Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Component compatability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Component compatability

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 05:07 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Component compatability

Not sure if this is a really dumb question, but I've got two old bikes (a CAAD-9 and a Surly Crosscheck) and currently upgrading the old components on the road bike rather than buying a new one. Any reason that I couldn't just move those components over to the Surly? They are a little worn down, but would love to just get the old 105 stuff so I can shift like I do on my roadbike, as the Surly has downtube shifters installed......so not sure if that requires a lot more of an overhaul than I realize or not.

My skills are limited, but guess it's good practice.....
Old 09-25-19, 05:20 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
You could get fittings for where your downtube shifters goes, retro cable stops with barrel adjusters, but i doubt those 105 brifters from your Cannondale is compatible to V brakes, that's if your Surly surely has V brakes
Old 09-25-19, 05:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
You need to compare the various frame specs to see if they are the same. BB width and threading. Rear drop out width. Brake reach, to start with. Then tire widths and their clearances with the frame as well as the chainring/stay clearances. Cable stops and their locations.

There are various adapters for cable stops and front ders that might be needed too. Andy
Old 09-25-19, 08:30 PM
Berge20

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeh, this might be a bad idea. Ha. Defo the V-brakes I forgot all about.

Thx gents