Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting back into shape after COVID

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting back into shape after COVID

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 07:43 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. The doctors , nurses and pulmonary folks I have talked to say that people that are hospitalized and needed an oxygen supplement will probably take longer to recover.
I had three days in an ICU room then came home with oxygen that I was able to stop using after about four days.
After two weeks home had a recheck at Dr office and lungs were declared clear.
I then started riding smart trainer, first few times just 15 minutes. I progressed quickly to a half hour . Then did an hour and felt tired but ok . Then I did an hour the next day. The next day I was totally wasted and it lasted days.
That set me back , it was too much to soon and made me wary for a while.
I think older athletes will notice the effect of this disease much more than their sedentary counterparts because we are active. We need to try to get back where we were or risk not ever getting it back .
Currently I am riding every other day outside. I am tracking my rides on Strava. I am increasing my time and distance ten to fifteen percent at a time. Yesterday I was fatigued after but not during the ride of 12.5 miles.The plan seems to be working out now.Goal is to get back to my typical 20 to 30 miles with occasional rides up to 40.
My advice if you are old avoid Covid.
This can be much more than a cold.
My only known risk factor was my age.
Old 07-04-23, 06:03 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Sounds like your taking things slowly which is the smart route. I totally agree this can be much more than a cold. Take care of yourself and stay safe!