Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

26x4.0 vs 29x2.25

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

26x4.0 vs 29x2.25

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 10:04 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
26x4.0 vs 29x2.25

I live in the Twin Cities, MN.

My 700x35 studs really struggle with the ice ruts that form on the roads after the cars drive through, and things re-freeze. 26x4.0 does good in the winter, but the rest of the year I don't really ride it. And I'd kind of like to consolidate the stable.

Will 29x2.25ish studs handle the ice ruts and "mashed potatoes?"
Old 12-06-20, 08:36 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Also living in Mn, my experience with 2" tires was pretty bad. They float around on top of the snow enough that traction is a problem (compared to skinnier versions). But they aren't wide enough or float enough to be maintain their own balance and stay above the snow, like fat tires do.

The 45nrth Gravdals seemed to be the best tires for grip, short of a fat bike. Definitely not the fastest, but they seemed to be the grippiest and best able to handle mixed snow/ice/rut conditions.

It's always possible my experience with 2" Nokians wasn't typical but I sold them as I wasn't wasn't a fan. Looks like came out with Kavha 2.2" now, maybe they have a better design or something.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 12-07-20, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I live in the Twin Cities, MN.

My 700x35 studs really struggle with the ice ruts that form on the roads after the cars drive through, and things re-freeze. 26x4.0 does good in the winter, but the rest of the year I don't really ride it. And I'd kind of like to consolidate the stable.

Will 29x2.25ish studs handle the ice ruts and "mashed potatoes?"
Let me guess: The 700s get pushed all over the road. They seem to go everywhere but where you want them to go. They get thrown off line and get trapped in the ruts. It’s a struggle to keep the bike moving forward. Right? Kind of like what would happen if you put the same tires on a rutted rocky trail.

The problem isn’t the tires (necessarily) but the bike. Ice and snow isn’t all that different from rocks and sand (with some obvious differences). Approach it as a mountain bike problem and throw suspension at it. A suspension fork will make the ruts easier to navigate and rear suspension would add traction. 35mm probably isn’t going to cut it but wider studs with suspension would. It has for me for the better part of 25 years.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-08-20, 05:41 AM
EdwinKraud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, But it will be not so good in winter as 26x4.0
Old 12-19-20, 12:07 AM
richarddd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2.25 is still skinny. 29x2.6 starts to get fun
Likes For richarddd:
Old 12-19-20, 07:15 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Ice Spiker Pro is available in 27.5 x 2.6. If I was forced to consolidate my fat / mountain bike I'd probably end up with a 27.5+ bike.