Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Knee Pain After Changing Stem

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 02:54 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Appreciate any thoughts you guys have. I'm trying to get in to see my LBS fit guy, but he's booked up this week. Want to make some adjustments before hand to get some seat time in.

The long and short is that I went back to my original stem after using a alternative one for two years that was elevated at a significant angle and slightly longer to help with a back issue. I can certainly put it back on, but really started not to like the setup reach wise over the course of time. This of course means that I am riding more hunched over and my arms/head/etc is lower than before.

Anyway, since switching back I'm getting knee discomfort/pain on the front side of the knee almost dead center vertically on both knees. It also feels like something in that area is unstable after the rides when I walk around. Not sure how to describe that last part better, but it is something that is directly tied to this.

These rides are short. I'm talking 5-10 miles here, as I'm just getting everything readjusted. Is that kind of knee pain/discomfort associated with anything more generally (seat too high?).

CAAD-9
Old 05-05-14, 05:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Pain in front of knee = saddle too low. Usually. Don't hunch. Roll your pelvis forward so your sit bones are in firm contact with the saddle and your back is straight from pelvis to shoulder.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...discovery.html
Old 05-08-14, 01:59 PM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Right. The back issue will require some form tweaks and additional flexibility, but think that will get there with work.

Knee issues were much better today after some increased seat height. Thanks.
Old 05-08-14, 04:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Berge20
Right. The back issue will require some form tweaks and additional flexibility, but think that will get there with work.

Knee issues were much better today after some increased seat height. Thanks.
Happy to help. Thanks for the report.
Old 05-09-14, 06:11 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berge20
Appreciate any thoughts you guys have. I'm trying to get in to see my LBS fit guy, but he's booked up this week. Want to make some adjustments before hand to get some seat time in.

The long and short is that I went back to my original stem after using a alternative one for two years that was elevated at a significant angle and slightly longer to help with a back issue. I can certainly put it back on, but really started not to like the setup reach wise over the course of time. This of course means that I am riding more hunched over and my arms/head/etc is lower than before.

Anyway, since switching back I'm getting knee discomfort/pain on the front side of the knee almost dead center vertically on both knees. It also feels like something in that area is unstable after the rides when I walk around. Not sure how to describe that last part better, but it is something that is directly tied to this.

These rides are short. I'm talking 5-10 miles here, as I'm just getting everything readjusted. Is that kind of knee pain/discomfort associated with anything more generally (seat too high?).

CAAD-9
Glad to hear that a reposition helped with the problem...

But, at the same time, I have to wonder if you are treating the symptom rather than the problem? That is, while technique and positioning can certainly make a difference, overall conditioning can have an equal or greater effect...

That is: Our bodies have a marvelous way of compensating for its weaknesses and deficiencies by using stronger parts. But then, when we over tax those stronger parts and they fail, we say 'have a bad ____________'.

There is not enough information to know whether your problem was caused by positioning or by lack of conditioning or both, but perhaps the problem was a warning -- and it is time to start some additional/cross training?
... Often fitters also work with conditioning. When you see him, stay open to hearing about other things that you can do to fix yourself rather than the bike...
Old 05-11-14, 09:43 PM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Good point George. It is easy to get into a routine that only includes cycling (I mean hey, we all love it), but that only works our body in a certain way. Undoubtedly I need core work, which probably would greatly help. It is something I've been working on via yoga, but perhaps a little additional direct work would be beneficial.