding conditions for my metabolism.
Old 09-25-18, 09:39 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Good points, all. I pulled the lights off my Talus because I had it for sale.. offered it to my grand-nephew for a college bike, but he never got back to me..
Maybe I'll put them back on and start beating it up & down the trailway
Old 09-25-18, 12:12 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Fenders!
Old 09-25-18, 03:59 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Fenders!
I agree - Fenders!

I got my first bike with fenders a couple years ago (Spec. AWOL) and it really caused me to ride more. In marginal conditions I know I'm not going to get a stripe up my back and my bike will stay free of road grime. These sound like minor concerns, but fenders take most of the hassle out of riding on wet roads and/or showery conditions.

I now have two bikes with fenders and as long as it's not pouring or below 30* I don't get too concerned about the weather - definitely more seat time.

A good long sleeve merino wool/stretchy polyester shirt that fits snugly is also a big help when it is cool out. And, a decent bag (handlebar or pannier) means that I can conveniently bring food/water/clothes. I have an Ortlieb 6 handlebar bag on one bike and Ortlieb low-rider roll-down panniers on another. It's good to be ready for changing conditions- or a stop at the grocery store.
Old 09-25-18, 06:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
well, crud.. this is gonna end my season..
…now that it's cooled off enough to entice me to ride after work, the sun is gone by the time I get home…

this sucks, Beavis.
Originally Posted by caloso
Can you commute?
+10. Only commuting (with the attendant fitness) is about the only motivation for riding outside of the usual pleasant riding season here in Boston. It is particularly important for me this year, as I recently posted to this Fifty-Plus thread, “Your end of season report....."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons.
I celebrate the nice weather part of the year as a self-proclaimed "Leg Season," when short pants are the usual dress.

It starts on the first Sunday in May with the Annual Walk for Hunger, and ends on Columbus Day with the Annual Tufts 10 K Road Race, both attracting thousands of participants.
However, Leg Season 2018 has been a bust; about 20 miles per week
...This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes….

So now I’m giving in to the idea of a flat bar bike.
So with about two weeks to go in Leg Season, I bought a Giant Escape bike and taken it for a couple of test rides. It should be adequate to usher me into a steady Winter Riding schedule.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-25-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 10:02 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Colder than normal conditions this 2018-19 winter according Farmer's Almanac-- tempestuous, ferocious... better take up snowboarding.
Old 09-26-18, 10:13 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
93 degrees yesterday a cold front hit it will be a cool 87. Someone opened South Texas Snowmobile but for some reason that business failed.
Old 09-26-18, 10:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I used to ride in the eternal drizzle when I lived in Portland. Loved it. Perfect riding weather IMO, impossible to overheat, but you get a just a slight bead of perspiration going. Optimal riding conditions for my metabolism.
may be a dumb question: bike computer, lights, ipod are all ok getting wet?

I generally avoid rain riding, thanks
Old 09-26-18, 12:29 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
may be a dumb question: bike computer, lights, ipod are all ok getting wet?

I generally avoid rain riding, thanks
Bring a couple small zip lock bags - either stow the devices in the bag in your pocket or slip the bag over the device and ride on.
Old 09-30-18, 07:43 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I was just talking to the Wife about this topic a few minutes ago. I told her that I wanted to set up my old-school rollers in the living room this winter - and she agreed! We took the old furniture out a year ago except for a roll-top desk in the corner. I'll probably have a box fan in addition to the add-on wind-resistance squirrel-cage fan.

FWIW, I started riding rollers in '76 while at Ohio State. Learning to ride them REALLY improved my pedaling technique! I found myself riding farther with less effort - all due to NOT wasting energy in a sloppy technique!

I bought my rollers some 30 years ago from Nashbar. Back then, their rollers had optional accessories like a fork stand (so my wife could try it) as well as optional wind-resistance or fluid-resistance add-on units.
Old 10-05-18, 03:41 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

and since I wrote the OP, it's rained all but two days..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.