Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fit, technique, or chain length?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-13-20, 06:55 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

So just starting to get out on a newly reconfigured machine (new seat, bars, gearing, etc.) and am experiencing what I'd normally describe as chain slack when I approach 90 rpm in my normal cruising gears on the flats. As I'm turning it over, there is a very slight moment where there's nothing before kicking in again. Not sure if this is easily answerable, so any thoughts on how to start narrowing it down between fit, technique, or chain length? I have been doing some self-fitting tweaks (admittedly not quite all the way there yet), and lord knows it could well be a combination of all three. The ratio is 11/30 on a 52/38 which is a bigger range than I'm used to and perhaps the chain needs to be longer to accommodate?

Sorry for the random mix of questions, but appreciate any perspectives. May just have to lug it into the LBS and get a top notch fit.
Old 03-13-20, 09:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Sounds like there is a dead spot in your pedal stroke, which could be from getting used to a different saddle height.

If the chain needed to be longer, you would already have ruined your drivetrain, & a longer chain would do nothing for your issue.

There's a slight possibility of a freehub issue.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-13-20, 10:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Check the freehub for drag, either by taking the chain off the spinning it, or lifting the rear wheel up, spinning the cranks up, then stopping. Do the cranks still want to go around? Even so, you would be feeling slack chain unless you had a dead spot in the stroke. So where's your dead spot?
Old 03-14-20, 10:41 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Berge20
So just starting to get out on a newly reconfigured machine (new seat, bars, gearing, etc.) and am experiencing what I'd normally describe as chain slack when I approach 90 rpm in my normal cruising gears on the flats. As I'm turning it over, there is a very slight moment where there's nothing before kicking in again. Not sure if this is easily answerable, so any thoughts on how to start narrowing it down between fit, technique, or chain length? I have been doing some self-fitting tweaks (admittedly not quite all the way there yet), and lord knows it could well be a combination of all three. The ratio is 11/30 on a 52/38 which is a bigger range than I'm used to and perhaps the chain needs to be longer to accommodate?

Sorry for the random mix of questions, but appreciate any perspectives. May just have to lug it into the LBS and get a top notch fit.
Your seat is most likely too high, causing you to not be able to pedal fluidly. Read this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
Old 03-15-20, 10:21 AM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for these thoughts all. Just noticed that my seat slipped back all the way somehow on the last ride w/o me noticing so going to fix that first and see where things are at. Will definitely circle back.
Likes For Berge20:
Old 03-15-20, 01:59 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Berge20
Thanks for these thoughts all. Just noticed that my seat slipped back all the way somehow on the last ride w/o me noticing so going to fix that first and see where things are at. Will definitely circle back.
Good catch. That will effectively "raise" your saddle, or more correctly, increase the extension of your leg, a bit, which could cause what you are seeing. Again though, I would read the article I posted.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-16-20, 10:02 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
When I switched from a fixed gear to a road bike, I had the exact same issue. Massive dead spots. I had become accustomed to letting the flywheel effect carry my feet through the deadspots. It took a few rides to smooth out my pedal stroke. I’d verify your fit, then work on actively pedaling circles.
Old 03-17-20, 07:50 AM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Good article, thanks.
Likes For Berge20: