Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How To: Tubus Duo rack on Long Haul Trucker

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-05-21, 02:24 AM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

You would assume probably the second most ubiquitous low rider rack, behind the Tara, would bolt straight onto probably the most ubiquitous touring bicycle, a Surly Long Haul Trucker. It seems not.

The curve in the fork and rack dont work together and mean you need to space the rack out more than the included Tubus hardware allows. A Shimano cam style skewer is also nowhere near fitting.

The following is how I mounted the rack and what hardware I used. Whether you are comfortable with the extra bolt length and spacers at the dropout is up to you to decide. Rack is sturdy and works fine for me. Wheel drops in and out as normal. Skewer clears in pictured position. Any questions please ask. Or just buy a Tara and dont bother with the faff.

Hardware needed, some of this is supplied with the rack. I just used what was easily available to me.

4x M5 x 30mm g12.9 socket cap bolts, used for the dropout eyelet and outer fork mount
2x M5 x 12mm g12.9 socket cap bolts, used for the inner fork mount
6x M5 round washer
2x M5 nyloc nuts, used on inside of dropout
2x threaded presta valve stem nuts, used as spacer on outer fork mount to prevent bolts meeting inside the fork. You can use a better fitting M5 washer if you have one.

2x bushings from worn out 7 speed road rear derailleur guide and tension pulleys.
These are 9mm wide. I used some from 7 speed rx100. These are optional, you can use the supplied Tubus spacers which are 8mm, these just mean there is less "self adjustment" needed in the rack when tightening. These are used for the outer fork mount.

4x bushings from worn out 9 speed mtb rear derailleur guide and tension pulleys.
These are 7mm wide. Since these were from my junk parts box and not removed from a derailleur i'm not 100% sure which specific rd they came from. These are used at the dropout eyelet.

Here is the hardware listed above mounted on the bolts. From top to bottom, inner fork mount, outer fork mount, dropout eyelet.

Closer view.

Here is the small difference between the 7 speed rd bushing used as the fork spacer and the ortlieb supplied spacer.

Outer fork bolt.

Fork spacer and inner bolt. You may be better off using the Tubus spacer with a washer on the inside of the rack mount.

Dropout inner nut.

Skewer position and clearance.

Rack clearance.

Rack mounted.

Last edited by metalrideroz; 11-05-21 at 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For metalrideroz:
Old 11-05-21, 05:13 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Very neat.
I felt the reach to my down tube water bottle was a little too long. I took my smallest hole saw and cut two pieces from a ~1/2" board, oiled them and remounted the bottle cage with slightly longer bolts, and it solved the problem.
Old 11-07-21, 07:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
For what it's worth, my feeling from experience is that it's not uncommon to have to improvise with front racks. I had to with my Tara and Troll. I was lucky and a smart mechanic knew the tricks for doing the fender setup, and he helped make me think differently of options for other bikes.
Old 11-07-21, 11:25 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 339 Posts
When I used the appropriate holes for the rack, it was at an obvious angle, front down. I wanted it level, so I used the fender holes and now it is level.
Old 11-08-21, 02:10 AM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
When I used the appropriate holes for the rack, it was at an obvious angle, front down. I wanted it level, so I used the fender holes and now it is level.
Are you riding one of the larger frame models with 700c wheels? Mine is 26 inch. That may explain it, though you would think the fork mounts would still be spaced the same? Anyway, glad you got it working.
Old 11-08-21, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by metalrideroz
Are you riding one of the larger frame models with 700c wheels? Mine is 26 inch. That may explain it, though you would think the fork mounts would still be spaced the same? Anyway, glad you got it working.
700c