Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kick Stand

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Kick Stand

Old 10-13-21, 11:55 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Kick Stand

How many in this group use kickstands? I've been tossing the idea in my head about putting it on my touring bike but I'm not sure. The weight and other factors have me on the fence. What do you think?.
Old 10-13-21, 12:37 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I personally do not but my wife loves her Bontrager rear mount adjustable kickstand.
Old 10-13-21, 01:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have kickstands on several of my bikes. But I did not put one on my road bike as I rarely leave that bike somewhere that would involve a kickstand, did not put one on my titanium bike due to concerns about possible frame damage.

My favorite stand is the Greenfield one that clamps onto the stays near the rear left side dropout. But I only use it on steel frame bikes that I am confident that there would be no frame damage.

I could have leaned my bike against one of two sign posts in the photo below, but why bother when you can park it almost anywhere?

This is probably the best photo I have that shows how it is attached to the frame.

With this type of stand, if the front wheel can roll on sloping ground, the bike can roll off of the stand. I keep an elastic on my handlebar that I can slip over the front brake lever as a parking brake. Photo below is from a different bike to show the elastic.

There is plastic wrapped around the frame under the stand. That plastic deforms over time, you need to keep the screws tight, they loosen over time. I use blue (removable) threadlocker on kickstand bolts.

That stand comes with a small rubber foot. If you put a lot of weight on the bike and park the bike on soft ground, the stand can push through the rubber foot and sink into the ground. I glue a big washer under the rubber foot to try to prevent the stand from pushing through the rubber foot. But on most tours the glue eventually gives out and the washer falls off, like here it just fell off.

But when convenient, I am not opposed to leaning the bike up against a solid building instead of using a kickstand.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-13-21, 01:26 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
That was a good explanation.

I used to use one but now don't. If I were to use one again it would be an old style double kickstand but my trend is a little more lightweight to justify the added weight currently. I have one bike I may add that style to when/if I find one that isn't stupidly expensive. It's a fully loaded design that has already thrown weight consideration out the window.

Mostly, if using a kickstand make sure it is designed/sturdy enough not to dump the bike. A cheap/flimsy model is worse than none at all.
Old 10-13-21, 02:20 PM
David.MPB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Couldn’t do without kickstand on trek 520 (add on). However biggest issue when using or even standing at a light or stopped for a photo op is front wheel flop.

regarding kickstand. Must be sturdy enough to hold 30+ pound bike with 60 pounds of gear. Make sure bolts are tight from time to time.

last year mine began to unscrew without me knowing and subsequently bent the bolts which the snapped as I tried to unscrew.
now it’s part of regular checks to see that bolts are nit coming out.

the convenience far outweighs the weight.
Likes For David.MPB:
Old 10-13-21, 02:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Do kickstands or chain waxing threads bring out the most dogmatic posters?

If you want one, put one on your bike. You'll enjoy the convenience. FWIW, I've got one like Tourist; when the foot wore out, I bored a hole in a golf ball and glued it on.

If you don't want a kickstand, don't put one on (like my other bikes). Every time you ride the lighter, rattle-free bike, you'll think you're in a movie and the sun is just coming out after a storm as orchestral music swells. Every time you lean the bike up against something, you'll have to worry about whether it'll get knocked down and scratch your beautiful frame.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-13-21, 03:00 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I have this double kickstand on my commuter. It has 2 distinct advantages over a single:
1) you can load up rear panniers unevenly (more weight in one pannier than the other) without the bike tipping over, since the stand keeps the bike left-right balanced, and with a wide kickstand stance.
2) because the rear tire is completely off the ground, you can fully pedal the bike by hand and make derailleur adjustments without needing a bike stand.
Old 10-13-21, 03:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Rocks, trees, guard rails, sign posts, tables, curbs, walls, picnic tables, fences and even the ground are my kickstands. We part friends.

But as mentioned, do watcha like.

I like to defy authority.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-13-21, 03:50 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Do kickstands or chain waxing threads bring out the most dogmatic posters?

If you want one, put one on your bike. You'll enjoy the convenience. FWIW, I've got one like Tourist; when the foot wore out, I bored a hole in a golf ball and glued it on.

If you don't want a kickstand, don't put one on (like my other bikes). Every time you ride the lighter, rattle-free bike, you'll think you're in a movie and the sun is just coming out after a storm as orchestral music swells. Every time you lean the bike up against something, you'll have to worry about whether it'll get knocked down and scratch your beautiful frame.
Curious who the dogmatic posters are as so far it seems people are six of one half dozen of the other do what you want.

My suggestion for a sturdy/functional kickstand is that most of the times my bike has fallen over when trusting a dysfunctional one. Usually that hurts the brake hoods more than anything as the frame is protected by the panniers.
Old 10-13-21, 05:21 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I use a Y stick to prop the bike on and a string tied around the rear brake if I need to stabilize the set up - such as on an incline or if it is windy. Otherwise, it sits OK the way it is with just the stick. It is very stable when set up - the long stick gives the set up a low center of gravity. With a short kick stand you have a much higher center of gravity. That could be an issue in windy conditions. When loading up a bike the object of the game is get the heavier stuff as low as possible. If you have weight up high that really screws with the center of gravity - and will also greatly decrease the stability of the bike on a kick stand.

Old 10-13-21, 05:37 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Personally I prefer to do without one. If you feel the need for one, go for it.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-13-21, 06:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Curious who the dogmatic posters are as so far it seems people are six of one half dozen of the other do what you want.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...kickstand.html

I’ve mellowed with age.

This subject comes up on a huge Facebook touring group I’m a member of. Lots of preaching usually ensues.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-13-21, 06:11 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I use, and love my Clickstand: Click-Stand Home Page. It's a custom made (and not too expensive) pole made to support your top tube. They also have you use a small bungie cord to keep your front or rear break engaged to prevent forward or rear roll. I have mine attached to my frame, and it's easy to remove and apply. If I know I'm not going to use it, I can easily take it off and leave it home.
Old 10-13-21, 11:36 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The bike must be a Rough Rider, tour softly and carry a big stick
Likes For robow:
Old 10-14-21, 12:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
I went for years without a kickstand and finally got tired of trying to find a spot to lean the bike. I went big and mounted the Ursus Jumbo. It's heavy, but can handle up to 100 kg. Now, If I want to to stop for a pic or a pee, I don't need to hunt for a wall, post or a firm surface.

Also useful if you need to do wheel or brake maintenance.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-14-21, 02:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I used to drive motorcycles that had both a center stand (double leg) and side stand installed. I understand the preference for the center stands that have two legs, but I would not use one on a heavily loaded touring bike. Bike frames are not designed for putting that much of a load on that part of the frame to support one wheel up in the air if you are running four panniers with weight on both the front and rear.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I like to defy authority.
Photo is from a ferry waiting area near the GAP and C&O, they apparently did not want people leaning bikes against buildings, note the painted marking on the ground.

I made a stand similar to the Click Stand from a tent pole, use that on my titanium bike and on my road bike. Both of those bikes are designed with the seat stays close together where attached at the seat tube, that forms a small pocket that I can put that tent pole into, use a rubber foot from a trekking pole to protect the frame finish..

Old 10-14-21, 05:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I understand the preference for the center stands that have two legs, but I would not use one on a heavily loaded touring bike. Bike frames are not designed for putting that much of a load on that part of the frame to support one wheel up in the air if you are running four panniers with weight on both the front and rear.
Of course the legs' length can be adjusted to leave both wheels on the ground.
Old 10-14-21, 05:47 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
Yes to a kick stand.

Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 10-14-21, 05:55 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
How many in this group use kickstands? I've been tossing the idea in my head about putting it on my touring bike but I'm not sure. The weight and other factors have me on the fence. What do you think?.
You've made 577 posts, of which a whopping 346 were new threads you've started. You usually never reply to questions or posts in your threads. You start new discussions about the same things, typically parts and materials. This is your 3rd thread about kickstands, for example. Why? Boredom? Do you even read the responses?
Likes For axolotl:
Old 10-14-21, 07:07 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Sorry

I am sorry to axlotl and any others who may be upset with my post .I don't remember everything I posted over the years. (All the Cancer meds I take doesn't help any.) Please forgive me. I just ask a simple question in regards for a kickstand for my touring bike. Again, sorry.
Old 10-14-21, 08:23 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I am with macus t, as I went for many years without a kickstand. I use a basic greenfield, but made a custom collar that wraps around with a wing nutted pinch collar, which makes it adjustable length, and it has a 1- 1/2" (38mm) washer welded to the bottom, so it does not sink into sand.
Old 10-14-21, 09:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Just use that fence.

Or signpost

Or random bits of maritime equipment

Or bits of stadiums

Or bridges

Or even the ground

Or various historic buildings

Or low walls

Or rocks

A bike leaning against just about anything (or laying on the ground) isn’t prone to falling over. I’ve had more problems with fall overs with kickstands than without.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-14-21, 09:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I'm fine with "do what you want." I'm fine with "I do this because ..." or "I do that because ..." I'm not fine with "I do this and if you do that you're a moron!" Unfortunately, if you go back and look at previous kickstand threads, too many of them have devolved into that kind of flame war.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-14-21, 12:04 PM
Happy Feet

I'm fine with "do what you want." I'm fine with "I do this because ..." or "I do that because ..." I'm not fine with "I do this and if you do that you're a moron!" Unfortunately, if you go back and look at previous kickstand threads, too many of them have devolved into that kind of flame war.
Ok. From the post I thought you were referring to something someone said here.

Other than "don't use a crappy one" I have no strong feelings either way. It's not a piece of safety gear, like a mirror or light, that might generate some sort of strong opinion to my way of thinking.
Old 10-14-21, 03:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

... Unfortunately, if you go back and look at previous kickstand threads, too many of them have devolved into that kind of flame war.
Yeah, I have read some of them too. And lots of non-kickstand threads too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.